2NL (6max) - What's going wrong??

• CraiGDaniel
      CraiGDaniel
      Bronze
      Hi pokerstrategy.

I have played about 40k hands at 2nl and can say i have lost nearly $50 or so...

I started playing online poker about 5 months ago. I started off by reading every article, book or video i could find. I have invested about 50/50 in poker revision and actual play..

I understand basic/advanced fundamentals of pot odds, ev, ranges, hand reading, bet sizing.. all that good stuff. Yet i am stuck at 2NL!

The last few days i am at a wits end as i just seem to be losing EVERY large pot and i can't understand where i am going wrong.. i'm almost always losing set over set or two pair over better two pair.. things like that.. my AA's net won is actually -$2 O.o.

I recently moved from FTP to Stars and started a fresh HUD database and currently only have 6.5k hands, but showing a huge $20 loss. I will post a few graphs and stats below and i would be so greatful if the community could give me some feedback and help me get out of this spiral.. i would like to keep this thread updated and show some green graphs!!

Cheers everyone!!

• 18 replies
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      just from one glance at your stats i can
      see that your WTSD is high at 34%.
      consider folding more or your marginal hands
      before showdown.
      hope it helps :f_biggrin:
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      what is your bet sizing and do you play your draws with odds?
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Read it, understand it, apply it.

Also you should switch to FR, why keep playing 6 max if your losing over $50 on NL2?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi CraigDaniel,

As already said the first thing that I see is your WTSD which is way too high. You should be between 24-28. It means that you are not folding enough.

You Preflop stats look ok to me, you are aware of position which is good.

You fold to blind steal look a bit high so you could maybe defend a little more, like 3B more from blinds.

Also your 3B looks a bit low (see above) - even though I am not sure what's the story with 3B at NL2.

Remember that at micro stakes what you want to do is to value bet when you have a big hand because people tend not to fold (like you in fact). Also since people don't really fold, when you value bet do it big. No point value betting 1/2 pot if they would call a 3/4 pot bet anyways!

One thing that is very important and that helped me a lot (and still now) is to post the hands you are not sure about on the Hand Evaluation Forum. You will get a coach and other experienced player to comment on your play, which is great. Post a couple of hands after each session and I am sure you will get to beat this limit.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Bronze
      yep u must have some 20-25% WTSD on NL2 + your 3bet is to much for NL2 I mean at NL 10 it was like to low but at NL2 there are just to much idiot who calls u all and postflop they donk, gose all in etc, with 2 high cards and u cant rly put them on range I mean I think I beat NL2 with only AA,KK,AK and still I was like always folding AK if did not hit a flop, I mean NL2 is all about ABC tight poker, dont squeeze there with hand like ATs etc only QQ/AK+ and yes if u start poker just now, I would suggest u to try FR first.
    • radiators66
      radiators66
      Bronze
      Hey guys, im new to poker too and i have problems in 2NL too. What is WTSD?
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      Originally posted by radiators66
      Hey guys, im new to poker too and i have problems in 2NL too. What is WTSD?
      Went to showdown.

Basically, whenever you voluntarily put money in the pot, it's how often you go to showdown, expressed as a percentage.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      WTSD stands for Went to Showdown.

Also, whilst your WTSD is too high, this might just be down to sample size since your W$SD is actually around the average.
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      nm
    • cgoldie
      cgoldie
      Bronze
      Although your WTSD is higher than average your winning the majority of showdown pots. with that rate the WTSD rate would be fine but it looks like the issue is likely a lack of pot control, your winning a lot of small pots, but losing a lot of big ones. If you cant control the size of the pot effectively and reverse that situation your better off just lowering and folding your second rate hands if the pot gets to large.

Try setting yourself a range for the pot size you want to play for with given hands and controlling the pot so that you get to showdown within that range and if the pot escalates to much e.g. the pot size has escalated to 90%+ of the top of the range on the flop if you call simply fold given the fact you can no longer control that pot as you wanted.

And always remember small pots for small hands, big pots for big hands!
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      wtsd is going to be a little higher because nl2 is alot more stationy/passive ppl dont know how to valuebet and call much lighter.

u shud probably loosen up alot in later positions, work on ur valuebetting skills and post some hands :)
    • minibiff
      minibiff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by brobz

Also you should switch to FR, why keep playing 6 max if your losing over $50 on NL2?
      Sorry for hijacking this thread.

But is it worth to read that thread if you only play 6max? :)
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by minibiff

I told him to switch to FR, or I wouldn't have told him to read the thread

Isn't it worth reading everything before posting your comment? :)
    • minibiff
      minibiff
      Bronze

I told him to switch to FR, or I wouldn't have told him to read the thread

Isn't it worth reading everything before posting your comment? :)
      Hehe, I think you misunderstood me.. Im playing 6max only, and im not sure if i should read that thread since its for FR. But some stuff should still be right on 6max.. am i right?

Hehe :)
    • lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Hehe, I think you misunderstood me.. Im playing 6max only, and im not sure if i should read that thread since its for FR. But some stuff should still be right on 6max.. am i right?

Hehe :)
      the concept is the same, so yes :)

btw: göteborg sucks :s_biggrin:
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mopenza
      yep u must have some 20-25% WTSD on NL2 + your 3bet is to much for NL2 I mean at NL 10 it was like to low but at NL2 there are just to much idiot who calls u all and postflop they donk, gose all in etc, with 2 high cards and u cant rly put them on range I mean I think I beat NL2 with only AA,KK,AK and still I was like always folding AK if did not hit a flop, I mean NL2 is all about ABC tight poker, dont squeeze there with hand like ATs etc only QQ/AK+ and yes if u start poker just now, I would suggest u to try FR first.
      This is dead wrong. If people call 3bet with junk, you offcourse 3bet value hands like AQ,AJ, KQ, KJs, JJ, TT. You want to get value for your good hands, so building the pot before the flop is good when you get it in with good equity pre. But don't 3bet suited connectors and 3 bet bluffs off course. And yes, squeezing range should probably be a little tighter especially OOP.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      [GUIDE] Essential reading for new players

download the PDF (1st link).

will give you a surefire strategy for beating 6 max. just make sure to employ your handreading skills properly, and learn when to fold, and when to bet thin.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Heya, thanks for the PDF - Read an article by 'verneer' in Bluff mag just yesterday :)

Thanks