nibbana
      Bronze
      Nadal 3-0 Murray is almost certain on Clay imo
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbana
      Nadal 3-0 Murray is almost certain on Clay imo
      Hmm, have you been watching the tournament so far? I wouldn't really say it's that certain. Nadal ain't playing at best (probably far behind that), whereas Murray is doing relatively well, despite his ankle injury.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      On Clay
      15/2011 ATP Monte-Carlo Rafael Nadal 6-4 2-6 6-1
      15/2009 ATP Monte-Carlo Rafael Nadal 6-2 7-6(4)
      20/2008 ATP Hamburg . . .Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2

In Slams
      25/2010 Wimbledon . . . Rafael Nadal 6-4 7-6(6) 6-4
      3/2010 Australian Open Andy Murray 6-3 7-6(2) 3-0 ret.
      35/2008 U.S. Open . . . . Andy Murray 6-2 7-6(5) 4-6 6-4
      26/2008 Wimbledon . . . Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2 6-4
      3/2007 Australian Open Rafael Nadal 6-7(3) 6-4 4-6 6-3 6-1
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jkob
      Hmm, have you been watching the tournament so far? I wouldn't really say it's that certain. Nadal ain't playing at best (probably far behind that), whereas Murray is doing relatively well, despite his ankle injury.
      No I haven't watched too much of it, I just don't think Murray can mix it with Nadal on clay from the 2 matches I've seen in the past
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      You have to keep in mind that I'm asking if Murray can win at least 1 set. I've made a bet +3.5 in sets on both matches (that means at least 3-1 on both matches, no matter who wins) for 200€ in order to win 600€.

And yes, I am aware of the past statistics between the players, but so far in this tournament Murray has been quite solid, whereas Nadal has MANY difficulties and he is not playing his best atm, so I think Murray could win at least one set here. Well...I certainly hope he can haha :)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      You have to keep in mind the fact that he's British ! So he'll bottle it on the big stage. To be fair he played well the first two sets though it looks as though my prediction could be coming true...

Looks like you made a good bet from the way Murray's played, I can't see the other match being a whitewash either way - just need a bit of luck for Murray to pick a set up now.

PS
      You said Nadal "ain't playing at best (probably far behind that)" and "has MANY difficulties" but he's not dropped a set since the first round ? How bad can it be ?
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Yeah, he was playing great today (Nadal that is). Murray had 18 break chances but only managed to get only 3. It was a fantastic match in my opinion, even the 3rd set was good, Murray didn't give in, and that's what counts!

Well, I lost a bet, but Murray only confirmed to me, he is my nr 1 player, he's play is just so more watchable and enjoyable, full of creativity. Imo, it's really only that tiny bit of advantage in the mindset that Nadal and Novak have, that is setting Murray apart from being at the top.

Don't have anything against Nadal, he played superb, but he also had quite some luck (so did Murray agreed), and is better conditioned from psychological perspective.

All in all, awesome match. Now I'm just hoping that Federrer beats Novak :)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Well you got your wish !

I felt the same as you a couple of years back, used to watch a lot of the Masters matches 2008-2009 and was impressed with Murray's progress. I liked how he was willing to try shots that other people called "stupid" just because he felt like it was right and how he developed such great disguise on his forehand seemingly out of nowhere. It just seems like there has been little progress made since then, he's a mile ahead of all those outside the top 4 but looks a mile behind those in the top 3 when it comes to these big matches ie:

He's made the Semi Finals in the slams 6 times

3 times he won
      bt Nadal in 4 US 2008
      bt Cilic in 4 Aus 2010
      bt Ferrer in 4 Aus 2011
      The 3 losses
      to Roddick in 4 Wim 2009
      to Nadal in straight sets Wim 2010
      to Nadal in straight sets Fre 2011

And the three finals he went on to lose:
      to Federer in straight sets US 2008
      to Federer in straight sets Aus 2010
      to Djokovic in straight sets Aus 2011

Still I'll keep cheering him - bring on the Grass !
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbanaI liked how he was willing to try shots that other people called "stupid" just because he felt like it was right and how he developed such great disguise on his forehand seemingly out of nowhere.
      This exactly lol. I don't know, I just love his playing style, he seem to deviate a lot from the other 3, the lines look more creative, more daring and definitely more watchable/enjoyable. The problem is there is a high chance he misses quite a few of these "hard" shots in a row and kinda gets tilty. Though it really is, in my opinion, the case of a mindset that sets him that much behind the "holy 3". He had gazzilion of break chances today, but yet kept playing too defensively, as if he was afraid...maybe not of Nadal himself, but at least afraid of trying to...be himself and try to make some daring and ferocious moves.

I don't know, I'll definitely keep on cheering for him, hadn't done nothing to disappoint me, he's certainly a fighter and I think he's period is yet to come!

As for the Roland Garros, can't wait for the sunday finals, gonna be totally wicked imo. Nadal seems somehow solid now and Federrer is also pwning @ RG.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      lol @ nibbana calling the whitewash on the back of Murray being British. :f_biggrin:

Kudos to nibbana for calling it correctly!

To be honest, I'll stick with Federer. A consummate pro, a great strategic player, a fighter, a champion.

It's nice to watch a game well played by a fighting player, but until Murray gets over that mental hurdle, that's all he'll be. He has to convert more than 3/18 break points - maybe he could go anti-Rusedski and represent Canada to get the press off his back?
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Just for the record I think Murray will win today or lose in 5 sets to Nadal !
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbana
      Just for the record I think Murray will win today or lose in 5 sets to Nadal !
      Ha, I think so too. I think he is really rocking these days. I hope for the win, even placed a bet on it ;)
    • Mako2d2f
      Mako2d2f
      Bronze
      meh, Nole is taking this.
    • Mako2d2f
      Mako2d2f
      Bronze
      ^

easy money :s_cool: :s_cool: