[NL2-NL10] 88 nl2 (Folded full-house)

• MMM69
      MMM69
      Bronze
      $0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed) (Used PokerStrategy HandConverter)

Known players:
      MP1 = ($1.73)
      MP2 = ($1.49)
      MP3 = ($0.74)
      CO = ($1.57)
      BU (Hero) = ($1.92)
      SB = ($1.19)
      BB = ($1.19)

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8, 8.
      3 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.07) J, T, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.15) T (2 players)
      CO bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.04.

River: ($0.27) J (2 players)
      CO bets $1.45(All-In), Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

======================================================================================================

Hi, this is the first time I folded full-house (also the first time I'm posting on hand-evaluation forum :) ) and I'm worried if it was a bad fold because the CO was a loose passive player (sorry I'm too newbie to have any stats). Do you think CO had either Jacks or 10? Also should I have raised on the flop and not 3-bet on the turn? Thanks in advance!

MMM69
  • 5 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Pretty awkward hand!

I'm not a hand judge but just posting some of my thoughts on it for you until he evaluates it :)

Preflop if you think he is loose passive you could isolate here and raise to 0.08 or so, but not a mistake to call I don't think.

On the flop it's hard

What were the colours of the flop? (suits)

You need to protect your hand a here so I would raise the flop, he'll have a hard time getting away from a J, and a T as well maybe, especially if he's loose, and any other draws he may have you can get paid from

But as played on the turn, raise it (you aren't 3betting here, you're just raising :) ) to around 0.12, 0.14. Just imagine his 0.02 bet is a check and add that to the pot, so you want about 2/3 of 0.17c.

I think unfortunately you have to fold the river. Your opponent has showed no strength really, but then shoves on the river. He could just have trash, but without any stats on him you did the right thing I think. Nice fold :]
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hi, nice fold! However other than that there's alot of room for you to improve your play in this hand.

Preflop I like raising because we're in position and give ourself a chance to take it down even if we miss and control the size of the pot if we have a marginal hand on the flop. However some good players don't mind limping behind with pocket pairs so it's not too bad.

On the flop i prefer raising as there is at least one strong draw there (dunno about flush draws). Also if you raise now rather than later it looks less strong and more bluffy. And by raising whilst the pot is still small it grows exponentially on later streets without a reraise looking quite as scary to your opponents.

Having said that i'd raise the turn because of his bet sizing and potential draws. I'd happily stack off if he shoved turn

The river card is really bad news for us, unfortunately. Any ten and any jack now beats us and he's representing one or the other. It's very unlikely he'll do this as a pure bluff in my opinion so best to just fold.
    • MMM69
      MMM69
      Bronze
      Oh the flop was rainbow colored and by the river there was no three cards of same suit so he couldn't have had a flush. On the flop I was worried that he'd fold if I raised him so I tried to slow play for value (as I hit a set) but I guess that was a mistake :( .

Anyway thanks so much for the replies, helped me heaps!
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MMM69
      Oh the flop was rainbow colored and by the river there was no three cards of same suit so he couldn't have had a flush. On the flop I was worried that he'd fold if I raised him so I tried to slow play for value (as I hit a set) but I guess that was a mistake :( .

Anyway thanks so much for the replies, helped me heaps!
      Nowdays raising your set on the flop is probably going to get you more money.

If the person who bets on the flop is loose or has a hand they'll carry on.

But currently, pretty much everyone who hits a set calls on the flop, raises on the turn, which is just obvious strong play :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MMM69,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Try next time posting suits as well. :) Should be a right button which will take suits too.

Flop: Raise it here, you have to protect!
      Turn: Why not to raise bigger here? Your raise is way too small.
      River: And not much to add, you are definitely beat. Any Jx/Tx beats you now. And he wont shove with worse. Easy fold.

Best regards.