forever the loser

• 21 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      As many people are about to tell you 100 games is nothing.

Just keep reviewing hands, posting them in the sng section, keep practising ICM and most of all just keep playing you need to play a lot more games than this to tell if you are a winner/loser.

just keep at it persistance is the key here good luck
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      40% ITM and negative? It seems to me it's time to study a lot and improve your heads up game...
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      40% ITM and negative? It seems to me it's time to study a lot and improve your heads up game...
      I have been getting tutoring in my heads up game (and short game in general) from a better player who plays the same stakes. It has helped somewhat but I still have a long way to go.

For interest's sake, here is my finish distribution:

1st - 9%
      2nd - 10%
      3rd - 19%
      4th - 12%
      5th - 10%
      Other OOTM - 40%

Now that I'm less angry perhaps people could chime in with some analysis.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      your playing STT without first developing your cash game, I think thats your first mistake
      are you posting hands?

STT are high variance to begin with, I don't think you can build a decent bankroll in a short amount of time playing 1$ STT

Build your foundation, Cash games are the foundation

thats my 2 cents anyway and it helped me out, I just hit a run of good tournies(after developing more on my cash game by posting hands and what not) with my $50 capital and got to a little over $500, dropped down to 450$ and now I am back at NL10 and going to crush it(just won 300BB today ina hr session)

If you cant stand cash games then do MTT, beleive it or not they may be easier for you considering STT turn into short handed play really fast which takes adjusting to

Why not do those 1$ SNG with like 18ppl? I could e-mail you a book that should help you alot with those SNG's if you are interested
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by brobz
      your playing STT without first developing your cash game, I think thats your first mistake
      are you posting hands?

STT are high variance to begin with, I don't think you can build a decent bankroll in a short amount of time playing 1$ STT

there are a lot of players who make a fortune at SNGs but totaly suck at cash and the other way around also. imo you dont need to play cash games first you just play what you enjoy playing theres no point playing cash if you suck and don't enjoy it otherwise your motivation for the game will start to drain
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver

Why not do those 1$ SNG with like 18ppl? I could e-mail you a book that should help you alot with those SNG's if you are interested
      Also surely this would only increase the variance, just get some more volume in belayd and make sure to keep posting hands, do some sweat sessions too with a few different people playing the same stakes as you they are one of the best ways to improve imo
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      when you have so much difference between 1 place and 3 place obviously your game sucks when 3 people left.When both your red and green line goes down obviously you misread people ranges and you dont make optimal plays..
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      are you posting hands?

thats my 2 cents anyway and it helped me out, I just hit a run of good tournies(after developing more on my cash game by posting hands and what not) with my $50 capital and got to a little over $500, dropped down to 450$ and now I am back at NL10 and going to crush it(just won 300BB today ina hr session)

If you cant stand cash games then do MTT, beleive it or not they may be easier for you considering STT turn into short handed play really fast which takes adjusting to

this is totally wrong.Sng are the most easy form of poker to understand.All players are start from sng and when they are very good on them,they are switching in cash games which are a more complicated form of poker.Sng helps you to understand equities,ranges(simply staff) while cash games are most post flop game.durrr began from sng and galfond said that sng are the very basic form of poker.Not easy to be A game player but cash games are much more difficult.And no need to by books.THis site is the best for sngs.I dont know about cash but when lessthanthreee and chenny make so good videos then you dont need something more than watching and training
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      yea way easier than micro cash games lol whatever man durr and galfond know best dont they
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      are you posting hands?

there are a lot of players who make a fortune at SNGs but totaly suck at cash and the other way around also. imo you dont need to play cash games first you just play what you enjoy playing theres no point playing cash if you suck and don't enjoy it otherwise your motivation for the game will start to drain
      true i guess it just depends on the person, I cant stand STT myself
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Interesting discussion. I started off at cash games and, despite following BSS, bled money like a stuck pig for several weeks until I switched to SNGs. I tried the $1+20 ones but switched to the $2+25 ones because they're within BRM for me and the rake is proportionately less. I wasn't any more successful at the 1+20s than I am not at the 2+25s. In fact, at the 2+25s, I've actually done better.

The high proportion of 3rd place finishes (more than twice as many as either 1s or 2nd places) makes it obvious that my short game needs to improve. I watched one of chenny's videos on STTs today and learned quite a bit from it, and am playin around with ICM Trainer Lite.

How many STTs would people say is a decent sample? I'm figuring about 300 ought to tell me whether there's any hope or whether I should stop playing until I've done extensive study.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      at say you need at least 1k games to start to tell maybe 3k+ to really know but im no expert.

You say whether I should stop playing until I've done extensive study.

Why cant you extensively study while you play. Mark hands to review each session then when you finish the session have a look over them if your not sure about them post them in the sng forum, even post ones you think you are sure about sometimes egos can get in the way of us improving our game i know it does for me a lot.

Or maybe review your last session just before you start a new one so things are fresh in your mind different things work for different people right?

Have you read <3's blog from the start? he has some great reviews and insight in there it really is a must read for new SNG players i think
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Thanks, EUO. I already do hand review, but so far I've found very few hands where it was unclear to me what happened without my needing to consult someone else. Typically it's a matter of me making a poor decision, a worse opponent donking me, or just me pitting a strong hand against a stronger hand in one of those confrotations that happen to everyone and you can't do anything about. But what I'll do is filter my hands in HEM for three or fewer opponents and give those some extra attention.

Who is <3 and what is the title of that person's blog? I'll start at the first page and read the first two pages, and if I see benefit in it I'll read the whole thing.
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      Originally posted by belayd
      Thanks, EUO. I already do hand review, but so far I've found very few hands where it was unclear to me what happened without my needing to consult someone else. Typically it's a matter of me making a poor decision, a worse opponent donking me, or just me pitting a strong hand against a stronger hand in one of those confrotations that happen to everyone and you can't do anything about. But what I'll do is filter my hands in HEM for three or fewer opponents and give those some extra attention.

Who is <3 and what is the title of that person's blog? I'll start at the first page and read the first two pages, and if I see benefit in it I'll read the whole thing.

who is the lessthanthree?and you play sng?you can close the site and unistall poker now
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by gekitsios
      who is the lessthanthree?and you play sng?you can close the site and unistall poker now
      How about you fuck off?

If you can't say something helpful, don't say anything at all.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      Originally posted by gekitsios
      How about you fuck off?

If you can't say something helpful, don't say anything at all.
      lol no doubt well said man

n belayd post hands regardless if u fo ur own review, you'll miss things like bet sizing or other leaks that the judges will point out to u, plus its free
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Thanks for the support, brobz. But I'm still waiting for someone to tell me who lessthanthree is and more importantly WHAT THE TITLE OF THEIR BLOG IS.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Lessthanthree is a poker coach on PokerStrategy, potentially the best SNG player on the site. He regularly plays the 109's and up. His blog is here:

<3 SnG blog : running for charity ITT!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      Lessthanthree is a poker coach on PokerStrategy, potentially the best SNG player on the site. He regularly plays the 109's and up. His blog is here:

<3 SnG blog : running for charity ITT!
      And also he has had just one continuous blog which charts his journey all the way from either the $1 or $2 games so it really is a great read for anyone who plays SNGs either just starting or someone with a lot of experience