Cash or Sit n Go ???

• crockett365
      crockett365
      Bronze
      Heyy

My names Jak I started on PS not too long ago and began on the sit n gos as this was what I knew how to play and since ive built my bankroll up to about $100 from $50. Ive been wondering as to if ive been playing the right game to build my bankroll. The sit n gos are good but the variance can kill any attempt of building a decent bankroll and more than once ive been subject to a long run of ridiculous bad beats. I know this is a part of poker but I was wondering if I should switch to cash games and come back later to sit n gos. Am I right or am i just thinking the grass is greener ?? Any comment on this would be helpful :f_biggrin:

thanks
  • 6 replies
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      you should not forget that there is a variance in cash as well :D
      I started playing cash games (I was such a fish when I started - knew nothing about nothing, just trying to hit the flop), so I never really played cash as an experienced player. I'm just playing tourneys and SnG's ...
      You can try playing cash for some decent time and you will see for yourself. Everyone prefers one or the other, it is hard to tell which one to play
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      There is variance in all games of poker, it's just a fact of the game, I'm afraid.

You might find that you prefer cash, or you might prefer sit and gos, it's about working out what's right for you!

I would say one thing though, both forms require you to learn and improve, so do check out our video section and most importantly, post some hands in our hand evaluation forums to get advice and tips from the pros! This is so important to improve your game and keep that bankroll growing. Great work thus far, keep it up and let us know how you get on! :)
    • crockett365
      crockett365
      Bronze
      thanks for the replies!!! Ill be sticking with sit n gos I think. I kind of expected those answers and I just wasnt sure. Thanks again
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by crockett365
      thanks for the replies!!! Ill be sticking with sit n gos I think. I kind of expected those answers and I just wasnt sure. Thanks again
      great to hear! Do let us know how you get on! :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      i think whats most important is that you play which ever game type you enjoy the most. Whichever form of poker you enjoy the most is the one you will have the most enthusiasm to learn and not get bored, distracted and start making silly mistakes imo anyway.

Good luck mate
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      The variance appears to be lowest at limit holdem, then second-lowest at STTs (single-table tournaments), then third-lowest at NL cash, then higher at multitable SNGs, and highest at MTTs. If you have a problem with variance I would recommend you play limit. But some players are naturally more suited to NL and some to limit, so in the end you might want to try a bunch of diffferent game variants and see which ones go best for you. And don't be fixated on holdem, either--try 7-card stud, 5-card draw, Omaha, etc. Some players have found very nice niches in oddball games such as 2-7 triple draw. In fact, there are two bloggers with very lively draw poker blogs right now.