This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

poker suicidality

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I define "poker suicidality" as the recurring but temporary urge to quit poker forever. It's not a desire to commit suicide in a literal sense, just to give up your dream of someday being a meaningfully profitable player. I experience it about once a week and I usually do quit poker totally for a few hours or maybe a day, but then I end up coming back to the tables once my emotions have stabilized and I've recovered my enthusiasm for playing again.

Can anyone relate? Let's hear your poker suicide stories!
  • 7 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Wish you'd have a thread starting suicidality
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I wouldn't define it as suicidality, but i'm assuming we all get pissed occasionally i guess...

It's a standard take a break and don't play on tilt, or knowing that you can't play your best game atm.

I've found that I am less phased by bad beats then I used to be, so I'll stop playing in the knowledge that I can't play my best rather than being annoyed.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      that's standart break, You need to get brake from time to time in every job. And poker is stresfull so you need more vacations.

Though I never think about quiting I gues.
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      i have that allot... i begin verry motivated for 2 / 3 days... than all the river nutfuck fish begin to annoy the shit out of me (hence last 3 a 4 days i get sucked out allot (yesterday me AQ vs A3 opponent and he hits 2 pair.. hey it happends but this shit happends allot! and in my memory it always happends)... so than i take a break for a week and than begin playing again for a few days..

my mindset sucks...
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Roachor
      i have that allot... i begin verry motivated for 2 / 3 days... than all the river nutfuck fish begin to annoy the shit out of me (hence last 3 a 4 days i get sucked out allot (yesterday me AQ vs A3 opponent and he hits 2 pair.. hey it happends but this shit happends allot! and in my memory it always happends)... so than i take a break for a week and than begin playing again for a few days..

my mindset sucks...
      yes, it does
      :coolface:
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      Suck outs and the like are just a part of poker, I've played it for long enough now to know that regardless of the best pre flop hand it's about the post flop play that really matters.

I had a week off just, really questioning my play etc.. totally worth it, back to cashing in 2/4 tournaments. Negative attitude really does equal to negative play.

Although earlier i had AJs and had a major suckout to the original raiser who had 73o. Really stunned me that one, 4 hours of play then BAAAAM. Crippled.

Note to self - work on post flop play :P
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      I also have never gotten to the point of quitting for good, but today for example wasnt a great day, just loss, no profit and out on the bubble n stuff, so doubts do come up, but give up for good? Never! *puts on hero cape* ;)