poker suicidality

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I define "poker suicidality" as the recurring but temporary urge to quit poker forever. It's not a desire to commit suicide in a literal sense, just to give up your dream of someday being a meaningfully profitable player. I experience it about once a week and I usually do quit poker totally for a few hours or maybe a day, but then I end up coming back to the tables once my emotions have stabilized and I've recovered my enthusiasm for playing again.

Can anyone relate? Let's hear your poker suicide stories!
  • 7 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Wish you'd have a thread starting suicidality
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I wouldn't define it as suicidality, but i'm assuming we all get pissed occasionally i guess...

It's a standard take a break and don't play on tilt, or knowing that you can't play your best game atm.

I've found that I am less phased by bad beats then I used to be, so I'll stop playing in the knowledge that I can't play my best rather than being annoyed.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      that's standart break, You need to get brake from time to time in every job. And poker is stresfull so you need more vacations.

Though I never think about quiting I gues.
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      i have that allot... i begin verry motivated for 2 / 3 days... than all the river nutfuck fish begin to annoy the shit out of me (hence last 3 a 4 days i get sucked out allot (yesterday me AQ vs A3 opponent and he hits 2 pair.. hey it happends but this shit happends allot! and in my memory it always happends)... so than i take a break for a week and than begin playing again for a few days..

my mindset sucks...
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Roachor
      i have that allot... i begin verry motivated for 2 / 3 days... than all the river nutfuck fish begin to annoy the shit out of me (hence last 3 a 4 days i get sucked out allot (yesterday me AQ vs A3 opponent and he hits 2 pair.. hey it happends but this shit happends allot! and in my memory it always happends)... so than i take a break for a week and than begin playing again for a few days..

my mindset sucks...
      yes, it does
      :coolface:
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      Suck outs and the like are just a part of poker, I've played it for long enough now to know that regardless of the best pre flop hand it's about the post flop play that really matters.

I had a week off just, really questioning my play etc.. totally worth it, back to cashing in 2/4 tournaments. Negative attitude really does equal to negative play.

Although earlier i had AJs and had a major suckout to the original raiser who had 73o. Really stunned me that one, 4 hours of play then BAAAAM. Crippled.

Note to self - work on post flop play :P
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      I also have never gotten to the point of quitting for good, but today for example wasnt a great day, just loss, no profit and out on the bubble n stuff, so doubts do come up, but give up for good? Never! *puts on hero cape* ;)