Yet Another Intro

• PerkiGoth
      PerkiGoth
      Bronze
      As I'm new here I figured I'd use good etiquette and introduce myself. I'm Perki for the people who are not in the habit of checking usernames. There's not much to say about myself honestly, I'm perhaps the most boring creature to walk the planet. As for how I got to poker and more importantly this site, there's the long story and the short story. Unlike most things, the two stories are not quite the same story, although they are related.

Let's start with the long story. Somewhere around the beginning of this year I got an idea for winning at roulette via a basic incrementive betting system. It work quite brilliantly, I made a 6:1 ROI although I constantly had this thought that it's a little fragile due to the nature of incrementive betting. Skip a small fortune forward and I lost said fortune, mainly due to being reckless by nature, but for once deciding to _not_ be reckless. This may sound odd, but I stood at the crossroads between withdrawing everything and inevitably spending it somewhat haphazardly, or keeping it there and retaining a potential source of income. I chose the latter and lost everything. Learning: 1 Shopping trip: 0. So following that I spent some time thinking about how to win, and accidentally hitting upon pot odds versus hand odds. Needless to say but in roulette even if one can make the win odds as high as 91% you have abysmal pot odds and thus nearly always come out with less than one started with. During this time I also discussed my stint with other people and heard bits and pieces about people profitably plying poker (yay for alliteration, it was accidental though). So I started wondering about the pot/hand odds of poker (didn't know the terms then however, but the concept worked).

The short story is basically just that I'm about to get kicked out of my house since I lost my job, my other job doesn't cover rent, only food and I haven't been able to find a new one.

So that combined is what brought me to poker. I figured that if I can play a good game I can maybe temporarily provide for myself via poker until I can find something a little more stable. So that's what brings me to the forums. I don't believe in gambling, so strategy would be the only other alternative.

Anyway, I won't bog this down with an even longer post, but that's essentially the relation between me, PS, and poker. Thanks for the read, and even greater thanks for the brilliant resources on this site.

[EDIT]: Something I forgot to ask, which games would you recommend a new player to start on? So for I've been playing limit Hold'em free games to actually figure out the hands and everything. So at the moment that's the only thing I'm even marginally familiar with. And I have no idea what the rest actually even is. Like I know SS means Short Stack, but I don't know what the actual game implications of that is. Nor the other ones. NL and FL are pretty easy to figure out, but I'm rather clueless about the rest.
  • 8 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey Perki,

welcome to our community! :) sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances in your recent past. many people here are living proof that it is possible to make a living out of poker, except (esp when you have no idea about the game yet) i feel compelled to warn you that it is not easy nor instant. it will take quite some time, talent, hard work and patience. i would advise you to take a look at some blogs of our poker pros maybe so you could get an idea what it is like.

as for the types of games, i really cant say what's the best. everyone starts out different. personally, i started with sng's, spent some time on sss, then moved to bss. i've never studied FL. i think sss is the easiest to play but can be also quite mechanical in the microlimits. it would take several articles to explain the differences of each, so i wont really get into it. best advice is probably simply to browse our strategy articles, try the games, and see what you like best. :D

good luck and have fun learning. dont forget to update us too!

smiles,
      Wendy
    • PerkiGoth
      PerkiGoth
      Bronze
      Thanks Purple. It is unfortunate that most things in life isn't instant. And the things that are instant are usually also short in duration. I'll definitely be looking at some blogs and I'll be reading some more articles once I have my bronze status (still waiting to get my $50 approved). For now though I'm playing play money games to get some familiarity with the game. I'm not doing brilliantly, but I'm not doing badly either, so far I seem to more or less break even in my games. Which I can wholly attribute to the advice of using a tight starting hand, although I have had times where I flopped or turned some horrific hands even with brilliant starting hands. But I'm learning at least. :)

Thanks, I'll look into SnG's a bit and SSS. For the moment I'm mostly playing cash games as there's not really much else with play-money games, but I'm thinking about entering a few freeroll games once I have my $50. It seems like a good starting point to play since one doesn't really have anything to lose, but with having something to gain I think it will be a little more realistic than play-money games.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      true statements. nothing is instant. except maybe winning the lottery. (and even then, you had to dress up, do the commute, and buy your ticket. hehe :D )

yeah, play money games tend to be a bit crazy :D you can already join freerolls now, no need to wait for your starting capital ;)
      it usually takes around 48 hours for id check, etc, so just sit tight.

you should check out TwiceT's blog. he has lots of insights for beginning players. oh, one of the polish coaches just started a blog. sapheal has plenty of good things to say. if you want to see someone start from the start (ie $50 starting capital), check jbpatzer's blog (it's funny too), or you could take a look at mine (although there is a lot of spam in there. just saying :D ).

although i still think reading strategy articles and practicing your game is still superior at this point to reading blogs :f_biggrin:
    • PerkiGoth
      PerkiGoth
      Bronze
      And once you bought the ticket you have to find out that you didn't win, rinse and repeat for twenty plus years... My grandmother plays lotto every once in a bit, so that and maths did great things to my disillusionment when it comes to the instantness of lotto. :)

That I found out yesterday. Most of the freerolls said they where closed and I didn't find the PS ones till yesterday. On a positive note, I got my $50 last night, it was a rather nice moment. ^_^

I have actually been reading yours, it was mentioned somewhere so I went over to have a look. Curiosity and all that. >_> It's pretty entertaining, but half of what is said in relation to poker leaves me looking like this. -> ?( It makes for a pretty entertaining read though. ^_^ I'll check the other ones out sometime too. And I might start my own sometime, though I suppose it would end up more as a journal than a blog really.

Yeah I've been reading tons of strategy articles, though I got a little stuck after I got through the basic articles, though it appears that I'm bronze now so I'll start on the bronze articles. :) And reading blogs are _fun_ they distract one from actually having to _do_ anything. :P

As a progress note, I played my first money FL holdem 0.02/0.04 game today and I won an entire $0.21!!! :D I'm so happy!!! ^_^ (yes, sadly I'm sad like that :f_biggrin: ) It was rather ridiculous though, the people seem _so_ reticent about losing, a kitten saying "boo!" would make them fold, rather annoying honestly. And it also appears that they don't have any clue about the hands they're playing, it takes them forever to make a decision.

Anyways, I'm off, I have a ton of work (non poker related) to do.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      yea sometimes the freerolls fill up so fast. you really gotta be ready with your register button finger and fire at it once reg opens :D

omgomgomg! yes totally agree with your point of view on blogs. hehe... id be reading and then, omg, where has the time gone? where has the sun gone? :D

congrats on making it to bronze! so much more articles now. let's go for silver! lot of good articles there too :)

little things make me happy as well. someone shipped me $1 in fulltilt and i was delirious :D haha.

starting a blog seems like a great idea. be sure to let me know when you have one. ;)
    • PerkiGoth
      PerkiGoth
      Bronze
      Yeah, it's quite annoying really. I don't like having to be all hyped up and twitchy and all just to get to do something. Although today a similar thing happened with the cash games. I took like five minutes to find an open table. :f_confused:

The trouble starts appearing when instead of going: "Where has the sun gone" one starts to ask where one's life has gone. O_O I used to be heavily addicted to webcomics (still kind of am, but I'm not as bad as I used to be) and after a while the life question starts to be rather bothersome. :rolleyes:

Hold on! O_O Let me just get the hang of bronze first! I'm still kind of trying to figure out how everything works. >_>

I know! I made ~$3 today and it's like "Yaaayyy!!!". ^_^ I'm leaking like a sieve though. >_> I probably made like $5-$6 in total, but the rest went towards my losses. The worst bit is that I watch myself make bad calls. But I suppose that'll come right with a teensy bit of practice. :)

Oooh, I'll definitelly do so! I'm just trying to think of a title at the moment. >_> I'm bad like that, I believe that everything worth doing is worth having a good name or title and a good theme. :O
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      good grief, that life question freaks me out. even when i hear a song asking those types of questions, i get nervous.

finding the fold button is the first step to getting better. :f_love:
      (at least that's what it found my blog saying, somewhere at the start). it's a great feat, and even now, i still cant find the damn thing, every now and then. :f_eek:

our conversations are pretty fragmented its sometimes hard to follow. lol.

but its still cool :s_cool:
    • PerkiGoth
      PerkiGoth
      Bronze
      Yeah! Life questions are probably the scariest questions of them all. O_O Especially if one has to put up with expectations of how one's life "should" go. Like all the people (family and friends in particular) who keep pushing to get one to do something when one really only wants to do something completely different. But luckily for now in my case that's sorted, all I have to put up with is general life questions inspired by me. :D Doesn't make it much easier, but at least it's more natural. ^_^

Yeah, so far I think folding is the greatest skill required to play poker. :P So far I'm pretty good at folding before the flop, now I just need to learn to fold on the flop and then on the turn. Luckily I haven't had too many losses due to my difficulty with those, but I still _definitely_ need to work on those before I start actually getting losses from them.

My poker career has taken a bit of a hit though. My internet unexpectedly disappeared. :/ Not having internet makes playing online poker a mite difficult honestly. :rolleyes: My landlady doesn't like me at all, so she decided to just kill my internet. Which is technically in violation of the lease agreement, but I'm not feeling like making a scene just now since I'm likely moving next month.

Hehe, fragmented and hard to follow conversations are the best in my opinion! They make for the most fun. All those logical clinical conversations get a bit boring after a while. ^_^