Facing bigger kicker

• Tuvoc
      Tuvoc
      Bronze
      I really have no idea how i stand in this hand !!
      I guess it should be clear that he has something better then me on turn but i keept going ... !!

iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (10 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($1.98)
      UTG+2 ($0.97)
      MP1 ($1.37)
      MP2 ($1.96)
      MP3 ($1)
      Hero (CO) ($2.47)
      Button ($2)
      SB ($1.10)
      BB ($1.10)
      UTG ($2)

Preflop: Hero is CO with ,
      UTG bets $0.06, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.15) , , (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG raises to $0.56, Hero calls $0.26

Turn: ($1.27) (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62

River: ($2.51) (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.76 (All-In), Hero calls $0.76

Total pot: $4.03 | Rake: $0.26

Results:
      UTG had K, A (two pair, Aces and nines).
      Hero mucked A, Q (two pair, Aces and nines).
      Outcome: UTG won $3.77
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      This is a danger of calling an early position raise with AQ. When you hit an ace, or a queen, you don't know whether your hand is good, and if you show strength you have about the hand your opponent expects from the board. Either fold preflop, or play the hand so that you get more value from weaker hands while not paying off stronger hands so much.

It's pretty standard to play AQs after a raise from middle position, but early position raises, particularly UTG, tend to be much tighter and it's reasonable to fold AQs. It's only slightly profitable to fold one pair, perhaps a little better to flop the nut flush draw with overcards, and you don't flop better that often.

On the flop, why did you raise? What weaker hands did you feel would give you value, or what stronger hands would fold, or what draws would you charge on an A95r flop? Keep in mind that the raiser was UTG, and many players do not have AJo in their raising ranges from there. So, if you call preflop, then try calling on the flop, hoping that someone with a hand like JJ will give you more value later. This might pay off AK+ less while getting more from weaker hands.

Yes, as played I would fold on the turn if not to the tiny 3-bet on the flop.
    • Tuvoc
      Tuvoc
      Bronze
      Wow this is so great !!
      I guess i was not paying atention to the position when i saw my cards and that ruined my judgment !!
      when u sad utg rasied i was like !! rly :D !!

Thank u !!