ereaders are awesome
        29%
        I don't like reading at all
        7%
      Total: 72 Votes
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      in an other thread we had a small discussion about books and reading in our days
      Ingrid is more of the oldschool fraction
      whereas I pretty much love my kindle
      so what is your opinion?
      feel free to discuss the pros and cons of reading a "real" book and using a kindle
      and take part in the poll

oldschool

vs

modern style
  • 34 replies
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      i find that the e-reading products hurt my eyes after a while. and i get bored far more easy. another thing i like about real books is you can see how much you read and whats left
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by plebpl
      i find that the e-reading products hurt my eyes after a while. and i get bored far more easy. another thing i like about real books is you can see how much you read and whats left
      But this also disapoints me before i get to the end of a book because i know there isnt long left and i don't want it to end.

Always gonna be real books for me if somebody comes round to my house and sees a huge collection of books it gives the illusion im intellectual...or at least until they find out that the 7 harry potter ones are mine and the rest are my fiance's :f_biggrin:

Books smell good too don't get that from a kindle

I love libraries and used book stores too when i open the door its like the place is just full of magic all the stories waiting to jump out and transport you to another world something for me about the kindle detatches me from all of that feeling
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      I don't like reading at all but I would happily read an e-book with the lady in the picture, just saying.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hello Pascal!

Didn't think you would dear to create this thread but glad you did :)

You meant

oldschool

vs.

modern style

I mean, where is the fun in e-reading? How do you connect with the author, you can't even see the cover? How do you choose which book to read? Can you spill coffee on it and still look back in 10 years and see that special spot?

I think choosing a book is an important thing. I read from authors like Emil Ajar, Aravind Adiga and my new love is Oscar Wilde. I have to touch and feel the paper. Hear the scratch of how the pages turn under my finger.

I love to open my book in bed and enjoy a few pages with out making me feel like I just opened another "laptop" and have to look at the screen. Bad for your eyes, right?

Couldn't live with out having real books around me (I miss my book collection, still stuck in Brussels in my old apartment :( ).

what you guys think? To be honest, I never tried kindle yet, saw a few but looked like an Iphone clone to me.

Also, what are you guys reading currently? any goodies?

Ingi
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      get rid of the e-book and im happy with that situation
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      I love libraries and used book stores too when i open the door its like the place is just full of magic all the stories waiting to jump out and transport you to another world something for me about the kindle detatches me from all of that feeling
      +10000

Its one of the most special thing. It really takes you to a different world and holding an electronic device would probably spoil all that feeling.
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      hi

back home far far away I have plenty of normal books too
      but still a kindle is kind of super awesome

first of all
      a good ereader does not hurt the eyes
      it has nothing in common with an ipone or laptop display
      couldn't stand reading on these myself for very long
      and the big plus you can have your books with you everywhere you want
      everywhere and every book which is, if you look at the first picture, quite hard with normal ones
      that was basicly the reason why I bought a kindle, living in a foreign country it is pretty hard to find decent books
      and after I tried it I wouldn't ever give it back
      imagine you sit in a bus and have the option to choose if you want to read a poem by Poe or sth. by Oscar Wilde
      or you want to read sth. for university or a pokerbook
      or maybe you are a little tired and want to read some random girly stuff like Gabaldon and all this freedom of choice combined in one little device
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      i love new technology. I really do.

But until a kindle can handle me falling asleep on top of it whilst reading in bed, I'll take the old school option.

terms and conditions apply: if the lady in the picture of said ebook is included then I reserve the right to change my opinion! :D
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarcPS
      i love new technology. I really do.

But until a kindle can handle me falling asleep on top of it whilst reading in bed, I'll take the old school option.

terms and conditions apply: if the lady in the picture of said ebook is included then I reserve the right to change my opinion! :D
      haha, the amount of dribble that ends up on my books when i fall asleep on them, a kindle wouldnt last a night, and the amount of books ive dropped in the pool on holiday lol
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I'm away from home. I suddenly feel like reading a particular book. I turn on my Kindle, connect to Amazon (better than a library), buy the book and one minute later I'm reading it. How awesome is that? And you can see exactly how far you've got to go in a book with a Kindle, as there's a little bar at the bottom that tells you. And it doesn't hurt your eyes - it's electronic paper. And it's great for reading on the toilet, which is ofc where most dads are able to read. And I got the University to buy one for me. The downside of a Kindle are.......errrrrr......nonexistent.

Kindle :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:
      Paper books :f_mad: :f_mad: :f_mad:
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      I like Kindles too. They are pretty awesome.

But I still would instant break one ;)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      quote: '...it's great for reading on the toilet...'
      But when I'm finished reading the paper, if I didn't like it, I can always...:) Can't really do THAT with a Kindle can you!?

Me= oldschool.
    • jeffersonhope
      jeffersonhope
      Bronze
      Real books over e-reading any day. I agree completely with Ingrid's first post. I haven't read a lot of books but I've read quite a bit. The problem is that except Sherlock Holmes, I've forgotten most of the other things. I think it's clear that I'm a Sherlock Holmes nut and I can safely say that I would never have been so in love with the character and the stories if I hadn't had that huge volume in my hand.

Libraries as suggested before bring you in a different world altogether. E-reading, even in a library just doesn't seem to be coherent with the 'silence please' signs. I don't suggest that anyone does this but before dropping out of college I used to bunk each college day and sit in a library at the centre of my city. That was my routine, I read Don Juan thrice before I gave up on it, I read what not. The library staff actually thought that I was a member and used to reserve seats and stuff for me when all I was was a visitor each day.

I prefer to write though, as compared to reading. I can't read for long, but I can write for hours and hours on end.

P.S: +1 to the creator of the thread for creating this thread ! :)
    • jeffersonhope
      jeffersonhope
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN

Also, what are you guys reading currently? any goodies?

Ingi
      Since you read Aravind Adiga, try a book called 'May I Hebb Your Attention Pliss'. It's not a novel or short story, the author puts it humorously as a self help book. It's a bunch of sattirical and sarcastical comments and analysis of the current Indian society. In my opinion, Aravind Adiga forgot where to draw the line, this one can be viewed as a daring work since it will easily bring a lot of real heat on the author as it did. :)

I'm guessing that you've read Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh already. :)
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      kindle survived sleeping with me last night
      although I'm not sure if I lay on it :D

to sum things up
      I don't want to close every library and I surely don't want to burn "normal" books
      but still I think an ereader is a very valuable addon for people who love to read
      and not just for technical freaks

in fact the most asked question when showing it to someone is: "and what else can it do?"
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      I can't read. It kinda sucks and really should get that fixed up one day.
    • abnaxis
      abnaxis
      Bronze
      I've always been a fan of paper books and i always will be. The smell and feel of a book (im a fan of new ones mostly) is just irreplacable, so the feeling i get from being in a bookstore is insane :D . It's no wonder i spent half of my first day when i visited Prague in their insanelly large bookstore (screw buildings and architecture, give me books :P )

On the other hand though. I do use kindle as well. Once or twice a year when i go on a long vacation, that is 3 weeks or more, when i would usually, in the era before e-readers, take an extra suitcase just to pack all my books in :D So now, i simply take a kindle with me and i'm satisfied for that short period. Although, i inevitabely end up in a bookstore somewhere and buy some mementos to remember the trip by :D

But ye, real books >> e-readers any day :)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      I love the idea of the kindle, and if I had the money i'd certainly buy one. The price for the e-books is normally less too, so overall you're saving money in the long term.

BUT you can't beat the good old feel of a book, and the look as well. Something about that won't get old :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow great input in this thread :D

now lets hear what you guys reading currently...

Jeffersonhope I will definitely go and get the suggested books... Adiga is from a different planet.. he really doesn't know where to draw the line but maybe this is what I like. I want to read books that takes me to the other side of my brain :D switch it around, squeeze it and not only makes me feel like I've been transported to another world but can almost smell/feel the experience.

wow.. I should really stop drinking coffee :f_love:

Ingi