6.52bb/100 for a completly new player? (after 550 hands)

• YuvalW
      YuvalW
      Bronze
      with this 50$ capital I started playing my first ever online poker on real money, after the first day I had won 2.42$ for a total of 59.61bb/100 hands.

Today I was a little (read VERY, at least as far as I know) unlucky and lost some big hands (one example is me having QQ vs AQ with flop cards of AQ6, here I have 90% chance to win it according to equilab and he went all in and I called, only to draw an A on the turn) and lost 1.69 (I have limited myself to a max loss of 2 buy-ins, or 2$, and I didn't reach it yet) for a total of 73c/36.5bb won, or 6.52bb/100.

Is this OK for a new player?
  • 7 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Means nothing. Come back once you have played 50k+ hands.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      at the moment its impossible to tell 550 hands is really nothing but its a nice start keep playing and keep studying too, you seem to have your head screwed on right i like the idea of a stop loss limit for me 2 BI's would be a little on the tight side id like to go for 4 or 5 unless i knew i was really playing bad but whatever you feel comfertable with.

Unfortunately hands like that happen ALL the time so get ready to take a few knocks on the chin as long as you keep getting your money in while you're a faveourite then you are gonna be winning in the long run which is what its all about :f_biggrin:

So keep playing, keep reading articles and watch some vids too before you know it you will have a decent sample of hands and will be able to tell in more detail how much of a winning/losing player you are hopefully it will be winning :)

Good luck,
      Carl
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Many new players have experienced an initial upswing followed by a downswing that puts them below even. In fact, that experience is almost universal. (Happened to me too. :) ) While it's easy to cope with the initial upswing, how you handle the eventual downswing might determine your future as a poker player. Don't focus on results in the short term. Any small sample of hands is almost totally random. After about 5K hands you _might_ have a vague idea of whether you're beating a particular limit, but to get a true sample you need about 100K hands.

EUO is right about one thing: for a beginner, the thing to do is concentrate on learning how to make the correct plays with diligent study. Once you've learned to make the correct plays, the results take care of themselves.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I disagree with Belayd that alotttt of new players win initially. I think its fantastic that you have started out so promosing. Be aware about variance though. It really is a big thing in poker and happens to everyone. Keep playing and when you have a decent sample size 30k+ you will have probably came into contact with variance on a few occasions.

Keep letting us know how you are getting on and we will be sure to help :)
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      Most beginners have such a negative win rate that they would have little chance of being in profit after 500 hands, so good start! =)

But, to put it in perspective, if you have a real win rate of 6bb/100 and a standard deviation of 50bb/100 (rather low), your chance of being in profit after 500 hands is not much over 50% (because the expectation for the 500 hands would be 30bb and the standard deviation is much larger at about 112 (50*sqrt(500/100)). The poster who mentioned 30k hands makes sense, but 10k should give you some idea of how you're doing.
    • YuvalW
      YuvalW
      Bronze
      Oh and I have another question
      Is it OK to play on 2 tables so early? 1 table is too slow for me and 2 feels just right for now.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yep play however many tables you feel comfertable with, enough to stop you getting bored but not too many you cant pay attention properly to the other players and the cards etc