MTT final table, AQ with 10 BB

• Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      Dear Community,

Yesterday I played a 40 players MTT (live) and made the final table,

I hold AQ and have 10 BB.

Middle-position raise of 3BB (tight player).

I am on the button and decide to call only. I think it has been the right choice cos a push does not create any fold equity.

If you hit A or Q at the flop you win also the blinds and antes; if not you lose just 3BB and are still in the game.

What do you think about it?

thanks
      Gio
  • 14 replies
    • ZeloSlb
      ZeloSlb
      Gold
      all in,

pot commited anyways
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      AQ is a easy shove there.
    • bellevuelimo
      bellevuelimo
      Basic
      PLayer A thus far has shown down 77 in a 4X raised pot (he smooth called the rz) and Both donks or both excellent players? MTT question.

Black
      Even against a tight range AQ is ahead. I mean you cant fold any flop anyway since the pot is going to be 7.5bb and you have 7bb left behind so you need 32% equity to call it off on the flop. If his a super rock you can fold it pre, but for 10bb that isnt really an option. Calling and planning to fold 2/3rd of the time on the flop is the worst possible option.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      when 14bb or less I normally go into push or fold
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      final table you gotta play for 1st always a shove for me 20+bbs or nh gg.
    • Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      and what if you are just on the bubble. 8 players left, 7 places paid, and 2 players have 4 - 5 BB ?

in this case I still think flat-calling is a good option
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      IMO flatting is never an option here. Push/Fold. What if SB or BB squeezes and MP calls? You have to fold there loosing 3bb without seeing the flop. And that will happen quite a bit.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      when 14bb or less I normally go into push or fold
      Yea, this.. calling is just bad. What would you do if you miss and he checks? Would you try to bluff?
    • katsaridas33
      katsaridas33
      Bronze
      I AGREE THERE IS NO CALL THERE EVEN IF YOU ARE ON BUBBLE!!
      PUSH OR FOLD!
    • Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      thanks guys !!

I guess you are right... however I know it's important not going to allin showdowns with coinflips in tournaments.

I try to steal a lot and avoid coinflips.

How do you find your personal balance with it?

thanks again
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Everyone ignored the question. is it better to flat? I think it could easily be. depends if the initial raiser would fold pocketpairs on Q/A high boards, but since he'd only have around a potsized bet left he probably wouldn't. If we consider him to be a nit and assign him with a range of smth like AJ+ 22+ KJ+ QJ+ then, then a flat and evaluate flop should be much better since we have position, and we're not losing too much value against a wide range of rags that we can't really play well against on the flop anyways.

so the plan would be to call his shove on all very dry and Q/A hi flops and by dry i mean dry for his broadway heavy range.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Giova86
      thanks guys !!

I guess you are right... however I know it's important not going to allin showdowns with coinflips in tournaments.

I try to steal a lot and avoid coinflips.

How do you find your personal balance with it?

thanks again
      Well getting in flips really ins't that bad especially with 10bb you don't really have a choice since a chance of getting a better hand until the blinds hit you at which point you'll be down to like 7bb at which point you don't have any fold equity left. You don't need to get into flips early in the turnament when your still over 50bb deep.
    • Giova86
      Giova86
      Bronze
      thanks