[NL2-NL10] NL10 - KK against A on the flop

• epaga
      epaga
      Bronze
      1. Should I have bet the turn? (My guess: yes)
      (In this case....)
      1a. How should I have reacted to a raise? (My guess: fold)
      1b. How should I have reacted to a call, then a bet on the river? (My guess: fold)
      1c. How should I have reacted to a call, then a check on the river? (My guess: check)
      2. But I checked the turn...so should I have bet the river in this situation? (My guess: no)
      2a. If so, how should I have reacted to a raise? (My guess: fold)

Thanks so much for any pointers!

Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
      9 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with K:spade: K:club:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $0.5[/color], 4 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: A:diamond: 6:diamond: 3:spade: ($1.15, 2 players)
      BB checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $0.7[/color], BB calls.

Turn: T:spade: ($2.55, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: T:diamond: ($2.55, 2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
      Final pot: $2.55
  • 11 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I would bet 1$ on that flop. On the river I would bet/fold 1,5$
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I'd have bet a little bit more on the flop.

Concerning your questions, I agree with all your guesses but question 2.
      After he checks turn and river, showing a lot of weakness I don't think you're beaten (but you maybe :P ), I'm willing to make a valuebet on the river, I may still be called by smaller PP.
    • epaga
      epaga
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!

Why would you bet more on the flop? I've been trying to keep both continuation bets as well as protection bets at around 3/4 of the pot (OK then it would have been 80 cents :)

Bet/fold river makes sense, I guess I'm just too scared of flushes when people start calling me down with a two-suited board. Of course, that same fear should have led me to bet the turn, so... ;-)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      On NL 10 it probably isn´t so much difference, but for example on NL 25 SH people see these kinds of bets weakness and would min-raise+ you also have to protect against flush and possible straight draws.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by epaga
      3/4 of the pot (OK then it would have been 80 cents :)
      Yeah, $0.80 would be OK, maybe even a little bit more... $0.90-$1, you bet $0.70 there, that's less than 2/3 of the pot.

$0.10-$0.30 more doesn't seen to be a lot, but this is NL10, so it's actually 1-3BB difference. ;)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      On the river I would bet/fold 1,5$
      Why bet so small? You'll only get worse hands to fold, and every A, T or flush is calling, right? I guess 1 or 2 small pairs are calling, but I doubt it... wouldn't it be better to just check behind?
      It's what I tend to do on these kinds of boards where I have like 2nd / 3rd pair or the board is dangerous (well there's the occasional bluff, but it's rare). Is it correct, or have I just found a big leak in my game? :D
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Since I checked turn, pp might call also. T, A or flush should bet out on the river. If the player is tricky, check behind is also fine, you can´t stand here even check/min-raise. By betting 1,5$ I don´t bet for bluff, but for value.
    • Cojack123
      Cojack123
      Black
      dont bet the river

as sayed by swiss "and every A, T or flush is calling"

#at epaga
      I agree with all your guesses but i want to point out

1. Should I have bet the turn? (My guess: yes)
      This really depends how loose this people are calling
      If they have to much Ace/rag in there range your
      raise gets -ev if they are floating with a lot hands
      like small pairs and highcards if is more + eV

All together it is a very marginal play vs unkown, that will only be
      slightly +ev, if at all.

And it will push our variance.

Vs a huge callstation it is +EV but this guy
      must call ~ >65% of all contibets.
    • epaga
      epaga
      Bronze
      OK, so Cojack, if I get you right, you'd say my turn check wasn't necessarily wrong, since I personally rather lean a bit more toward pot control (and thereby also less variance) than toward protection.

I didn't really have clear reads on this guy at this point, it was early at the table and I had no stats. But at this level, I have sent PLENTY of people calling raises with Ace rags, so that's kind of what I was a bit afraid of.

Since this thread is checked by a judge now, guess what he actually had: 52o.

Yeah. My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      On NL 10 it probably isn´t so much difference, but for example on NL 25 SH people see these kinds of bets weakness and would min-raise+ you also have to protect against flush and possible straight draws.
      Don't ya even dare to assume the general level of play at NL25 is higher than at NL10.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Don't ya even dare to assume the general level of play at NL25 is higher than at NL10.
      With you all the way :D :D