withdrawing money from a table?

• YuvalW
      YuvalW
      Bronze
      I don't really feel comfortable sitting in an NL2 table with more then 3$ (150bb), but on the rare occasions I do pass it finding a new table is quite a hassle. is it possible to withdraw money from a table? I only find how to get additional chips
  • 6 replies
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't think it is. When you leave a CG table, if you want to sit back a this table within the next 30min, you will have to buy in for the exact amount you had when leaving the table(if you had over 100b). Usually, "going south" is not appreciated by poker players, since, by doing that, you kinda deny them the possibility to win back the money they lost to you. It is common courtesy, imho, to never withdraw money from a table during play, I think that's why it is not possible to do so at fulltilt.
      Take a look at the first season on High Stakes Poker, you'll see how pros feel about going south when Freddy Deeb is wrongly accused to have withdrawn some money of his stack when he left the table for a break.

++
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      If you are uncomfortable with playing deep it is important that you leave the table. there should be quite a few NL2 table running maybe go on some waiting lists. Then if you want easy in easy out when you build up your BR you might want to try RUSH poker. But it starts at NL5

Best of luck

Thazar
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There are several advantages to having a deep stack.

Image:
      It looks like you just might know what you are doing. Other players with stacks over the max buy-in who have already made some money are less eager to tangle with you because they risk their entire stack and thus everything that they have won so far.
      For this reason, I like to keep my stack no lower than 80% of the max BI. It makes it easier to be on the plus side when I do win.

Power:
      With the biggest stack at the table, you can steal blinds better, since once again people will tighten up against you. Your raises (usually) get more respect. When you DO have the nuts, when you stack someone, the payoff is larger.

There is a downside: As you have noted when you have all your hard-earned winnings still on the table, they are at risk. You can overcome this with discipline. If your loss limit is 1 buy-in, you have 5 buy-ins at the table, you would leave when you drop to 4 and so-on.

If you top up like I do, you need to keep track of how much you have put in, and leave when you hit your loss limit.

I don't know what conventional wisdom is on this, I only know that when I have a big stack at the table, it seems to grow, and when I'm stuck for a bunch, it seems to get worse.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      +1 what Vorpal said.

If you are playing MSS, you have no choice except to table hop. But on a large site you should never run out of tables.

If you're playing BSS, then you want a big stack because it maximizes your profit potential--although the risk of loss is also greater. Table hopping in BSS is not recommended unless the opponent composition changes so that the table is no longer profitable for you.

If you've won your way to a 400bb stack and there's another two players on the table with 600bb stacks, then you should either find another table or turn pro. :D
    • YuvalW
      YuvalW
      Bronze
      talking about deep stacks:
      I remember starting to read an article about deep stacks, and then deciding I won't be playing deep stacks just yet and closing it, but I am unable to find this article again, any help?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I do disagree to some extent when playing BSS deepstack even if there is a fish deep as well at the table. first you have to think about it in terms of brm. if you are both 200bb deep you are in effect playing another limit. There is variance and in case the fish luckbox and stacks he is likely to leave with the $$. Also it is quite different to play deep, you get different implied odds and a lot more equity to call with cards that you wouldn't with smaller effective stack. There is in theory less variance because much more post flop game and thought process., however it also requires a lot more skills to play deep. SO my advice remains play with a stack that you are confident playing with.

btw this is my advice and only my opinion. I am a fish at the tables so don't take anything I say about poker for granted because I am a mod :P .