Need more knowledge on AF

• Evante
      Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 8.
      6 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1) 8, 5, 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB calls $0.25.

Turn: ($1.5) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.5) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $5.75, Hero calls $5.75.

Final Pot: $13.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, eights(Ks 8s).
      SB shows a straight, eight high(4c 6d).

SB wins with a straight, eight high(4c 6d).

Ok i made a big mistake on the flop or actually preflop where i should 3bet
      But on the river i called due to his awesomely high AF on river which is 4.5
      Overall AF is 2.9. flop = 1.8 turn = 4.0 river = 4.5
      What does this mean? he bluffs alot on the river? or he is a turbo slowplayer?
      Sorry if i ask too much!!!

He steals alot too.
  • 2 replies
    • DoigteurFou
      AF is calculated by the simple formula "raises + bets / calls". Having a big aggression factor on the river does not necessarily means that he bluffs a lot there, but this may mean that he almost never calls on the river.

In elephant you have interesting stat which is "handranges". It gives you the percentage of hands on each street he brings to the next one. It appeared to me that some opponents with a very high AF on the river had a showdown handrange very small (like 20%-25%). With very few hands he brings to the showdown, it is conceivable that he raises/bets them for value very often, therefore you have a very big AF for a player who's not aggressive on the river.

A stat that might interest me would be something like "raises + bets / calls + folds (+ check)" to see that in one stat, but its interpretation might be harder.

Another thing you don't see in an AF is the sizes of the bets. Sometimes players have big AF because they minbet everything everystreets, and they bet potsize or overbet when they have something. I did not find any stat relative to the ratio bet:pot in my tracker. I think you have to take note about those things (for example when you see an opponent minbetting a lot, write it down as a note as a reminder to make less mistakes interpreting your AFs)
    • sapheal
      Evante :s_love:

Don't be afraid to ask questions :) We want to help you to become a great poker player.

Preflop call is okay. You have a decent hand and don't need to turn it into a bluff in position.

You should be 3/4 pot on the F and T and see how hand develops. His AF 4.5 (needs a big sample to confirm) means that he either bets or raises in comparison to a number of calls on the river. Now, you should look at his WTSD and see how often he calls. Still, assuming his overly high wtsd (but not as big as in case of CS), we can assume he's more likely to bluff.

Still, 3x overbet bluff is not very likely.