Poker players and sportsmanship

• pyure
      Interested in getting peoples opinions on this subject. Here's an example of what I'm talking about : (sorry about the text but my hand history is in xml and I can't figure out how to convert it yet)

Played a heads up sng today against a really loose passive call station opponent, he's not punishing my limps preflop so I'm playing 100% of my buttons.
      Chips 1900/1100 in my favour, blinds 15/30. I limp with 86o and he checks.
      Flop comes 597 rainbow.
      He checks, I bet 30, he raises to 90, I 3bet to 210 and he shoves. I call, he shows 97 for top two and my straight holds up. Pretty standard right ?

Cue a stream of abuse from villian about my terrible play, donkey this, idiot that etc etc.

I see this happen more and more in poker, it's the only game I can think off where people bemoan the fact they're playing with people of "lesser" skill. (Lesser in quotations because there's so many players out there who seem to think they're the greatest players since sliced bread.)

So what do you think ? Is abuse at the poker table part of the game and to be expected, has it become acceptable to act like a complete dick ?
  • 23 replies
    • Wryzeth
      It's the internet. There are certain people that abuse the fact that they're anonymous, you can really find them everywhere online. Never played a (competitive) multiplayer online game? :P

Just ignore them really and take their money while they're tilting. ;)
    • Waiboy
      It's not acceptable, but it is inevitable. Either use the mute button, or roll with it. At least you know for sure they're horrible and/or tilting.
    • mrkhaan
      That's why I deactivated the chat in my poker room. As Wryzeth said, they are everywhere on the internet. Just browse youtube and read randomly how many hatters there are there. Poker is in those days, that brings a very large kind of fauna to the online tables.
      I think this kind of behavior is pretty close to the one that makes some people just turn into ticking time bombs when they are in their car. They feel untouchable because of this ridiculous feeling they have there wont be consequences. Just enjoy the fact that those haters, are usually very poor players, and take their money, that will make them even madder, so they will make even bigger mistakes, etc...
      The most incredible thing I've seen on a poker site was at, in a freeroll, 2 guys started going at it after one of them got lucky on the river. They insulted each other for at least 5 minutes and finally fixed a meeting place and time to take it to the "mano a mano" level... This is just ludicrous...

Now about the repercussions of that kind of behavior, some player deliberately use this as a tilt starter strategy to make their opponents mad and take their stack on steaming all ins. This should be severely punished by poker sites imho.
    • ihufa
    • themagpiespg
      Originally posted by ihufa
      I agree with ihufa flame back but do it in a subtle way it put them on tilt even more,
      that how i deal with them.
    • satishvasoya
      yesterday a guy started joking and laughing at me after he saw what country i belong to.

saying this like ur an indian idiot having no idea how to play and il steal all ur chips and evrythin and that too coz my kings did not held up against AJ.....
      and he wasnt e1 in the pot.
      the funnier part was he had 9bb while i was 3rd in chips...

some of them just love abusing....
    • neil0707
      I had a guy tonight who called me all sorta crap donk stuff for call my AJ v KK and i hit my Ace...i never had my opppnent on KK at all. So i marked him down and waited my time to get revenge for his abusive remarks as he wasnt even in the hand.....around thirtyish hands later he raises 3xbb and i look lovingly at AK :diamond: your gonna get it you bast**d i mused to myself. Shove this up your sh*t box, ALL-IN....he tanked for a while as i sat sipping a nice cold beer and the he called......I CHOCKED SLIGHTLY AS HE TURNED OVER AA...A LITTLE OF THE BEER MADE ITS WAY DOWN MY NASAL PASSAGE AND ONTO MY KEY BOARD. I HIT TWO OF THE DIAMONDS ON THE FLOP FOR MY FLUSH WHICH IN THE FEW SECONDS BEFORE THE TURN AND RIVER CAME DOWN MADE ME PREY TO THE GOD OF POKER....BUT ALAS I MISSED....I COULDNT PLAY FOR A WHILE AS I HAD TO DRY THE KEYBOARD OUT AND AS I WAS MOPPING UP I PONDERED ON THE LESSON I HAD JUST HAD SHOVED UP MY SH*TBOX....PERSONAL BATTLES ARE ALL WELL AND GOOD WHEN YOU WIN...BUT SOMETIMES ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT.....LOL.

And i still managed to type in NH through gritted teeth.... :s_cry:
    • PMental
      I don't ever turn off the chat, if a player is tilting badly or takes some kind of personal offence to me I want to know about it since it may affect his play. More knowledge == EV+ right?

I try very hard not to write anything in anger myself and I generally don't reply at all to the chat (apart from the "nh" "ty" kind of stuff). If I write anything I try to make it nice stuff even against people playing obviously bad. You don't want them to start playing differently!
    • Pascal
      think of it this way:
      a good player will never tell you when you play bad, unless you pay him for a coaching :)

such kind of behaviour is of course far from nice but happens everywhere
      being kind of anonymous in the internet of course multiplies the effect but it happens in many competitive sports
      don't know how often I heard on the football field what someone did last night with my sister (although I don't have one :D )

just try to ignore it or get him a little more on tilt
      but don't let it affect your game
    • jeffersonhope
      In an episode of High Stakes Poker, Guy La Liberte let David Benyamine keep almost 600k of his own cash. His explanation was that the money made much more difference to Benyamine than him. Benyamine went all in on a flush draw, hoping that Guy would fold his two pair, but Guy didn't and called. When Benyamine saw the cards, his face was quite meek and Guy had stated beforehand that he doesn't run it more than once. Benyamine agreed and lined up his cash but Guy still gave him the choice to run it more than once, Beyamine didn't accept. Guy then proposed that Benyamine take back his money and they play for the size of the pot which was before they both went all in. Benyamine accepted. They finally decided to not see the turn and river and let Guy take the pot.

Well, maybe Guy had a good chance of losing but in a $1.2mill, it's definitely sportsmanship. Or is it TV ? :D
    • pyure
      Originally posted by Pascal
      don't know how often I heard on the football field what someone did last night with my sister (although I don't have one :D )
      Haha, I know that one alright :) But its interesting that fifa brought in a Respect campaign last season, is it time for major events, like the wsop, to start running similiar initatives ?

I just think that if it becomes total acceptable and standard online, it wouldn't be long before it becomes part of live play as well...and you can't put people on mute (unfortunately :D )
    • Pascal
      don't think it is that standard and accepted online
      at least I know guys without chat rights on some pokerrooms :)
    • gadget51
      Internet players often feel safe in perceived annonymity, a bit like angry drivers...and we've all met those! :)
    • thazar
      It is a great sign of tilt, so i usually try to fuel it but I am surprised noone said it before 86o is da nutz!!!
    • Backcushion
      Villian: and pokerstars rewards you idiots
      Hero: are you slightly upset?
      Villian: cause if it didnt you would all be broke fking turds with no money
      Villian: you dont even understand
      Villian: how bad i run with the best hand almost all the time
      Villian: you have no fking clue
      Villian: this fking idiot has all the chips? go figure
      Villian: shipping everything with king rag
      Hero: well it's known that every hand is 50/50,you either win or loose
      Villian: thats bullsht idiot
      Villian: you dont even know percentages
      Villian2: what a fking idiot

I just try to troll them to make them mad
    • zobupasts
      It's easy for me as I don't care a bit about what people are saying. I never turn off the chat and always read it.

I definitely don't abuse fish. Never! In rare occasions I say something back to tilty regs.

Something like:

Originally posted by Backcushion
      Lol'ed at this. Good one!
    • Berzerger
      Am I the only one who absolutely loves it when someone at the table starts flipping out? It's first class entertainment, especially live where you can troll people more meticulously. Personally I don't like to directly insult a person, just playfully taunt him until he goes apeshit. I think this is a very useful tactic as it can get fairly frustrating to have someone constantly berating you until you either grow apathetic towards it or actually start enjoying it.
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I used to play heart on line at a place called
      I'm good (if I do say so myself).
      There is no money, no points -- no reward AT ALL for winning, and no penalty for losing other than a simple rating system.

The abuse and flaming there was as bad as -- and sometimes worse -- than it is in poker rooms.

Go figure
    • Tomaloc
      Originally posted by Backcushion
      Villian: thats bullsht idiot
      Villian: you dont even know percentages
      HAHA just great

Originally posted by Berzerger
      Am I the only one who absolutely loves it when someone at the table starts flipping out? It's first class entertainment [...]
      I also see it that way :f_p: