My standard way of losing HUSNG. Please help!

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I reduced my opponent to half stack by outplaying him postflop and he tries a few pushes. I go the feeling that he might be pushing random cards and not only the premium ones. He pushes, I have ATo and call. He wins with K3. Then blinds are so high that we have to play push/fold. I got KJ, he raises and I push. He shows AJ and wins.

I'm always losing games this way. Once my opponent went back to 1400 from 200 chips because he kept winning flipcoins, 35%, 25% favourites. The software just doesn't work the way it's supposed. I'm ok when it comes to postflop play but when it comes to push/fold either I don't get cards or they just don't keep up.

I played 160 games and my profit is break-even. Apart from tilting hard I don't know what else to do. It's mind crushing to see my 400 chips opponent winning push after push and ending up dominating me, or in the happiest situation we have to restart the match all over from scratch with equal stacks.
  • 7 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      it sounds to me like you feel you deserve to win against your opponant as yu feel your a much better player, even if this is true the varience will still have an effect regardless and if your getting your money in as a 65/75% favourite what more can yu hope for, your getting your money in good so your going something right and losing as the favourite well thats just poker my friend and if yu keep playing your A game and getting it as the favourite things should work out in the long term, if yu think short term yu will always be very prone to tilt
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      So I played 3 more games and here you go again. Retard strikes again !
      I didn't play 10 games, I played a total of 300 headsup on 2 platforms and I don't see any improvement in my luck. First I played on Party but the minimum buyin there is 6$, I went -180$ down or so from these games, losing even 20 in a row, so I eventually stopped, thinking I'm too bad for it.

Now I started on William Hill with the 1$ sng but it's more or less the same story, minus the donks who happen to push during the first hands when I flopped a straight or a flush. I think I'm posting this in the Downswing report.

Holdem NL, 100 BB (2 handed).
      Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
      Seat: 3 BadeaCeaRea ($1670) Dealer
      Seat: 8 jokercash ($1330) Small Blind
      Dealt to BadeaCeaRea
      :Qd: :Kc:

Preflop (Pot:150)
      BadeaCeaRea RAISE $200
      jokercash CALL $100

Flop(Pot: $450)
      :Qc: :7d: :5c:

jokercash CHECK
      BadeaCeaRea BET $200
      jokercash RAISE $1130
      BadeaCeaRea CALL $930

Turn(Pot: $2710)
      :Qc: :7d: :5c: :Ks:

River(Pot: $2710)
      :Qc: :7d: :5c: :Ks: :Tc:

Showdown:
      jokercash SHOWS
      :Jc: :8c:
      jokercash wins the pot: $2710
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Whether you're playing HU STT MTT or cash. It's the same drill. Proper bankroll managment for the level you're playing, get your money in right and try to make the same mistake the least amount of times, realizing that you are going to make the same mistake more than once.

600 games is not a big enough sample to come to any long term conclusions. Look at the level you are playing at as training for the higher levels. Good news is since you broke even, your training has been free.

Think long term: make sure you're getting your money in right long term this is what counts. In your example ATo vs K3o; everyone remembers that AT is about a 65% favorite. But what does that mean? It means that K3 wins 35% of the time. We always remember the times we lose with ATo more than the times we win with ATo

If you find yourself going on tilt, stop playing. You need to work on controlling Tilt. It's the number one reason your bankroll ends up in the poker grave yard not K3 beating AT. Post your hands and your thought process in the forum to get other players opinions. Very Important to post your thought process. You will get a lot better responses
      Always think long term if this sheet was easy everyone would be doing it and lastly if it weren't for bad players how would you make any serious money. You have almost no edge over good players but a tremendous edge over the bad ones
      Good Luck
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Just to add a massive +1 gp00053s post.
      HUSNGs have pretty big variance, accept it. Work on your game when you're going down, and enjoy yourself when you're going up :)

Btw the KQ hand, effective stacks are only 13bb - just shove it preflop. You let him see a cheap flop and got punished for it. Are you using Nash or some other push/fold equilibrum chart ? If not, get one now, should help with your end game.

Good luck
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well if your always losing at push/fold stage then why not just play HU cash? Imo hu cash is way less swingy compared to HU sngs, especially turbos so if you don't want to deal with push or fold stages then just move to hu cash and problem solved, especially if you think your postflop edge is so big.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys. I thought about playing HU cash but the rake is so much at mico, most of the time I end up +30c when i take my opponent down, because we burnt money to rake :(
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      HU cash games have a horrendous rake, so HU SNGs are a good alternative, possibly excepting those who play for very high stakes.

I reject the idea that you are losing over the long run by getting unlucky. If you get your chips in as a 75:25 favorite, you do not deserve to win 100% of the time. That hand is sticking in your mind, and you are not talking about and perhaps not concentrating on playing well in the rest of the tournament. Don't dwell on bad beats. That's a huge waste of time, and that you receive bad beats doesn't even mean you are outplaying your opponents. Poker isn't about who delivers bad beats, it's more about getting value, making good (semi)-bluffs, and recognizing which uncomfortable situations are profitable.

HUSNGs have low variance, and a large skill advantage is possible over microstakes opponents who often seem to hate money. You probably have large leaks in your game if you are not winning after a few hundred tournaments. A rough 95% confidence interval for your ROI after n tournaments is your observed ROI +- 200%/sqrt(n). You also should very rarely see losing streaks as bad as what you report if you really have a skill advantage over your opponents. The good news is that this probably means there are some easy improvements you can make in your game which will have a large effect.