any tips how to play a perfect tournament

• seanygeorge1977
      seanygeorge1977
      Bronze
      i,m in a tournament this sat.. i consider myself an ok player has anyone been far in tournaments and has any advice about how to play the perfect tournament.. what hands are best to play, what is best left alone.. how to push people of when you know you got the best hand but if the wrong river card drops it could lead to them having the better hand.. advice as i keep getting done over when i flop three of a kind and they get nothing but drop the river
  • 8 replies
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Mate, when you figure out how to play the perfect tournament, you tell us, because you'll be the best tournament player in the world! If you wish to learn the basics better, you should read this site's articles on MTT's. However, I will try to answer the rest of your questions.

What hands are best to play? The answer to all questions in Poker is "It depends." However, reading the site's articles is a great start to figuring out some basic ranges.

How to push people off draws? This depends on what you think your opponent has. Essentially, you need to avoid giving them pot odds to call a bet. Then, if they call you, they lose money in the long run. To do this, you need to do some maths.

You'll need to know the outs of various draws, but open-ended straight draws have a 16% chance to complete on the turn and a 32% chance on the flop. Flush draws have an 18% chance to complete on the turn and a 36% chance on the flop. If you're on the turn, it's very easy to push opponents off the hand, make a 1/2 pot bet.

As an example, if the pot is 1,000 chips and you bet 500, you are giving them 4:1 odds to call. They call 500 to make a pot of 2000, so they have to win 25% of the time. If their draw only completes 16-18% of the time, you win over time. You don't want to push them out, you want them to commit more money than they should!

Studying the NL BSS Bronze articles may help you here, as they include a section on draws and one on pot odds if I remember correctly.

Good luck!
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Just don't make any mistakes
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      bet more than half of pot if you think that he may be on draw and you are both deep, so then he wouldn't get odds to call. That's called protecting hand.

Yeah, more or less don't make big mistakes. Yeah, it's impossible to play 100% perfect on poker. But it's possible to have a huge edge over other players.

Read articles on this site, watch videos.
    • seanygeorge1977
      seanygeorge1977
      Bronze
      thank you well i got for 5 hour to get some practice in mbut not to much where it starts to baffle my head.. i,m going to sit tight till i get my good hands raise hope flop something way up if i can be beat take it from there.. stay in it as long as i can to get into the money. try get into the top 60 where the money starts getting better.. but as long as i make 200 i get a good return on my 7cent feeder tournamnt but will be hoping to do better like final table get a good bit of money so i can bank some and buy into a bigger tournament.. cheers for your help.. lets see if i can be strict with myself and not play everyhand and pull myself out of good hands when theres something that could beat me on the table
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      There's an easy solution to become sick at MTTs.

Be Yoghi.
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      or ihufa
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      or ihufa
      or amplifyd

anyways, I think that you are def not ready for a tournament if you are so unsure. You gotta educate yourself a bit, then play. Otherwise its waste of money and gift to experienced players

PS: not necessary to start 2 threads about it, is it?
    • seanygeorge1977
      seanygeorge1977
      Bronze
      i won three satalites to get to it and can not get a refund. so i,m in it so gonna try make something out of it.. i know i,m not ready thats why i tried to get a refund.. but it only cost me 4pence for the first ticket and i,m now in a 38.50 tournament that i can not get a refund.. so i,m stuck there i,m afraid