[NL2-NL10] A disastrous bit of creativity - restealing with ATs

• Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      I know ATs is fractionally outside the MSS restealing range, but it seemed a good idea at the time. The continuation bet seemed reasonable, as I could easily have an overpair, and I thought he was unlikely to have enough from the flop to call a big raise. [I was amazed he called the PFR and the continuation bet with 55 (but I suppose the gutshot gave him 6 outs to help). Perhaps I can blame the result on his bad play?]

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $1.34
      BB:
      $4.01
      UTG1:
      $1.04
      UTG2:
      $1.16
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $1.54
      MP3:
      $5.11
      CO:
      $6.35
      BU:
      $12.50

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, T.
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.14, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.44, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.92) 4, 2, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, MP3 calls $0.90.

Turn: ($2.72) 8 (2 players)

River: ($2.72) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.72.
  • 5 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Elroch
      I know ATs is fractionally outside the MSS restealing range, but it seemed a good idea at the time.
      Why ?

[I was amazed he called the PFR and the continuation bet with 55 (but I suppose the gutshot gave him 6 outs to help
      Unless you provide me with stats, I think most 4NL players are calling any pair on your cbet here mostly so I am not that amazed

Looking forward to your reply
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      In answer to your why, the Sklansky ranking of ATs is slightly higher than AJo, so it wasn't a huge stretch. But I would have done better to stick to the rules. :)

I recall having only a few hands on villain. He is now about 17/7 from only 54 hands. Other stats are hardly going to be reliable.

Putting this in pokerstove, his flop call was perfect fine against my range, even if the preflop call was questionable. Second pair and a gutshot is not bad against a mixture of overpairs and big cards.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Isn't ATs standard 3bet to MP3 according to charts?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Elroch
      In answer to your why, the Sklansky ranking of ATs is slightly higher than AJo, so it wasn't a huge stretch. But I would have done better to stick to the rules. :)
      Sklansky chubokov only involves when you shove it right in there and since one doesn't, we cannot use this argument.

But I just saw ATs is a 3bet but I don't like it to do it OOP because your hand suck bigtime

- Gerv
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      Fair enough. There are of course a lot of minor disagreements between the steal/resteal chart and the open/3-bet ones.