[NL2-NL10] Play from the blinds and hit flop..

• Glazenburg
      Hey guys,

A few hand where i got into the hand because there was no raise and i was in the BB. At the flop I hit something like top pair with bad kicker. At that moment there is a quite good chance that i flopped the best hand and since i have the best hand at that moment I want everybody out and get the pot. But since I am in the blinds people often call me because they think I'm stealing and then hit their overcard on the river or turn. How do you guys handle these situations?

The first one, I had top pair on the flop and I had to fold on the turn, the bet was to big for my hand.

Poker Room skin
      Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $1.1/$1.1
      9 players

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 3 T
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 5 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: T 4 8 ($3.3, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: 2 ($3.3, 3 players)

SB checks, Hero bets $1, UTG+1 raises to $3, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final pot: $3.3

Another one:
      Here i got a flush draw from the SB. He didn't fold to my bet on the flop, so he either didn't believe me or had a hit. On the turn and river imo i can't push this anymore and finally have to fold to a bet on the river.
      Poker Room skin
      Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
      10 players

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 8 J
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: Q 4 5 ($1, 4 players)
      Hero bets $1, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: A ($5, 4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks.

River: 6 ($5, 4 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.5, 2 folds, Hero folds.
      Uncalled bets: $1.5 returned to BB.

Final pot: $5

Last one. I had a small pocket pair in the BB. Got a straight draw on the flop, with two overcards. Did i play this hand ok, or should i be more passive?

Poker Room skin
      Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
      9 players

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 5 5
      5 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: 8 6 4 ($0.65, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.5, CO calls.

Turn: :10d ($1.65, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.5, Hero calls.

River: A ($2.65, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.5, Hero folds.
      Uncalled bets: $3.5 returned to CO.

Final pot: $2.65

I'm having trouble playing these hands and make good decisions.. Do i have to play more aggressive or not get into any trouble and fold these hands whatever i hit when my opponent raises?

• 2 replies
    • abundance211
      Hand 1:check/fold the hand till the end, don't even be tempted to pay $0.10 in case some one bets as much as this. You have very low kicker, so you can't be sure that you are the best at the hand post flop and the board is very drawy imo

Hand 2:
      a) Pre flop - I do not complete the blind when I am with a hand like J8s on SB.
      b) Post flop - according to the SSS you have trash hand, so you don't bet, you check/fold. You are counting only on the flush draw, and even if you get your flush on turn or river you are third best (look at the article about "Outs and Odds" http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/258/6/, especially pages 6-7 and see 2nd example on page 8)

Hand 3:
      This one is no better than the previous two hands.
      You don't have position, on the board there are two overcards, and you have only a gutshot straight possibility. The flush draw is very dangerous for you and your back door flush with a very low :club: - worth nothing imo.
      Apart of this your pocket pairs are relatively low and CO might be holding also a higher pocket pair. Unless you hit your set, you almost finished with the hand after the flop and even then you have to consider the risk of getting beaten by a flush.

So in total - check/fold on the flop and certainly a fold after the A on the turn

A request: It would help if you would also post your opp. stacks.

And a closing remark: fold these hands. You lose to much money with such adventures. See the article "Winning by folding"
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/content/Winning-by-folding_02994. Like Puschkin81 said: "This is a sentence we should internalize. This ability, as long as we have it and use it correctly, separates us from the average player, who is too keen on seeing the showdown and pays a high price for it."

Only after I understood the power of folding I began to improve my bankroll.

I hope I didn't put you asleep with this long answer.

Good luck
    • Berliner1982
      Very good evaluation abundance211. :)