life as an evil monkey

• starclutter
      starclutter
      Bronze
      so i have decided to start playing poker from scratch on two sites full tilt poker and poker stars.

Im gonna start with a with $70US on each site and try and build a respectable bankroll from there.

I am wondering what kind of SnG's and Tourney's to play. I do enjoy playing 4.40 rush tourney's and rebuy tourneys and i know that that is detrimental to getting a bankroll building but i find it hard to play a $1 tourney or SnG, i need help on getting a healthy bankroll in a way that i will enjoy playing poker.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I will keep updating on how i go and what i play with my bankroll. :D
  • 6 replies
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      If it helps, you don't have to think of yourself as having 2 70-dollar BR's. You have a 140-dollar BR, spread across two sites. This is enough money to play 2.25 SNG's, so you don't need to play 1-dollar ones.
    • starclutter
      starclutter
      Bronze
      thanks for the idea, i was thinking of it like that which i think is the best way of playing it. Ill be starting to play on tuesday once i have enough money to start a bankroll
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Gold
      SNG is for no-lifers, start cash and u will be able to play SNG to because its almost the same till push/fold phase so in cash u will lean much more and much faster + I think its better for BR + rakeback etc, I mean sng played play up to 100 games per day its just to epic :) its like 5h of play 24 tabling, atlast its to sick for me :) maybe u got nuts to do it then GL :)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I don't really know what Mopenza is talking about. You can play SNG's without putting in a huge amount of volume, though if you really want to grind them you'll want to learn to play a lot of tables eventually. Lessthanthree, a poker coach on this site and a really great SNG player recommends learning to play at least 8, but there's nothing that says you have to play all day.

SNG's have plenty of spots to learn, and if you want to play tournaments, SNG's are a hell of a lot less swingy than MTT's. It's true that a cash game background can aid in SNG's, but if you don't want to play cash, don't. Play whatever you enjoy the most, or whatever will make you the most money out of the games you enjoy the most if you can't decide.

Btw, Full Tilt has 2.25 SNG's but I believe PokerStars only has 1.50's and 3.50's. So you'll have to play the 1.50's there til you get to at least 175 bucks or more depending on your BRM. I use a 65 BI BRM, 50 is recommended by this site.

Warning, even SNG's are pretty swingy: I'm 24 BI below EV atm, so it can get pretty bad, but that will never change in Poker.
    • starclutter
      starclutter
      Bronze
      atm i play 4 SnG's at once but if i play rush i fail at playing 4 so i stick to 3. im going to try and stay away from rush poker for a while though because i believe you need closer to 80 BI to play them because the swing i have in them is too crazy.

Im really thankful to everyones advice but i have to say i will not be playing cash games for a long time because im not very good at it and i dont enjoy it as much atm. Im going to stick to SnG's and micro tourneys untill i can build a healthy bankroll.

Ive been doing alot of reading and watching videos in the past week and im looking forward to getting back to playing poker again with the right mindset of not trying to win big tourneys but grinding my way to a big healthy bankroll
    • starclutter
      starclutter
      Bronze
      so i started playing today and im halfway through my first session and im a little unhappy!

ive been donked off a few times, i got beat AQ v AK me being AK. Shoving pre flop i call n of course the villain hits a queen on the flop but that didnt get me down.

On Full tilt poker im -$19.16 and on Poker stars im +$4.33.

Im most cut about what just happened to me, running deep in a $1.10 rebuy on Poker stars i raise preflop 2.5 with A8 off and get one caller, i flop an ace and think that im good, 4 betting the flop and just getting a call with a flush draw out there to an aggressive player. I 4 bet the turn and another flat call with the turn being a Q. i figure he either has a very small ace on Qx. The river is a 9 and i bet half my stack wanting to get as much value as i can and he puts me all in. I call thinking i am in front and he turns over pocket 9's!! end up finishing around 230ish out of 4,200 ppl winning around $23+.

What did i do wrong here? I knew i was in front of this player and played to my strengths trying to get as much as i could out of player x. Should i have bet bigger on the turn or flop?
      O and btw this seems to happen to me alot when i run deeper in larger pools of players and money, what can i do to better this? I was sitting 3rd on the table and he was 2nd on the table in chips with me having around 950,000 and him having around 1.1 million. We were both in the top 40