poker books

• 7 replies
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      If you're looking for strategy content, i would suggest reading articles here, at Pokerstrategy.com and watching videos.

If you're looking to improve mental side:

"Peak Performance Poker" by Travis Steffen
      "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor
      "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler

Haven't read any of these, but they are on my list, heard good feedback :) Also "Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo, you can read review here
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bigniux
      If you're looking for strategy content, i would suggest reading articles here, at Pokerstrategy.com and watching videos.

If you're looking to improve mental side:

"Peak Performance Poker" by Travis Steffen
      "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor
      "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler

Haven't read any of these, but they are on my list, heard good feedback :) Also "Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo, you can read review here
      pretty much on point I read the question thought about what I going to write and saw it written here

ty Bigniux
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Just found this..been looking for a list of good mentality books..

Ty bigniux :D
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I think Harrington on Cash games volume 1 and 2 are a must for a bigger-intermediate player. These books are what got me hand reading first.
      For tournaments "kill everyone" is really good but probably not as good as an ICM trainer and a book like harrington on cash games for the deepstacked stuff.
    • settle86
      settle86
      Bronze
      well ive read a few books to do with poker
      super systems by doyle is a good read even if it is a bit outdated
      theory of poker by sylansky is a must for me
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      I wouldn't bother with harrington on cash series for micro stakes lower than NL25. Most of his stuff is for against thinking players.

His beating 6-max online cash games book is good because he tells you how to beat micros and the types of players you'll face, he then says that the sort of play you have to use in the micros is a lot different to the one you'll have to use when you go above.

Using standard straight forward poker will give you experience and a good basis for which you can build upon.

Some of the players at micro stakes will be so fishy, unaware and non-caring that a lot of their moves wont make sense. You can't play great poker against these opponents, but instead play the hands where you you'll mostly be ahead. They don't care about anything but the cards they have, hitting the flop and winning a showdown. Just betting with value when you have the best of it will work against them.

Don't bother playing micros on tables with any sort of TAG player because the point of the micros is to get the basics down and build your roll, you'll get enough practice vs better players as you progress.

In general:

- Don't bluff
      - Don't do anything tricky
      - Don't slow play
      - Your opponent usually has what he is representing
      - Play strong pre-flop and mostly in position
      - try to sit the left of a fish (for isolation)

Another good micro guide is Easy Game by Baluga Whale which I recently read. His first book is only like 40 pages long (not including the HU section), and the ground he covers in such a short time is enough to probably do well up to NL25-50.

Most people say both his books aren't worth the investment, but if that investment were to net you between 15-125 dollars an hour I'm pretty sure that'd be a worthwhile investment.

I do however recommend All Harrington books. If it's only for the basics don't get all his books as his beginning chapters are always the same in order to cover the basics. If you want to get good you should probably start on SH tables, and read his 6 max cash game online book.

He covers how to use the hud and so forth too..

Hope this helps =)

Oh and Treat poker like your business (if you want to make it an income and use proper management and mindset)

All Ed Miller, Sklansky etc books are good too.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i'm just about to start reading NL HE: theory & practice by sklansky. i've put off reading it because i thought it would be a little hard to apply to micro stakes... is this the case? or will it really improve my game?