MTT Strategy (early phase)

• DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      I've just discovered the Silver MTT early phase strategy charts, much to my pleasure. I just have a couple of quick questions, one relating to the chart and one for a school which is maybe more a suggestion.

On the chart it says QJs - 65s. Does this mean all possible combinations within the suggested cards...

..e.g QJ, QT, Q9, Q8, JT, J9, J8, J7, T9, T8, T7, T6, 98, 97, 96, 95, 87, 86, 85, 76, 75, 65? (I think I've covered all possible connections from connectors to broadways)?

Or is it just suited connectors...

..e.g QJ, JT, T9, 98, 76, 65?

Also I've just noticed you have a NL BSS School basic. Why not a NL MTT School basic as well for those who prefer the MTT to ring games?

If this is in the wrong section, please move. I figured it's kind of a beginners question so posted it here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 7 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DanMeaks
      I've just discovered the Silver MTT early phase strategy charts, much to my pleasure. I just have a couple of quick questions, one relating to the chart and one for a school which is maybe more a suggestion.

On the chart it says QJs - 65s. Does this mean all possible combinations within the suggested cards...

..e.g QJ, QT, Q9, Q8, JT, J9, J8, J7, T9, T8, T7, T6, 98, 97, 96, 95, 87, 86, 85, 76, 75, 65? (I think I've covered all possible connections from connectors to broadways)?

Also I've just noticed you have a NL BSS School basic. Why not a NL MTT School basic as well for those who prefer the MTT to ring games?

If this is in the wrong section, please move. I figured it's kind of a beginners question so posted it here.

QJs-65s means just suited connectors. ;)
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy

QJs-65s means just suited connectors. ;)
      Thought so, just wanted to make sure. Thanks man!

I should also ignore completely, KJs and KTs?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator

Thought so, just wanted to make sure. Thanks man!

I should also ignore completely, KJs and KTs?

Those would be "suited one-gappers".
      Since you are silver, check out "Advanced Open Raising" which gives ranges and positions where those are useful. Note that it is aimed at ring games, but if you take into account relative stack sizes it works for MTTs as well. For example you would not open suited connectors or low pp when your stack is below a certain level.

Another silver article that touches on what to open and when is "How to play different stack sizes" -- but you probably already read that one. :)
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      I like to jot them down (the strategy) into a note pad, and use them for reference during whichever game I'm playing.

The chart itself completely ignores KJs and KTs, I was wondering why this was so during an MTT. Obviously I understand they're one or two gappers, but to not be mentioned at all i found it odd. I usually play the BSS during the early phase which I guess is pretty similar to the MTT charts anyway.

The BSS suggests caution, raising from LP and blinds only, calling from MP - blinds if player/s limped in before you and folding after a raise before or after you.

But like i say, it's not even mentioned on the MTT charts.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      The advanced open raising article covers suited and off-suited Kings, and Suited and off-suited one-gappers.

Two-gapeprs you're on your own

Good Luck
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      The advanced open raising article covers suited and off-suited Kings, and Suited and off-suited one-gappers.

Two-gapeprs you're on your own

Good Luck
      Of course, silly me!

Got that! Cheers man.

Whilst I'm here, just made my blog but my signature is all messed up. Why is that?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Just wanted to say that it's nice you've progressed to the silver-level MTT articles. And your signature is no longer messed up. :)