Playing different stakes at the same time

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      So here's the deal. I moved up to NL50 a month a go (when I had 40 BI for that), went on a sick heater and now I have 40 BI for NL100. The problem is I'm not confident whether I'm good enough for NL100.

Right now I usually select few of the juiciest NL100 tables and fill the rest up with NL50 (I play 4-5 SH tables at the time). Is that OK or should I just concentrate on one limit? What about the variance. Has playing 2 NL100 tables + 2 NL50 tables the same average variance as playing 4 NL75 (hypothetical) tables? Thanks for your thoughts.
  • 12 replies
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      It's same game, think in BB's. Only if you can't handle the fact that youre losing on NL100 and winning on NL50 tables but not breaking even it's a bad idea.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I always find i pay more attention to the higher tables when i do this an start auto check/folding the others without paying attention to position and fish on table and stuff. would be pretty cool if poker rooms offered an option to view in BBs rather than $ maybe they do and i don't know about it?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      ooh, been recruited have you, External? Grats on that!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      ooh, been recruited have you, External? Grats on that!
      I sure have, thanks :f_biggrin:
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      If you are not feeling confident you shouldn't play NL100. Having the right BR for 1 limit is one thing feeling ok to play it is another ( wether you don't feel at your best, not in th right mood or as you said just not feeling confident about it).

I play Nl100 and sometimes load up some nl 50 while I find good nl100 tables. If you focus on making good decisions it shouldn't make any difference.

As far as the variance is concerned, once again nothing to do with the stake.

One more thing, if you decide to go ahead with nl100 you can lower the number of tables u play to get used to it.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Well I'm not saying I feel bad at NL100, actually it's pretty fun. I'm just not confident what part does variance play in it. Right now I'm trying to widen my range, playing around 29/24. ATM up 5 BI and 9 BI according to the EV. I'm also happy about my redline, which has jumped to the positive side.

On the other hand several regs have displayed malcontent with my play. Like this guy yesterday. He opened 20% of his hands from early position. My 3bet stat is pretty low, around 6%, so I felt frisky and 3bet 79s from CO to get him off of his hand and maybe take a stab at it after the flop if he calls preflop. The flop came 79J, we got the chips in and he showed KK. Then he went absolutely mental and kept jabbering about how bad and lucky I was. Well, idk, gets you thinking you know. Variance plays a great role in poker. Maybe he's right...

I've only playd few thousand hands, so it doesn't tell me anything about my skills. Probably a heater. Well, I guess time will tell.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Well I'm not saying I feel bad at NL100, actually it's pretty fun. I'm just not confident what part does variance play in it. Right now I'm trying to widen my range, playing around 29/24. ATM up 5 BI and 9 BI according to the EV. I'm also happy about my redline, which has jumped to the positive side.

On the other hand several regs have displayed malcontent with my play. Like this guy yesterday. He opened 20% of his hands from early position. My 3bet stat is pretty low, around 6%, so I felt frisky and 3bet 79s from CO to get him off of his hand and maybe take a stab at it after the flop if he calls preflop. The flop came 79J, we got the chips in and he showed KK. Then he went absolutely mental and kept jabbering about how bad and lucky I was. Well, idk, gets you thinking you know. Variance plays a great role in poker. Maybe he's right...

I've only playd few thousand hands, so it doesn't tell me anything about my skills. Probably a heater. Well, I guess time will tell.
      You had a plan per flop to bluff but hit the flop very well and won, it was just a bluff that turned into the winning hand. I've done it my self and I'm sure every 1 on here has done the same, he was just a bad loser. :)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Exactly what magpie said.

While I'm nowhere near at the limits where it's worth doing it myself, quite a few higher stakes players on this site play several limits, chasing the fishiest tables. In terms of $ variance, 2 NL100 and 2 NL50 tables should have about the variance of very slightly over 6 NL50 tables, since you have less of an edge in the NL100's presumably.

So playing different limits is perfectly acceptable if you can pull it off, plenty of people do it at the higher stakes.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      you should have told him 79s is the nutz, if you don't know that you don't know much about poker and let him tilt ;)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Yeah, tilters and loud guys can be fun. Sometimes after making a weird hand and winning I reply something stupid like: "Well I got the money, so who's the real fish here?" or "If you're such a poker expert then why did you lose the hand". That really blows their lid off.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      I read an article about this topic,i.e. moving up and it said that you should beat your current limit over a large number of hands (when i saw large,i thought around 100k hands,it might require more) before moving up.
      Anyway,if you feel like you are just crushing NL50 and you could crush it if someone wakes you at 4am and makes you play,then NL100 seems the next thing to do.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Yeah, tilters and loud guys can be fun. Sometimes after making a weird hand and winning I reply something stupid like: "Well I got the money, so who's the real fish here?" or "If you're such a poker expert then why did you lose the hand". That really blows their lid off.
      Haha nice :D

I usually say something like: "I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! I'M JUST CLICKING BUTTONS" :D