Rate my english please

    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Joined: 04.07.2008 Posts: 2,289
      Hi,

      I'm french and I'm planning to moving away from France.
      I may open a bank account and in order to do that I've asked my French Bank a letter of recommandation.
      But it will be much faster if I write it and then they just sign it...
      So I've write one but my english is not so good and I'm asking you if that's ok:

      "adress of my bank

      date

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      With this letter we confirm that François *** (birthday ****; bank account n°**** opened *****) never had any incident with us concerning this account.
      So we can recommand him to your services.

      Should you have any questions please contact the writer.

      Yours truly,"

      Thank you.
  • 11 replies
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Joined: 23.11.2009 Posts: 1,366
      yeah any English bank should find this easy to read... but you'll have a much easier time if you can get them to print out a letter using the banks letter head.

      still, bring this as it may save some time.... or bring what you hope it would say so they know what you're asking.
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Joined: 04.07.2008 Posts: 2,289
      Originally posted by datsmahname
      yeah any English bank should find this easy to read... but you'll have a much easier time if you can get them to print out a letter using the banks letter head.

      still, bring this as it may save some time.... or bring what you hope it would say so they know what you're asking.
      Ok thank you.
      My personnal bank adviser will print out a letter using bank letter head with this text.
      It's just that if he needs to write the letter himself he'll have to ask the international bank service (and it may take a long time) cause his english is worse than mine :D
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Joined: 04.07.2008 Posts: 2,289
      Also, another question about "dates".
      In french we write a date with: day/month/year.
      In english it's: month/day/year.
      Am I right?
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.10.2010 Posts: 1,252
      Na, we do day/month/year here as well.

      I've never seen it done any other way here.

      Also, just change your sentence a little bit :)

      With this letter we confirm that François *** (birthday ****; bank account n°**** opened *****) has never had any incident with us concerning this account.

      And good luck :)
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Joined: 04.07.2008 Posts: 2,289
      Thank you Jim4rdo :D
    • supergaijin
      supergaijin
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.09.2010 Posts: 133
      just a further note on date format... it depends where you are going.

      USA uses mm/dd/YYYY and as with most things in the US they are completely baffled by DD/mm/YYYY

      Canada switches between the 2 so to be clear I would maybe use a DD, MMM, 'YY format such as 10, Jun, '11 but if you have day > 12 it becomes implicitly obvious and we can work it out

      Australia uses dd/mm/YYYY but as with above for a day > 12 we would be able to work it out

      NZ is same as Aus I believe

      Not so certain on UK haven't spent much time dealing with them but I believe it is same as Aus and NZ.

      hope this helps

      p.s. Your written English is VERY good! I get emails from Native speakers that are less legible than this!
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.05.2011 Posts: 289
      So we can recommend him to your services.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.03.2011 Posts: 569
      Originally posted by poiuyt12
      Hi,

      I'm french and I'm planning to moving away from France.
      I may open a bank account and in order to do that I've asked my French Bank a letter of recommandation.
      But it will be much faster if I write it and then they just sign it...
      So I've write one but my english is not so good and I'm asking you if that's ok:

      "adress of my bank

      date

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      With this letter we confirm that François *** (birthday ****; bank account n°**** opened *****) never had any incident with us concerning this account.
      So we can recommand him to your services.

      Should you have any questions please contact the writer.

      Yours truly,"

      Thank you.

      To whom it may concern,

      This following letter will confirm that Francois ****************, never had any incident with us concerning the mentioned account. We are willing to recommend him for your services


      maybe a little picky but maybe it helped a bit. "So we can..." after your first statemen doesn't sound right to me
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.06.2009 Posts: 2,640
      Originally posted by brobz
      Originally posted by poiuyt12
      Hi,

      I'm french and I'm planning to moving away from France.
      I may open a bank account and in order to do that I've asked my French Bank a letter of recommandation.
      But it will be much faster if I write it and then they just sign it...
      So I've write one but my english is not so good and I'm asking you if that's ok:

      "adress of my bank

      date

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      With this letter we confirm that François *** (birthday ****; bank account n°**** opened *****) never had any incident with us concerning this account.
      So we can recommand him to your services.

      Should you have any questions please contact the writer.

      Yours truly,"

      Thank you.

      To whom it may concern,

      This following letter will confirm that Francois ****************, never had any incident with us concerning the mentioned account. We are willing to recommend him for your services


      maybe a little picky but maybe it helped a bit. "So we can..." after your first statemen doesn't sound right to me
      I agree with this, so we can doesn't sound very good
    • didyouexpect
      didyouexpect
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.06.2011 Posts: 202
      quoting:

      Should you have any questions please contact the writer.

      ----

      Should doesnt fit in this sentence

      If you have any questions please contact the writer.

      sounds better
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.03.2011 Posts: 569
      Originally posted by didyouexpect
      quoting:

      Should you have any questions please contact the writer.

      ----

      Should doesnt fit in this sentence

      If you have any questions please contact the writer.

      sounds better
      not tryin to start a arguement here but i think your being nitty... i am pretty sure "should" is used to give recomendations or advice so I think it works better than "if" which your using it as a conjunction so should typically not be used to start a sentence

      i could be wrong of course lol

      maybe "Please, if you have any questions..."
      but even Please, should you have any questions..." sounds better no?