[NL2-NL10] Straight on freeplay

• kashka
      kashka
      Bronze
      Quite clear flush danger on this hand, but i decided to go all-in with straight here. Did i wrong?

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 9
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO folds, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.35) 3, J, A (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.35) T (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, BU checks.

River: ($0.35) 7 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP3 raises to $0.80, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.90 (All-In), MP3 calls $1.10.

Final Pot: $4.15

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows [ 4c, Kc ] a flush, Ace high
      Hero shows [ 8h, 9s ] a straight Seven to Jack
      MP3 wins $3.95 USD with a flush, Ace high.
  • 4 replies
    • IPresume
      IPresume
      Bronze
      i would have bet on turn
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Tough to lay down a straight there.... flush is obvious, but anyone could get caught there.

I agree that you should've bet the turn.... always a good play to bet your draws to see where you stand.
    • abundance211
      abundance211
      Bronze
      Originally posted by theloniousbones
      Tough to lay down a straight there.... flush is obvious, but anyone could get caught there.

I agree that you should've bet the turn.... always a good play to bet your draws to see where you stand.
      I don't agree.

When there is a possibility for a flush draw on flop, even if you bet on turn you will get called by the opp. drawing for flush. You are playing a FR from BB, so IMO unless you are sure you got the nuts, don't pay anything else.

The 2nd mistake was on river. Hero bets, villain raised and there is a possible flush on board - I would fold the hand. It didn't cost me anything anyhow except the mandatory BB.

And btw - I think it is better not to post the results when you post hands.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      When there is a possibility for a flush draw on flop, even if you bet on turn you will get called by the opp. drawing for flush. You are playing a FR from BB, so IMO unless you are sure you got the nuts, don't pay anything else.

In other words: Unraised pot, no position, no fold equity against draws.
      -> we play it passively, meaning check/ call or fold (odds).

The 2nd mistake was on river. Hero bets, villain raised and there is a possible flush on board - I would fold the hand. It didn't cost me anything anyhow except the mandatory BB.

There is no such thing as a "cost" of a hand. There are odds and pot odds. Here we need to win in 36% of the time, so approx. 1 out of 3 times. I think we will) On this limit his range is a bit wider then normal logic suggests) I would say 1 out of 3 times you will see slowplayed sets, small aces or even KJ. Myself, I demand very obvious reads to fold made s8 in this spot.