How to play flopped nuts when you're the preflop raiser?

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I've experimented a bit with betting out big flops when I'm the preflop raiser, in a (maybe feeble) attempt to disguise the strength of my hand, and build a big pot, especially if my opponent is deepstacked.
      Is this a good idea, or do you think it's better to slowplay and let them catch? How do you play in these cases?
      I'm talking of situations like these:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)   
      BU:
      $182.65
      Hero:
      $144.80

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , Q:club:
      2 folds, BU raises to $4.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $14.00, BU calls $10.00.

Flop: ($28.50) Q:spade: , 5:club: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $17, BU folds.

Final Pot: $45.50

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)   
      CO:
      $300.10
      Hero:
      $99

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , K:heart:
      MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, BU calls $1.00, Hero raises to $7.00, BB folds, CO calls $6.00, BU folds.

Flop: ($16.00) J:diamond: , Q:heart: , T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $9, CO raises to $18.00, Hero calls $9.00.

Turn: ($52.00) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $20, Hero raises to $74.00 (All-In), CO calls $54.00.

River: ($200.00) 9:spade:

Final Pot: $200.00

The second one worked just as planned :D But here I knew my opponent was aggressive. I don't have stats, so it was just based on 1-2 hands I had observed. Opponent on hand 1 was unknown though.

Hmm on afterthought, my play on the 2nd hand is way too obvious... but it's ok, villain was a fish...:D I wouldn't c/r the turn vs a strong player
  • 2 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      You said it yourself :) Vs. weak players (especially the kind that attack every time you check), it is definately an option to slowplay when you hit the board very well, with a very small chance of getting sucked out if you are sure you on average will get more money out of the villain by doing it that way.

Vs. Strong players you should stick to you standard pattern and bet out on the flop excatly as you would have done if you had missed the board completely. If they notice that you change your play they will almost never give you any action anyway, and you can always hope that they will play back at you this time since they are getting tired of you raising and betting all the time :)

It should be said that I'm only playing NL25, but personally I lead out on more or less any flop as the pf raiser if HU.. There are plenty of people willing to pay me off and I think the extra bet I get in on the flop (making me able to get AI by the river) makes up for the times they fold to my cont bet.

Best regards,
      Mugge
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hand 1. YOu would bet on that flop with every hand, that you would raise pf. No need to slowplay
      Hand 2. What would you do, if the board pairs;) I would 4-bet CO and call shove, he often has here two pair or straight or flush draw or set. Happy to get all-in on the flop.