commodity / stock market trading

• nonamesleft
      nonamesleft
      Bronze
      Hi,

Anyone here ever tried it? I found software for a site that offers online trading that looks good. Basically you trade in profit/loss only (rather than buying loads of shares that cost the earth) does anyone know any good links, or have any advice? I'm pretty sure that most good poker players will find profit in the markets, but I have no intention of going in blind.

All thoughts welcome

cheers
  • 21 replies
    • Satanic4
      Satanic4
      Bronze
      Funny quote from financial news:

“lets get funky ... lets announce everything ... lets be WILDLY positive in our forecasts ... lets take this thing to the extreme ... if we get wacked on the ride down – who gives a shit.” —Eric Lefkofsky

I trade stocks online through my bank. I use stockhouse/google finance to check my stock (only own one currently). However; I think a good way to learn how the stock market works is going to a stock broker investing money through them well also investing a bit by yourself and learning from their advice.

Also Due Diligence is pretty important to do before buying a stock - which can be time consuming.

... Stock market can be weird though was in a couple Uranium stocks they went up a bit sold them off; then japans earthquake happened and the nuclear reactors where melting down the stocks took a dive. One week later in financial news there was a shortage of Uranium and the stocks where right back at previous levels. Figure someone made lots of $.
    • robertdavis
      robertdavis
      Basic
      Yeah, you are absolutely right.Thanks for this awesome creation.

edited: spam link removed by purplefizz
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Silver
      I could never ever grasp how this works, no matter how many times someone tried to explain it to me. Since you do it, could you write briefly what you do and what you pay attention to? The basics of basics please, as I am a complete dumbass if it comes to stock trading!! (If you feel like explaining at all)
    • Satanic4
      Satanic4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inlovewithamsterdam
      I could never ever grasp how this works, no matter how many times someone tried to explain it to me. Since you do it, could you write briefly what you do and what you pay attention to? The basics of basics please, as I am a complete dumbass if it comes to stock trading!! (If you feel like explaining at all)
      I only have $4000 invested currently so usually I only have it in one or two stocks.

When you are looking at buying a stock there are risk levels such as exploration companies are high risk stocks; these guys will go bankrupt over night. Lower risk stocks would be a company like CIBC (bank) which dont usually go bankrupt and pays good dividends but will never have huge 100% gains like a exploration company on a big find.

When looking at high risk stocks look for:

Lawsuits: suck up a lot of funding if a company has one be very careful if you plan on buying a the stock.

Google the CEO (include the ceo's company name in the search for better results) Look for experience and look at past companies he has worked for.

Location: If an exploration company is located in an unstable area I would not buy it since your taking two risks. The country has to stay stable enough for drilling and their drills have to have good results.

Also look at exploration companies around their location (claims) and see if any have results and how their stock price is doing.

Just a few things to look at .. when a company has no financials (except for losses) best thing to look at is the people reputations.

Lower risk stocks are usually banks or large companies such as Intel which at most.. could drop 50% in a recession.

In the stock market your suppose to be making 12% on your intial investment since with just putting it into a no risk interest plan you make 3% for buying/selling property (real estate) you should be making 8% and stock market which is a higher risk you should be making at least 12% .. and if you looking to buy a business you should be aiming for 20% - 30% according to risk.

Ok now if you are looking for a low risk stock to buy you should be looking for a company which you can make 12% or greater over a period of a year. So look for either a company which will create capitol gains in excess of 12% or in payment of dividends.

Again look for lawsuits which could affect the stock price in the near future.

Bigger Companies stock prices will be affected more by current economic conditions.

Look at their plans, and their target price for their stock.

Big companies also have lots of financial information behind them; which makes it possible to do a financial analysis.

Best way to find a stock is probably though other people, networking is important when it comes to stocks since that is how you hear rumors and people will tell you about stocks they have already researched and how they are doing.

Right now I own CPX Capitol power CORP which I bought at 25.00 three months ago. Right now it is at 26.79 and have had one dividend payment. Which is around 7% gains atm. Previously I owned Bankers Petroleum this year (BNK) which I bought at 7.50 it went up to 9.85 sold half at 9.50 but got greedy waiting for financials and sold the other half at 8.50 (over a 6 months period). Broke even on a stock I was trying to buy/sell daily for a penny gain per share ended up taking a dive. But overall I have well over 12% gains but it has been a good year for the stock market.

Also I figure there is going to be a cycle between oil and recessions where oil becomes expensive and we go into a recession (or economy slows down) and then it drops and business goes back to normal. Should do this until there is some break through in science or we fall into anarchy :P

And food prices should be going up over the next 20 years until most of the globe is starving which means fertilizers will be making some $.. which they already are. It also means the world will become unstable; which means wars should become more frequent.

Well those are my opinions on stocks also I am just a beginner and probably best off getting one of those "stock trading for dummies" books which are usually pretty informative. They will go in depth into how to buy stocks.

Also the worst you thing you can do with stocks is fall in love with them. You do not make a profit if you never sell a stock.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Silver
      wow, great response!

that looks interesting, i've read up about the rising food prices - that's bound to have an effect; but I haven't thought about the wars being more frequent! You just buy stock in a company that deals weapons, right?

So you can buy stock in any bigger company you want? I have a feeling that you were talking primarily about companies that have to do with oil and drilling/exploration.

What if all stock is bought out? Can that even happen? Then the only way you can get some is when someone is willing to sell?

What is a dividend? Is it a regular payment that shareholders of a given company receive? (Am i not mixing up stock trading and shareholding here?)

12% gain is pretty good! You don't get half that much when your money's kept in a bank. Oh yeah, by the way - isn't that how banks make money? They invest people's wealth on stock markets and keep most of the profits?

Wow, there is some light in the tunnel now, I'm starting to get it. I might as well get some books on it, that's what I do when I'm interested in something anyway.

However, doesn't stock trading seem morally questionable to you? Especially investing in weapon-trading companies or even oil giants, who pollute the Earth?

Thanks again for your detailed response! Very interesting!
    • Satanic4
      Satanic4
      Bronze
      wow, great response!

that looks interesting, i've read up about the rising food prices - that's bound to have an effect; but I haven't thought about the wars being more frequent! You just buy stock in a company that deals weapons, right?
      Well might not necessarily be war - could be civil decent like the kind in Yemen and the kind which created the war in Libya. As people grow more hungry they will turn on their leaders; which in turn will use weapons bought from western countries to control crowds. Not sure if many small weapon developers are public though. Never really looked into buying their stock.

Also I figure as people become more hungry and angry. Leaders will look for a way to lessen anger against themselves by maybe going to war with other countries as a last ditch effort to stay in power

So you can buy stock in any bigger company you want? I have a feeling that you were talking primarily about companies that have to do with oil and drilling/exploration.
      Well I was just calling larger companies with an income "big" companies because they are less risky. But yeah I have only bought resource or power companies stocks; dunno why just what I have been interested in.

What if all stock is bought out? Can that even happen? Then the only way you can get some is when someone is willing to sell?
      A public company being bought out is actually not uncommon; usually what happens is a company puts a bid on the company like $10 per share and then all the share holders decide if they want to sell out (51% decide) another way a company can be bought out is if company A buys 51% of company Bs stock and then puts a bid up to buy the rest of the stock and it goes through since company A already owns 51%. Each share is a vote. This is called a "Hostile Takeover" since the company does not always want to be bought out.

What is a dividend? Is it a regular payment that shareholders of a given company receive? (Am i not mixing up stock trading and shareholding here?)
      A dividend is a regular payment which you recieve usually quarterly. Trading stocks/shareholding goes hand in hand though. Usually buy a stock for capitol gains but dividends can get you 2% every quarter and if the stock is going up you can have some nice capitol gains.

12% gain is pretty good! You don't get half that much when your money's kept in a bank. Oh yeah, by the way - isn't that how banks make money? They invest people's wealth on stock markets and keep most of the profits?
      Yeah & through loans.

Wow, there is some light in the tunnel now, I'm starting to get it. I might as well get some books on it, that's what I do when I'm interested in something anyway.

However, doesn't stock trading seem morally questionable to you? Especially investing in weapon-trading companies or even oil giants, who pollute the Earth?

Thanks again for your detailed response! Very interesting!
      It is more of a game for me I am usually going for the highest ROI and don't usually think about if I am buying into ethical companies. Also not many companies which are "ethical" even though oil companies dig the stuff out everyone creates the demand for it. I figure its more ethical buying the stock then choosing to vote to continue the use of oil via buying gas.

And no problem :) .
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      I've always heard of stock trading as a side income, but whenever I bring it up I get a million people shouting down my neck at how businessmen jump of buildings because of the stock market, and how others lose their house. Now, with poker knowledge in my arsenal, I just think 'Meh, poor BRM.' but I'd be interested to hear what you (person involved in stock marketing) thinks about this stereotype.

Thanks for the informative post!
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      pokerstrategy are doing tradingstrategy.com but no release date afaik :)
    • Satanic4
      Satanic4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Reaching4Zen
      I've always heard of stock trading as a side income, but whenever I bring it up I get a million people shouting down my neck at how businessmen jump of buildings because of the stock market, and how others lose their house. Now, with poker knowledge in my arsenal, I just think 'Meh, poor BRM.' but I'd be interested to hear what you (person involved in stock marketing) thinks about this stereotype.

Thanks for the informative post!
      Well its not unheard of stereotypes usually have some fact behind it; but professional stock traders or stock brokers are different then people who put only as much money into stocks as they can afford.

But yeah I do know of/know people who have put their house on the line to put more money into the market; but I have never heard them take a loss over a year because they are pretty experienced.

The only way I see someone losing their house on the stock market is when someone is sucked into putting all their money into a high risk stock which they believe will make them rich; but really in the end it was just being pumped up by the CEO. This is why its important to do research on the CEOs experience and reduce risk. Since the stock market like poker is about risk mitigation.

Originally posted by TobyCS
      Yeah I read that news release. Their business model to make $ will be interesting to see. :f_grin: Looking forward to it anyways.
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      I wonder if we'll get $50 to play with :]
    • moovet
      moovet
      Bronze
      source?
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by moovet
      source?
      whois the domain and checks the jobs page
    • danielharris
      danielharris
      Basic
      Don't afraid of loss. You should just go on & get positive result like me. Thanks..

[Link removed by EagleStar88 - Forum Principles]
    • Satanic4
      Satanic4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by danielharris
      Don't afraid of loss. You should just go on & get positive result like me. Thanks..

spamspamspamspamspamspamspamspam
      Hey look this thread is attracting new PS users! :f_biggrin:

lol...
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Yes unfortunately this topic will attract some unwanted and potentially spam infested links.

Please help us to help you all by clicking the "Report" button on any suspected spam or website linked posts and do not click on the website link itself.
      Your mod team will happily checkout any link first and take appropriate action to protect members.

The discussion is a good one, but try to stick to quoting stuff (using [#quote][/quote] without the # ) instead of linking stuff wherever possible.

Best regards,

Bart
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      There's some very good information in this thread.

I discovered stock market not too long ago...Sadly I don't have 10K to invest at the moment or I def would, it seems like it is very very hard to lose money if you invest in the low risk companies like credit cards companies, apples, google, etc.

For sure in a few years from now I will invest a 10k in a few stocks :) .
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      If you are new to financial markets, forget about trying to pick individual stocks - all you will do is provide liquidity to people who are three steps ahead of you. Start by comparing and investing in mutual funds, they will pick the stocks for you. When you have some experience and have invested in a few different funds, then you can start thinking about individual stocks/commodities.
    • MichaelFrayn
      MichaelFrayn
      Basic
      Your info is so good & informative but, i suggest you to visit-: [Link removed by EagleStar88] to know more about trading. Thanks...

ENTB
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      As per my previous post, any links provided solely for advertising or sign-up purposes and without pointing to any content of interest to our members will be removed in line with our Forum Principles.

If you have a genuine article that you think others would enjoy reading, feel free to link it or better still just quote the text in [#quote]text here [#/quote] without the # symbols.

Thanks for your understanding and co-operation.

Best regards,

Bart