[NL2-NL10] NL5, MSS -AQo Top Pair on Flop

• funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Hi guys, posting my first hand evaluation in this forum. I'm still trying to follow everything according to the charts, but could I've done better in this hand?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $3.58
      BB:
      $5.20
      UTG2:
      $1.51
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $0.93
      MP3 (Hero):
      $3.25
      CO:
      $2.70
      BU:
      $1.14

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.37) A, 5, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO raises to $0.60, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.67.

Thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      I would call the raise. Your opponent expects a continuation bet representing an ace, but you have a good ace, especially for MP3, and better than any ace your opponent is likely to have unless he made a really passive (and bad) preflop call with AK. My experience is that micro players call with aces that they should fold. Occasionally, your opponent will have 55 or 88, but if he had this hand he could also just call and hope for a turn bet from you, especially since the flop is dry.

I'll be interested to see the official view. :f_biggrin:
    • funnyclock
      funnyclock
      Bronze
      Thanks, I'm looking forward to the official view too. The thing is I have not played many hands and just began in Poker, less than 1k hands in NL5 to be exact, thus I'm following the charts completely without dwelling into the further strategies and % analysis. That's why in a hand like this I wonder if it could be better played.

That being said, I can't find a lot of articles on the advanced strategies of the MSS too. Most of them around the basic/bronze section are on SSS.
    • Elroch
      Elroch
      Bronze
      Yes, I now see it is necessary to get to gold to see the more advanced MSS material. I was intending to stay at silver for a month to digest the material at this level, as gold requires a bit more volume, but the silver material is only SSS, which I have not used because of buyin requirements on my pokerstrategy registered servers.

The difficulty with your hand is that players are so varied. You could do with an indication whether he might call with AK (rather than raising) or with A8 (rather than folding).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey funnyclock,

Welcome on PokerStrategy Hand Evaluations :) !

I like the way you play preflop, perfectly according to the SHC.

The Flop is the tricky part: you get raised. But you get minraised which is different than if he would be raisin 3 times for example.

I would call this raise because only A5/A8 has you beat since I think 55/88 will slowplay sometimes

On the Turn & River I would check/call again

Best regards,
      Gerv