[NL2-NL10] NL10SH - bottom set vs. weird line

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      The lines those weak players take often confuse the hell out of me.

Villain is fishy, playing 29/11, 3%3betpre over 260 hands. Ch/r flop 13% (obv. small sample), donk flop 30% from the blinds (6 out of 18). WSD 31, W$SD 43. AF 2/2/4. Fold flop to cbet 45%.

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players

UTG: $15.55
      Hero (BTN): $11.48
      SB: $3.25
      BB: $26.26

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 4:heart: 4:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.55, 2 players) T:spade: 4:diamond: A:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.35

On the flop I could have bet more, but since he doesn't fold much anyway I don't want to increase too much my ordinary cbet vs. him. The board is super safe and I want him to stick around and build confidence and a hand, my plan was to fire hard OTT in case he stuck around. And I wanted him to stick around. His fold to turn cbet is 16%, so a potsize on turn would balance the small flop bet.

So the ch/minraise was the first uh-oh. The board is awful for that, so I thought he was pretty much polarized between air or TT. But no way I'm folding now for so cheap.

Turn: ($1.95, 2 players) K:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00

Wtf, now he checks. My plan of firing big on turn is shaky. If fired 1/2pot with the intention of folding to a shove. Checking I thought would be pretty bad, as board got slightly less good and I'd have no info for river play.

River: ($3.95, 2 players) K:diamond:
      BB bets $1.88, Hero calls $1.88

And now he f* donks that river. Any ideas what would he donk with? Straight would have sped up the turn I think. And would be afraid of FH now. TT would have raise turn as well, no? So I started having bad live dreams about AK or, even worse and more according to his play, KT. My doubt was between call, raise or shove of course. I ended up taking the safe route on this one, as I thought raising would isolate me vs. the TT/AK and more likely KT while making him fold Ax, straight and other random trash. Afteral, he could have been bluffing the scare card in case I had AQ-.

Any thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Flop: I'd definitely bet it bigger. If he even does Check/Raise so many boards then why just to let him pay more. :)
      Turn: Definitely would go for bigger value here as well.
      River: Pretty close actually. He definitely has even Ax in his range so sometimes I might even consider making a small raise here to get value from his Ax type of hands.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Flop: I'd definitely bet it bigger. If he even does Check/Raise so many boards then why just to let him pay more. :)
      Turn: Definitely would go for bigger value here as well.
      River: Pretty close actually. He definitely has even Ax in his range so sometimes I might even consider making a small raise here to get value from his Ax type of hands.

Best regards.
      Cheers, Veriz.

Do you think he would he really donk river with just Ax?

And if we raise and he shoves?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Do you think he would he really donk river with just Ax?

Why not? Your line on turn was pretty weak, wouldn't even be surprised if he bluffs there. Although it might definitely be an Ax which tries either to block or get at least some value and avoid you to Check behind.

And if we raise and he shoves?

If we raise to like $6 then we are pretty much committed anyways. But mainly such situations could easily be avoidable by betting the flop bigger and as well the turn. Could easily just ship it on river then.