Hm, is this strategy viable for lower limits?

• eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      I was just thinking of something, what would happen if you would to open like 30 tables, and just play AA,KK,QQ with straight ALL-IN?

It would be easy to multitable since you only need to see if you've gotten the three above mentioned starting cards, and since you'll play like 30+ tables at a time, you'll rack up some crazy hands/hour.

Will this work on lower limits, like NL2-NL5 etc? I'm not really a math wiz, so I can't calculate what would the variance be like, but admit it, it's a strange strategy :)

Best regards,
      -Stefan
  • 12 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      You would maybe be lucky enough to win a stack or 2 but you would bleed blinds away and people would very quickly start insta folding everytime you play. play according to the articles especially at the micros if you want to go far

good luck,
      Carl
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      There are already people playing like that. You'd be just another nit that shoves QQ+ preflop and be exploited by the regs with your 4/4 stats.
    • Riesutas
      Riesutas
      Bronze
      mix it up and add 84o to your pushable hands :s_cool:
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      you completely underestimate how much money you will lose through constantly folding your blinds. seriously, its a lot. If you play 800 hands an hour thats 133 big blinds (9max) you fold away every hour. plus you will be super easy to play against and this strategy could only really be profitable against a table of maniacs, and there are much much more profitable ways to play against a table of maniacs. :p

Poker isnt just about clicking a few buttons and printing easy money, the average player is more competant than you might expect so you really have to work hard to get anywhere.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by Jan217

Poker isnt just about clicking a few buttons and printing easy money, the average player is more competant than you might expect so you really have to work hard to get anywhere.
      Ahhh im starting to see what my leaks are now :f_biggrin:
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly

Ahhh im starting to see what my leaks are now :f_biggrin:
      :f_biggrin:

Now if only I could take my own advice and stop autopiloting all the time after a few hundred hands... :p
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      no, it's not profitable (i think, anyway)
      but why would you do that, when, instead, you can just raise JJ+ and AK+ to 5bb or more and then just bet/bet/bet with a made hand? it's not like that will make you think a lot more, and that will most likely be profitable on nl2
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      its a very interesting idea. you mean, basically play very few and very strong hands, and shove it all in? the concept is there, you just need to polish it a bit, and voila! you will have exactly the Short Stack Strategy ;)
      the math geniuses have already computed the things that need to be computed too.
      then you can multitable it quite mindlessly in the micros. i've done it ;) worked for me.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      the average player is more competant than you might expect so you really have to work hard to get anywhere.
      Considering the rake, the average player is also a losing player :)
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      No.
    • NoOneSpcl
      NoOneSpcl
      Bronze
      Is it profitable? easy to answer: the number of tables is not relevant. First you have to determine if it's profitable at all. If it is in 1, it'll be in 30. Multitabling only multiplies the result...if it's a losing strategy on 1 table, it'll be 30 times as losing on 30 tables.

For the numbers. You're playing 1.4% of your hands. That means you play about 1 hand in 70!

That means you play, on average, once every 8 orbits or so (closer to 7.7).

So you'll be paying 8*1.5 BB = 12 BB to play a single hand. And when you do, why do you expect to win anything most of the time? although most micro stakes players call too often, I can assure you the vast majority of them does NOT call a preflop all in without a monster hand very often (although they sometimes do). That means you'll most often won't be called at all and win only the blinds, and you'll lose 8 times that till the next hand...

so you'll be called only after pushing a few times (on average) and already losing dozens of BB (and that's on a loose table. a direct preflop all in may not be called at all for many times. So you could conceivably expect to lose close to a whole buy-in before anyone calls you!)

and when you DO get called, most (granted, not all), of the times you'll run into other monster hands. Especially the QQ, will often run into AK, KK, AA, two of which crush it, and it is only a very slight favourite vs. AK.

Considering you already have to make up for a deficit of many dozens of BBs from the times you weren't called, and your equity often isn't really sky high when you do get called with QQ, and probably often run into very high A hands (from looser callers in these limits) with KK which still have 30% against you...

So...this strategy is either sure loser, or a horribly weak winner (against a table of maniacs you could get a low winrate).

playing it on 30 tables will just mean accumulating these losses 30 times faster :) NOT recommended.

However, extending the hands you play a bit, and playing with the stack size and sometimes going all in on the flop instead of preflop, as the circumstances dictate, would lead you to the Short Stack Strategy on pokerstrategy.com's strategy articles. It's not much more complicated than what you've described... Just not THAT simple. :)

Good luck
    • neil0707
      neil0707
      Bronze
      Tried it in the Pokerstars PSO......No good at all...hours and hours of f-all then get donked by T-5o ....Had AA second hand and pushed and lost.
      I really belive that opponent surveying, board texture and knowing when to fold are SOME of the key things to learn from PS and our forum..i cant speak for my on line game :D but im decimating my local live games thanks to PS. However ran really good in the $100,000 dollar game of your life events...lol