This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10SH - 4bet light sees a flop

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Howdy ho,

Villain is a maniac w/ 30/25 and 24% 3bet, most of them from blinds. AF 8.

I know I shouldn't even have opened this hand vs. this villain, I made a mistake. It is in my "standard" openings from SB so I did it and only after he 3bet I realized "oh, sh*, it's this guy again". So I only 4bet as a bluff to try slow him down. I never thought he would call so my plan was simple: fold to a shove, as at least I have a blocker.

But he called and left me in a weird spot. I have no idea on his calling range. Since I hit my ace and the board was *ok* I tried a cbet. Didn't work and he floated (?) a 4bet board. Nice pot.

Anyway, my questions are many, from "are the betsizes ok?" to "is it a reasonable attempt to stop a guy like this? (probably not) passing through "should I have checked the flop since I have sd value? Any chance he would check back w/ some medium pairs? Or should I have shoved flop or turn?". Shoving seemed horrible to me, I mean... cbetting was already out of my plan and maybe I should have just ch/f flop anyway.

This was my 1st time a 4bet actually got called so I had no idea what to do :f_biggrin:

To the hand:

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

CO: $13.01
      BTN: $5.21
      Hero (SB): $10.04
      BB: $10.15
      UTG: $16.30

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 7:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $0.95, Hero raises to $2.50, BB calls $1.55

Flop: ($5.00, 2 players) A:club: 8:spade: Q:club:
      Hero bets $1.75, BB calls $1.75

Turn: ($8.50, 2 players) 4:club:
      Hero checks, BB bets $5.90 and is all-in, fold

BB wins $8.08
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Against such a maniac use min-raise. Then you would get perfect odds to Call and play against him and don't have to 4bet.
      Postflop: I'd just CBet it a bit bigger ~$3 and commit myself. And therefore as well go broke. :) He may still even try to bluff out or whatsoever vs your line. Might sense weakness and tries to float and see what you do on turn.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Against such a maniac use min-raise. Then you would get perfect odds to Call and play against him and don't have to 4bet.
      Postflop: I'd just CBet it a bit bigger ~$3 and commit myself. And therefore as well go broke. :) He may still even try to bluff out or whatsoever vs your line. Might sense weakness and tries to float and see what you do on turn.

Best regards.
      :(

In fact, I was planning to fire a spade of course. I didn't have a plan for a blank, probably ch/f. But with a 3rd club I ended giving up... Anyway, even if he does 3bet bad aces there are loads of better aces in his range...

But seriously? min-raise/call and play A7 without initiative and OOP? :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      Hello luizsilveira,

Best regards.
      :(

In fact, I was planning to fire a spade of course. I didn't have a plan for a blank, probably ch/f. But with a 3rd club I ended giving up... Anyway, even if he does 3bet bad aces there are loads of better aces in his range...

But seriously? min-raise/call and play A7 without initiative and OOP? :P
      Why not? I find myself perfectly well playing with A7s. :) You can as well go for a 4bet if you raising. The thing is if you raising then you must have a plan either to 4bet or go for a Call. Raise/Fold doesn't make sense against such an opponent.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze

Why not? I find myself perfectly well playing with A7s. :) You can as well go for a 4bet if you raising. The thing is if you raising then you must have a plan either to 4bet or go for a Call. Raise/Fold doesn't make sense against such an opponent.
      Cheers.

Well, I did have a plan of 4bet/fold. I didn't want to play a flop at all and his call completely took me out of my balance.

Since I had planned not to play a flop, I ended up folding the hand. I felt it wouldn't be good to get excited and change too much of the plan just because an A fell OTF.