[NL2-NL10] NL10SH - 4bet light sees a flop

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Howdy ho,

Villain is a maniac w/ 30/25 and 24% 3bet, most of them from blinds. AF 8.

I know I shouldn't even have opened this hand vs. this villain, I made a mistake. It is in my "standard" openings from SB so I did it and only after he 3bet I realized "oh, sh*, it's this guy again". So I only 4bet as a bluff to try slow him down. I never thought he would call so my plan was simple: fold to a shove, as at least I have a blocker.

But he called and left me in a weird spot. I have no idea on his calling range. Since I hit my ace and the board was *ok* I tried a cbet. Didn't work and he floated (?) a 4bet board. Nice pot.

Anyway, my questions are many, from "are the betsizes ok?" to "is it a reasonable attempt to stop a guy like this? (probably not) passing through "should I have checked the flop since I have sd value? Any chance he would check back w/ some medium pairs? Or should I have shoved flop or turn?". Shoving seemed horrible to me, I mean... cbetting was already out of my plan and maybe I should have just ch/f flop anyway.

This was my 1st time a 4bet actually got called so I had no idea what to do :f_biggrin:

To the hand:

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

CO: $13.01
      BTN: $5.21
      Hero (SB): $10.04
      BB: $10.15
      UTG: $16.30

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 7:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $0.95, Hero raises to $2.50, BB calls $1.55

Flop: ($5.00, 2 players) A:club: 8:spade: Q:club:
      Hero bets $1.75, BB calls $1.75

Turn: ($8.50, 2 players) 4:club:
      Hero checks, BB bets $5.90 and is all-in, fold

BB wins $8.08
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Against such a maniac use min-raise. Then you would get perfect odds to Call and play against him and don't have to 4bet.
      Postflop: I'd just CBet it a bit bigger ~$3 and commit myself. And therefore as well go broke. :) He may still even try to bluff out or whatsoever vs your line. Might sense weakness and tries to float and see what you do on turn.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Against such a maniac use min-raise. Then you would get perfect odds to Call and play against him and don't have to 4bet.
      Postflop: I'd just CBet it a bit bigger ~$3 and commit myself. And therefore as well go broke. :) He may still even try to bluff out or whatsoever vs your line. Might sense weakness and tries to float and see what you do on turn.

Best regards.
      :(

In fact, I was planning to fire a spade of course. I didn't have a plan for a blank, probably ch/f. But with a 3rd club I ended giving up... Anyway, even if he does 3bet bad aces there are loads of better aces in his range...

But seriously? min-raise/call and play A7 without initiative and OOP? :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      Hello luizsilveira,

Best regards.
      :(

In fact, I was planning to fire a spade of course. I didn't have a plan for a blank, probably ch/f. But with a 3rd club I ended giving up... Anyway, even if he does 3bet bad aces there are loads of better aces in his range...

But seriously? min-raise/call and play A7 without initiative and OOP? :P
      Why not? I find myself perfectly well playing with A7s. :) You can as well go for a 4bet if you raising. The thing is if you raising then you must have a plan either to 4bet or go for a Call. Raise/Fold doesn't make sense against such an opponent.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze

Why not? I find myself perfectly well playing with A7s. :) You can as well go for a 4bet if you raising. The thing is if you raising then you must have a plan either to 4bet or go for a Call. Raise/Fold doesn't make sense against such an opponent.
      Cheers.

Well, I did have a plan of 4bet/fold. I didn't want to play a flop at all and his call completely took me out of my balance.

Since I had planned not to play a flop, I ended up folding the hand. I felt it wouldn't be good to get excited and change too much of the plan just because an A fell OTF.