[NL2-NL10] NL10SH - TPTK+nutFD+OOP = donk/shove?

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

UTG: $18.02
      MP: $10.39
      CO: $10.23
      BTN: $14.52
      SB: $17.36
      Hero (BB): $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:club: A:club:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, CO raises to $0.40, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.25, 3 players) J:diamond: 7:club: 9:club:
      Hero bets $0.60, UTG calls $0.60, CO raises to $2.20, Hero raises to $9.60 and is all-in, fold, CO calls $7.40

Turn: ($21.05, 2 players) 8:club:

River: ($21.05, 2 players) 3:heart:

Both villains unknown but I thought UTG was coming along. And I'd probably call w/ AJ suited anyway without him.

OTF I thought I have too good an equity to check it. Check-raising could be an option but since it's multiway vs. unknowns I didn't want them checking back. So donking, to build a pot. Is the size ok?

After his raise, well. I doubt the guy behind me was going to call anyway, and regardless I thought calling was awful OOP. What would be turn plan in case of a no-hit? So I decided to shove.

The main question here is: what does a shove achieve? Am I turning TPTK into a bluff? Is it for value? Protection? I mean: he would only fold what I already beat, and call with whatever I'm racing with: if overpairs I'm probably flipping (well, no SO bad), and I'm trailing sets.

I don't know, I'm confused :f_biggrin: Would call flop, check/raise turn be an option, depending on what comes? If he checks back turn I can always re-evaluate river, that wouldn't be sooo bad I think, as the pot is already decent and then I can fire most rivers.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Don't like the small donk on flop. You are just saying the hand, I have a FD. :D Give me a cheap card. Guess if I want to donk it here then I would do it like $1. And therefore I guess as played I would just take the odds and not go broke. It's kinda problematic to ship:

Board: J:diamond: 7:club: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    43.09%  42.75%   0.33% { AcJc }
      UTG+1  56.91%  56.58%   0.33% { JJ+, 99, 77 }

We getting like somewhat equity although it's still near break-even or a bit profit. Therefore why not take the odds and maybe UTG Calls as well.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      In other words you thing check/call is better?
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      And hey, you put a pretty tight range for him. That would be his calling range, at most. You've got to put there the worse KQ FD, combodraws w/ club suited connectors, AJ other suit, ... no?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      In other words you thing check/call is better?
      Nah, donking is still fine but I would just do it bigger. Would commit ourselves more and he might even not raise this way. Plus we hide our TP+nutFD.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      And hey, you put a pretty tight range for him. That would be his calling range, at most. You've got to put there the worse KQ FD, combodraws w/ club suited connectors, AJ other suit, ... no?
      Just made a view of tighter range. Usually I try to get the understanding with tighter range while the opponent is unknown.

AJ ain't that likely, they ain't overplaying their TP so often and while we kill 2 of them already.