Big Book of Poker (BSS)

• eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Welcome to my blog! :)

:club: Personal Info :club:
      My name is Stefan, I am 18 years old. I'm an aspiring poker player and am really keen on learning more and more about it. I don't have much time for a fancy intro right now, but I promise I'll write one once I'm done with school which should be in a few days.

:heart: Poker Plan :heart:
      Well, my main (long time goal) is to be a winning high-stakes HU player. I'm also happy to say I'm a proud to be a BSS Beginner School student. I'll start with nearly 50$ of bankroll that I currently have and we'll see how it goes from there. I'll use my blog for time being as a showcase of how a BSS School student will progress on his journey. :f_biggrin:

My plan is to be playing a lot of hands per day, but that's really depends on time I have available. The school year is almost finished, so basically from Wednesday 15th of June I should have a lot of time on my disposal. One downside is that I'm going to summer vacation on 1st of July. But after that I'm all on Poker.

:club: Short Recap :club:
      - Playing BSS on NL2.
      - Playing at least 1000 hands per day, but more is better.

:club: Goals :club:
      - Get 50k at NL2. (currently at 20.2k)
      - Start playing NL10 SH and go up the limits from there.

:heart: Long-term Goal :heart:
      - My only long-time goal is to be a winning HU player in high-stakes.

:spade: Blog Structure :spade:
      I'll be posting here three different types of posts. One will be graph posts which will contain both the lifetime graph up to that point and the graph of that day of playing. I'll be also posting some interesting hands posts as well as theory posts if I find something interesting.
  • 18 replies
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :spade: Graph Post - #1 :spade:

Current Bankroll:
      - $43,78

Nothing pretty to look at, I agree with you, but you have no idea how many times I've lost KK to AA, QQ to KK, and stuff like that. We'll see what happens after more hands, this is just like two days of playing. :f_cool:
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi extremeAce

Nice to see your blog. And well done to have got in the school. TBH with over 20BI, I would start straight away with BSS especially been lucky to be in the school. Studying in the school is one part. playing is another and both complete each other. I have played SSS, then MSS (most of my experience is MSS) and finally I am now playing BSS. But at NL2 by playing solid poker you should be able to progress fast.

btw which site do you play?

good luck at the tables

Thazar
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for stopping by Thazar! :club:

To be honest, I was thinking of ditching MSS and going completely with BSS, one more reason being that I'm in school, so it's much easier to focus on one thing completely. Actually, I'm still thinking... :rolleyes:

For me, the best scenario would be to get my BR just a big higher, let's say in the zone of 60-70$ so that I'll be safe to play with BSS and don't risk losing my entire BR. What do you think, is it possible to lose 20BI bankroll just by variance/bad luck, or is it highly unluckily?

How did MSS worked out for you? Did you start on micro limits like I have, and did you incorporate stats/reads?

Looking forward hearing back from you,
      Best regards,
      -Stefan
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Well MSS is more swingy that BSS. I had often swings of 20BI in MSS but a lot less in BSS. well atm it's going up, up, up.

I think I started by playing SSS NL10 then MSS NL10 and I did withdraw a lot and I am still at NL. the highest I have played is NL50 MSS and NL25 BSS. but aiming to reach NL100 a crush it by the end of the year.

add me on skype and we can discuss more in details about the rest. I added you in the community tools. accept me and send me your skype.

good luck

thazar
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Thazar, sent you a message!
      Well I had no idea MSS is that swingy, but it makes sense really, when you think about it.

I think I'll set my self a BR stop loss, and if I happen to reach it by playing MSS I'll start focusing on BSS.

Cheers,
      -Stefan
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Session Update + Some Info :club:

Well, I did a session of 500hands yesterday, but have only found time to post today. It went pretty good, and I'm back on square on, actually $0.22 in profit but who cares.

I've also decided to go full BSS from now on. There are many reasons behind this, but one of the strongest is I'm a student of BSS school, so why not put all focus on that and be a good BSS player (and hopefully a winner!).

I have some exams, but after that I think I'll put alot of hours into Poker and hopefully make something out of it. :f_biggrin:

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Hey dear readers (if there are any) :club: ,

I haven't posted in ages.. But it's not to say that I haven't been playing poker, in fact in past couple of days, I've played most in my lifetime, as I am on summer break right now.

Summer started pretty awesome, to say the least, I've spent some time in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, and it was crazy. I definatly recommend it to anyone who's looking for good time, partying all night long and things like that.. :)
      I can't really say anything about sea, as I've never stepped into it, actually. You could find me mostly in pools, and discos. :D

Here are some pictures if you find them fancy. :P

I'll make my post poker-wise, as I don't really like long posts, maybe it's just me. ;)

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :heart: Poker Time :heart:

Okay, now the fun stuff.. So as you know from reading my blog above I'm cash player and have started playing NL2.. I was FTP player, and was playing there, not good tho, so when FTP crashed I got First Aid Bonus for PartyPoker and everything you read from now on below is happening on PartyPoker. :f_biggrin:

I quickly became so familiar with my strategy that I was multitabling 9-tables 9-max cash games at one point.

I had some good swings, and ended up +$16.47 after 10.716 hands with a winrate of 7.68bb/100..

Then I talked with some people, especially with Thazar, and then decided to take a 3BI shot at NL4. At first, it was rough, perhaps I just had bad luck. After playing like 30-50min I remember I was -9.30$ and I almost though that I'll go over -12$ (my 3BI shot) and that I would have to move to NL2 again. But as it turned on, after 5.5k+ hands I'm positive in NL4. Let's just hope I won't need to go back to NL2 again, but even if I do I don't have issues with stepping down a limit.

That's it for now. We'll see how it goes from now on. Good thing is that I play really a lot lately, even up to 3.5k hands per day, but am trying never to go below atleast 1k hands per day.

My current Bankroll: $73.03

My goal for now is to get my BR to 400-500$ so that I could play NL10 shorthanded with safety cushion of 40-50BI, as I've heard there is much more variance in SH than in FR. :)

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      keep it up ;)
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      It's time for my mini school of poker. :)

Disclaimer: Why would you listen to me, or anything I say, I am not even a big winning player yet, right? That's totally true, but on the other hand, thing that I post into my mini school of poker are not invented by me, they are summarize of reading many articles, watching many videos and more. Another reason why I am going to continue to post more posts like this is because I simply learn things better (and more firmly) when I teach them to someone.

So without further ado, I present to you today's topic..

We all love them, but sometimes we feel sad when we don't extract much value out of them, either by our bad play or simply because of an opponent. I'll show you how I handle flopping and set, and even start with my preflop game.

I like to play pairs from 22 even up to JJ for set values. Some would argue that JJ, and even TT are worth much more, because you rarely flop set (once in 8.5 times) and I agree with them up to some point, but simply at my level of play and my BR I threat them just like 22, either I hit them hard and am willing to go broke with them or I just fold them.

How I play them pre-flop? Well if you've ever looked at SHC by PokerStrategy that should summarize it pretty well, but I'll include it here just in case you haven't so that we can jump to post-flop, where all the fun starts. :)

You basically want to limp in, see a cheap flop and then decided your course of action. However, this can't be always the case, simply because many times an opponent may open-raise. When someone open-raises you're looking to call the raise as long as you and your opponent's stack is 20x the bet amount. Why is this? Well because we only flop a set so rarely, and we do we don't want to end up in the hand with an opponent who is shortstacked, even if he's willing to go broke on that flop (which is rarely, because he's shortstack, and if he isn't playing SSS, it's likely that he doesn't have big of BR and is looking to go broke only with a monster) you can't earn much and simply calling much for flopping a set then doesn't pay off.

If you're in late position and everyone folded to you, it's a good opportunity to open-raise, it's kind of a semi-bluff, you can get them to fold preflop, or have some post-flop play ability, mainly if you hit a set.

So pre-flop play should be easy, just to be sure here's a recap.
      -Limp in, unless you're in early position.
      -Call a raise if both your and opponent stack is 20x the raise amount.
      -Raise from late position (BTN, CO or even from Highjack).

Everything you've read so far (above) is mostly from PokerStrategy, if not all, but what you're about to read is something I've developed from reading/watching many different sources.

There are two possibility to end on flop, you can either be In Position or Out of Position, and we'll handle these two different scenarios differently.

First case we'll deal with is when we are In Position and board is dry, there are no flush draws or straight draws possible.

:spade: If we have raised pre-flop (case when we're in late position, and blinds call) and opponent checks back to you, what do you do? If you said check you're being to greedy and you're making yourself look suspicious. Why, you ask? Well, just think, we're good players, and we tend to cBet the flop after we have Initiative (we've raised preflop) because 2/3 of time we flop air, and our cBet needs to work only 40% of time if we're betting 50-60% of pot size in order for it to be profitable. If we don't cBet, we're doing something out of ordinary and opponent can pick up a tell on that. Plus we're making a pot bigger if he calls, or even check/raises us.

:spade: If we have raised pre-flop and opponent bets into you. Do we re-raise him? No, he's looking for information, he wants to know where he stands with his hand on this flop. Let's not help him, let's just call and leave him guessing. Mostly likely he will bet again on turn either as a bluff or as a value bet, and we should call him on turn, as well. On the other hand if you re-raised him, there is a chance he'll just fold.

:spade: If an opponent raised pre-flop and checks to us. In this case, there is a good chance he hit a flop hard and is looking for a check/raise. Let him, bet and then decided whether to call or re-raise his re-raise.

:spade: If an opponent raised pre-flop and bets into us. Call his cBet, leave him guessing and hope he'll bet the turn as well.

If the board is DRAWY, do not slowplay, you can trap yourself.
      Just bet/raise and try to either 1) end your hand on flop, or 2) go all-in while you have advantage (without scary card on turn).

Now we'll deal with the case when we're Out of Position and the board is dry.

It's different when we're out of position. To play the most +ev move, we should know our opponent. If he's aggresive, making a weak lead (betting when we didn't have Initiative preflop) is good way to take most of his money. On the other hand if our opponent is weak, which is usually on lower limits, and limits I play, best route it to check/call him, and then maybe raise on river.

If the board is DRAWY, do not slowplay, you can trap yourself.

We're the preflop aggressor, bet, don't let him see next card for free.
      We are not the preflop aggressor, check/raise their cBet (pot size bet or go all in). It sucks if your check/raise fails, and he checks behind you. Then we should see a turn card and evaluate our options there.

Conclusion
      It's a nice when we hit a set, but it's not a solved game yet! We must then work on extracting as much money from our opponents as we can and not letting ourselves get burned if scary card comes.

Hope you've enjoyed reading this guys, and hope some of it made sense to and made you think a bit different than you used to. This is mostly for a beginners and players on my level, I guess any higher player should already know this pretty well..

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Small update :club:

Just a small update, I've played around 1.5k hands and this is my graph right now at NL4.

My current Bankroll: $82.29

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      good but you will do even better if you focus solely on the tables while playing. Close any distraction, True story bro!

;)
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      good but you will do even better if you focus solely on the tables while playing. Close any distraction, True story bro!

;)
      I know, I know.. but it's just tempting! It feels to me like I'm wasting time if I'm just playing multitables. lol :D

J/k aside I can see where are you going with it, and you're deffo right, I'm looking to stop doing other stuff whilst multitabling. Good starting point would be to shutdown Skype and turn off my mobile I guess. :f_cry:
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Small Update :club:

Another 1.5k in.

My current Bankroll: $78.09

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Update :club:

After 3k hands, I'm having pretty terrible run actually. I don't know, I have trips, villain manages to make a straight, I have two pair villain has trips and things like that. Sucks what more can I say. :D

My current Bankroll: $58.57

On a brighter side I've almost cleared my 50$ First Aid bonus on PartyPoker. Today I think I will be able to do with cash whatever I want because I'll surpass the 100 points needed to withdraw. I'm still thinking if I should make a switch to PokerStars or stay here, any opinions?

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :club: Update :club:

Okay guys and gals, haven't posted here in a while, but been playing the game we all love of course.

I failed my 3BI shot a NL4, it lasted throughout 13.7k hands, but it didn't worked well.. I'm back on grinding NL2 right now and defiantly trying NL4 again later.

Here's the NL4 graph.

So onto NL2, I'm doing fine there I guess, tho I have been having some bad runs, hands like this:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $3.27
      CO:
      $4.93
      BU:
      $1.73
      SB (Hero):
      $2.76

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K.
      CO raises to $0.06, BU raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BU raises to $1.73, Hero calls $1.43.

Flop: ($3.54) 5, 9, Q (2 players)
      Turn: ($3.54) J (2 players)
      River: ($3.54) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.54.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).
      BU shows two pairs, nines and fives(9 5).

BU wins with two pairs, nines and fives(9 5).

And more of that nature.. :D

And here's a NL2 graph

My current and ONLY goal for now is to get 50k hands at NL2 for more reasons. First, even if I get a heater right now and could take another NL4 shot, I firstly want to know if I'm winning player at least on NL2.. I believe 50k hands on that microstake is enough to prove that, any opinions on this?

That way when I go later to NL4 and fail (well, i wouldn't like this to happen, but who knows) I want to know deep in myself that I have NL2 crushed and that I can go there at anytime and grind back my BR.. It's something more for my psychology than anything else.. :f_cool:

Once I hit the 50k hands mark, well, depending on how many $ I have by then, I'll climb to next higher stake, or maybe even at NL10 if I get extremely lucky.

My current Bankroll: $37.67

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :spade: Milestone achieved! :spade:

20.000 played at NL2, next milestone at 50.000 hands.

I hope next 30.000 hands will get me up to total bankroll of 100$, which shouldn't be a hard because I have some bonuses of 30$ locked in..

My current Bankroll: $66.09

All in all, after 50k hands at NL2 I hope to have around 100$ for NL4. :f_biggrin:

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      :diamond: Update, halfway there! :diamond:

Alright, just over 25k, halfway to my first goal. :P

My current Bankroll: $64.94

Not having rakeback sucks when playing this way.. :( I would have nearly the same amount of $$$ in winnings in rakeback.. but what can I do, PP has a VIP scheme..

Best regards,
      -eXtremeACE