what is a good strategy against call station players?

• parikal
      parikal
      Bronze
      hi guys.
      what is a best strategy against 4-5 call station players?
      i found worst players you never seen before!
      i was thinking i should beat them easily but i lost everything!
      that's worse more than play money games.
      every hand at least 4 players want see flop and they will come to river.
      they call my pre-flop raise and call my bets after flop.
      if i go for all-in atleast 2 player call me!
      they play with every crapy hands and i can't see what cards they may have.
      and at the end one opponent beats my AK or AQ by K2! ;(
      it's look like a joke!
  • 5 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Don't bluff, just bet when (you think) you have the best hand. That should be enough. Sure, suckouts, bad beats, setups etc. will happen, but you should be able to make money long term.
    • Reaching4Zen
      Reaching4Zen
      Bronze
      Calling stations are the best players to play agasint b/c they never fold. Just dont try and bluff them.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Bjela has it right. When you have a good hand, bet big and try to get stacks in by the river. Don't bluff them, don't continuation bet them. Check/fold if you don't hit on the flop and you'll win in the long run when people pay you off.
    • racenutalways
      racenutalways
      Bronze
      Remember: calling stations CALL, when they show aggression RUN :D

Keep pots small, they will chase bad odds, Value bet only!!!!!

Some say to narrow your range, I play more, I just limp and hope to hit. They are expensive to play, but your post flop skills are better then theirs(hopefully).

Put the bloody bastards all in pre flop with QQ+,AKs, having position this play is easy. OOP limp/all-in works often, if not play your hand aggressively post but not to stack yourself. You do only have 1 pair.

I see this so often, hero raises his AA from utg, calling station calls from the BB with Q2 soooooted. Flop comes QQx, hero can't seem to get away from his aces to donk bets to the river or re-raises all-in and goes broke. When against aggression, RUN!!!

They are high variance, another thing we need to overcome playing online poker
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by racenutalways
      Remember: calling stations CALL, when they show aggression RUN :D
      I agree with this, and with much of what you say,

Keep pots small,
      but this seems way off. Calling stations do not judge the strengths of hands properly. They are going to play badly on the river. Do you want them to play badly in a small pot, or in a big pot? If they will play equally badly, then you will profit more when you get them to stack off, not to pay off a value bet in a small pot.

Some say to narrow your range, I play more, I just limp and hope to hit.
      They are expensive to play, but your post flop skills are better then theirs(hopefully).
      I agree that you can play more hands. However, if you overlimp you are letting other people enter the pot, and then you aren't playing against just the calling station. This means your advantage is much smaller. Instead, strongly consider making an isolation raise with a wide range. This will usually knock the blinds out, and it will often leave you heads-up against the calling station with position.

I see this so often, hero raises his AA from utg, calling station calls from the BB with Q2 soooooted. Flop comes QQx, hero can't seem to get away from his aces to donk bets to the river or re-raises all-in and goes broke. When against aggression, RUN!!!

You should be careful when a passive player raises. Even preflop, when someone who is 60/5 raises, it is the 5 which matters, not the 60. However, it's also not bad to play AA strongly. If there is a QQ6 flop, and the calling station has 86, how will he play it? Sometimes he will bet into the PFR. As long as the calling station's play is consistent with many weaker hands, you don't need to feel ashamed when you pay off a stronger hand.

Disconnected offsuit hands outflop overpairs about 3.5% of the time. AA can draw out even after it is outflopped. The calling station is going to lose a lot after flopping just one pair, which happens almost 10 times as often.

They are high variance, another thing we need to overcome playing online poker
      The mathematical variance may be high when you try to play big pots against calling stations. However, your win rate should increase much more significantly, making playing against calling stations safer than playing normal poker. Do not use variance as an excuse to avoid calling stations.