Hi from Australia! im a losing player.... found this site to fix that hopefully!

    • Apophenia
      Apophenia
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.06.2011 Posts: 7
      Hi everyone!

      I love poker, I think a little too much. But Ive been losing a lot recently. My account on Tilt is GSong.

      I think my leaks so far are these...

      1. playing too high for my BR. I struggle playing 2nl. I like playing 25nl 6max and 50nl HU, but my BR is just insufficient for it.

      2. I play well usually for the first 15-45mins. Then all of a sudden I start losing everywhere. I play SnG's and usually win the first 3 in a row, and then lose the next 10-15 in a row.

      I feel there are a lot of psychological problems that keep arising, like lack of discipline and control. Are there exercises that can help you with these? like goal setting etc... I know rationally that I need to do things to stop hurting my BR, but when im in the game, it doesnt always seem to work....

      Any help would be much appreciated. Even if someone has, or has had similar problems in the past, how they deal with it....


      Cheers!
  • 11 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.03.2011 Posts: 12,162
      Hi Apophenia,

      Big welcome to our community!

      Before I would go into any deep of commenting on your post, I think you should visit the Bestest thread in this forum with Jared Tendler... he has been an enormous help to all of us in the community. Do you know him?

      Yes or no it doesn't even matter, go and post whatever is in your mind and don't forget to read the posts from the others..

      I think its already a huge +EV that you even realized where your leaks come from.. many players struggle finding out the cause of their bad run...

      We are here to help and encourage our members. I'll ask the guys to come pop by and help you with some of your indepth questions :)

      Hope you'll enjoy staying with PokerStrategy.com and looking forward to share more of your thoughts with us.

      Ingrid
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.03.2008 Posts: 4,508
      hi apophenia,

      yes mindset is one of the most important things we need to come to terms with as poker players. i think that it's great that you are able to identify your own leaks. it's the first (and most important) step to plugging them! :D

      playing outside your bankroll carries some disadvantages. aside from the obvious risk of going broke due to some unlucky run, it could also affect you mentally because you become very results oriented which may affect your decision making.

      why do you think you start losing in later games? some questions for you:
      1. do you start losing focus the longer you play?
      2. do you tilt? (there's also some form of tilt with winning. for example, some ppl feel invincible and become more prone to gamble)
      3. is your sample size enough? it could just be variance playing with your mind, in which case, you just need to keep playing your A-game.

      so many people try to succeed in poker, but only those with the most discipline really make it.

      that's my two cents. :D i'm sure more experienced players will come along shortly and contribute their opinions.

      smiles,
      wendy
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Joined: 23.02.2008 Posts: 1,015
      Originally posted by purplefizz

      so many people try to succeed in poker, but only those with the most discipline really make it.

      Wendy, :) :)

      I totally agree with You here. Discipline is the most difficult element to master
      in poker.

      smiles,
      Michal
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.03.2008 Posts: 4,508
      Originally posted by sapheal
      Originally posted by purplefizz

      so many people try to succeed in poker, but only those with the most discipline really make it.

      Wendy, :) :)

      I totally agree with You here. Discipline is the most difficult element to master
      in poker.

      smiles,
      Michal
      and in life too! :D
      do you have a coaching today michal?

      [x] excited to attend

      you better rock it! :f_biggrin:
    • TeddyTaiwan
      TeddyTaiwan
      Silver
      Joined: 26.02.2011 Posts: 160
      Which Part of Aus?
    • Apophenia
      Apophenia
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.06.2011 Posts: 7
      Hi,

      Ill make sure to check it out. Thanks!
    • Apophenia
      Apophenia
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.06.2011 Posts: 7
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi apophenia,

      yes mindset is one of the most important things we need to come to terms with as poker players. i think that it's great that you are able to identify your own leaks. it's the first (and most important) step to plugging them! :D

      playing outside your bankroll carries some disadvantages. aside from the obvious risk of going broke due to some unlucky run, it could also affect you mentally because you become very results oriented which may affect your decision making.

      why do you think you start losing in later games? some questions for you:
      1. do you start losing focus the longer you play?
      2. do you tilt? (there's also some form of tilt with winning. for example, some ppl feel invincible and become more prone to gamble)
      3. is your sample size enough? it could just be variance playing with your mind, in which case, you just need to keep playing your A-game.

      so many people try to succeed in poker, but only those with the most discipline really make it.

      that's my two cents. :D i'm sure more experienced players will come along shortly and contribute their opinions.

      smiles,
      wendy

      Hi Wendy,
      I think its a factor of all 3 lol...
      1. I think I do start losing focus the longer I play. I think I get lazier as the session gets on. At the start, Im always thinking about their range vs my range, why they are betting etc... However after awhile, I seem to just hit top pair and go all the way. After the hand, Ill realise that I hadnt even thought about his holding. It causes me to spew quite a bit

      2. I think I must tilt. Once I win a few SnG's, I get a feeling that "Pah! this is easy!" and play too arrogantly and will then continue to lose consistently. I stopped playing cash games because this was so severe, and I could drop 20bi's pretty quick.

      3. It could be variance, but ive noted on one of the poker hand tracking sites that Ive played about 40k hands. however, my graph is not up and down. It just goes down. lol.

      I really feel it is discipline that is the main factor, and I really think that you are right that discipline is the only thing that people will make it or not. Its the same with everywhere in life.

      Are there any other posts that have helped people with the discipline area?

      Thanks for all your support!
    • Apophenia
      Apophenia
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.06.2011 Posts: 7
      Originally posted by TeddyTaiwan
      Which Part of Aus?
      Adelaide!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.03.2008 Posts: 4,508
      i would start by reading poker mindset or elements of poker. both great books which helped me tremendously. :)
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Joined: 23.02.2008 Posts: 1,015
      Originally posted by purplefizz

      do you have a coaching today michal?

      [x] excited to attend

      you better rock it! :f_biggrin:
      Yeah, I do have one :)
    • Apophenia
      Apophenia
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.06.2011 Posts: 7
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      i would start by reading poker mindset or elements of poker. both great books which helped me tremendously. :)
      cheers! will read both!