My 600$ deposit is going to be +EV (An SNG Blog)

• CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

First and foremost I would like to welcome anyone who has come to read my first poker blog. I have waited several months to write this blog which is the first official step to the beginning of my poker career.

I will start by introducing myself. I just turned 18 a few months ago and I am a student from Quebec, Canada. In September I will be starting my last year of school before University. I’m currently in a science program. Hence, I find the whole mathematical aspect of poker very interesting. Also, for those who are interested, I used to be on the national swimming team when I was 15 I was one of the best swimmers in Canada in my age group at the time. This made my travel a shitload because of all of the competitions and training camps. It is needless to say that I’m a fairly competitive guy. However I injured myself which forced me to quit. Anyways now to get to the poker part!

I started playing poker about two years ago with my friends in SnG home games with a buy in of 5 to 10$ that we would organize once every few weeks. I found this site and subscribed about a year ago. Like most people, I quickly busted my first 50$ on FT because of a major lack of BRM. It didn’t really bother me because SC2 was being released shortly after anyways.
      Indeed, I played a lot of SC2 when it was first released. I achieved rank 1 in my diamond league and then quickly got bored because of a lack of personal objectives to achieve. That being said, I have always played lots of video games and I have always been able to achieve top ranks in my servers like in WC3 and WoW for example.

Anyways, shortly after getting bored of SC2, I was offered a free 50$ at Party poker. This was in about 6 months ago, but I took a break of a few months. I decided that I would play this 50$ more seriously and I did indeed! I started practicing ICM with the ICM trainer. I would play it for like 1hour every day. This incredibly increased my ROI. Thus, after about 500 games I ran my 50$ up to 150$ by playing the 3$ SNGs. I chose to play the 3$ (and practice improper BRM, but still better than before) instead of the 1$ SnGs because the rake on the 1$ was insanely high. However, at that point, my end of semester exams started; hence I had a lot less time. During my exams, I decided that once school was over I would write this blog (step 1) and then would deposit 600$ into FT and start playing the 6$ turbo SnGs. Once I took this decision I decided to take a shot at the 6$ SnGs at Partypoker with my 150$ BR. I knew this was bad BRM but I considered the 150$ as a freeroll basically (not saying im regretting this like the 1497124 posts in these forums of ppl blowing their BR because of bad BRM). I saw it as If I lose it all, oh well… Im starting with a fresh new BR in like 7 weeks anyways so why not play tryout the 6$ SnGs. It did not go so well, my BR dropped to 80$ and I lost another 20$ playing cash games. Playing poker during exams is very –EV because technically I was not even supposed to be playing (studying more would have been better).

After my exams, I went on a Euro trip with my girlfriend for 3weeks. This is why step 1 had to wait for so long hehe. Yeah so the trip was awesome I visited most of Belgium, Amsterdam (omg), London, Koln ( a city in Germany) and ended in Paris. And now here I am today in front my computer writing my blog that I have been waiting to write for so long. I have not deposited the 600$ yet because I have several steps of preparation to do first. I still have 60$ on Partypoker that I will be playing with in order to warm up before depositing on FT. Once I feel ready ( about 80 games I believe) I will withdraw it and spend it all on poker investments (software, books, etc..).

Graph of time spent on Party Poker

THE PREPERATION :s_cool:
      (This is the list of things that need to be done before I make my first deposit. Serious list is serious!!)

• [X] WRITE THIS BLOG
      • [(42/80)] Play atleast 80 3$ FR SNG Turbos at PP with my remaining BR (going to finish off the remaining games playing 2$ SnGs on FT with my deposit)
      • [X] Get HEM manager and set it up (Currently only tracking VPIP, Preflop raise, Agr Factor and Hands)
      • [X] Get the trial version of SNG wiz
      • [X] Talk my friends into reading my blog
      • [(4.5k/10K)] 10k Hands in ICM
      • [ ] Reread for a 3rd time: Sit and Go Strategy by Moshman (+take notes to help remember important aspects) (decided to focus on watching the silver videos instead)
      • [X] Reread Kill Everyone by Lee Nelson
      • [21/15] 15 Hands evaluated
      • [(2/10)] Learn how to use SNG wiz and go over 10 games with it (will be going over more games once deposit is done)
      • [ ] Buy and Read Elements of Poker or/and a book by David Sklansky (Decided to focus on watching silver videos instead)
      • [X] Change my CPU workstation to be more ergonomic (desk and possibly chair) (figured out something temporary)

THE PLAN

• 300 hands of ICM before each session
      • 2 hour sessions max (need to stay focused)
      • 2 Hands posted in evaluation thread per session
      • Review atleast 1 complete game per session with SNG wizard
      • Respect 100 BI BR management. Move down at 85 and take first shot at 105
      • Keep blog active
      • 60% play 40 % study

The Objective
      (To be completed before the start of school in september)

Initial BR: not deposited yet (going to be 600$ on FT)
      Objective

Other Objectives
      (To be done sometime in summer, the passive objectives will be marked as completed or not at end of each month)
      • [ ] teach my gf to be +EV in home game SnGs with my friends (I always pay her BI of 5$ when we play lol)
      • [ ] Learn stud
      • [ ] Get gold status
      • [X] Play a MTT live tournament with Buy in < 25$ (Finished 14th out of 40)
      • [ ] Play several 1-2$ MTT on FT and cash
      • [ ] DONT PLAY CASH GAMES
      • [ ] Do some form of cardio every day and weight train 3x a week to stay fit

I will be posting more specific objectives for the month of August and July once I have started playing on FT and know where I stand. I will also be posting some hands and exciting things about my personal life.

I made an oath that if I bust my 600$ deposit on FT for what ever reason I will never ever play poker again.
  • 23 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Good luck, following you.
    • mayapnd
      mayapnd
      Bronze
      That's quite a nice intro post!

GL with your SNG adventure sir, will be definitly checking out this blog!
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I forgot to mention that I saw a pokerstrategy.com strategy articles in this poker magazine I bought in Paris (Poker52). Thought it was pretty cool to see that pokerstrategy.com is getting pretty big!

So I finally got my hands on HEM. I have been toying around with it and watching some tutorials to understand it properly. I tried setting up a HuD but my screen got very cluttered and it distracted me a lot more then it helped so I took it off. I will try and get used to it eventually.

Anyways, so I was able to play only 2 sets of 4 games today. Things went very very well in the early/mid stage. I Cbetted everysingle hand that was checked to me on the flop when I was last to play and well it worked out very well. I havnt played poker for about a month and things just seemed so natural! I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I read moshman's book twice during my vacation and I also read Kill everyone for a second time. My mind is starting to register the information of the book and it is slowly becoming second nature. It seemed like in almost every hand I knew exactly what to do! I did get sucked out on a few times at the bubble causing me to be under EV a bit, but I dont really mind. The whole point of playing at PP is only to get ready for FT.

BR PP : 88$ (+8$)
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Hey

nice start. And also you read nice books. About Moshman, i read it 15 times, and when i was reaching 5$ on FTP (normal) one coach told me to put it in garbage :f_cry: , later i understand why :s_biggrin: . Going to keep eye on your blog.

GL
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VBZg
      Hey

nice start. And also you read nice books. About Moshman, i read it 15 times, and when i was reaching 5$ on FTP (normal) one coach told me to put it in garbage :f_cry: , later i understand why :s_biggrin: . Going to keep eye on your blog.

GL

=O, But moshman's book is ok for now right?
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Best of luck to you! Hold on tight for the bumpy ride of an SNG player :D
    • Camcitronelle
      Camcitronelle
      Bronze
      Nice project !
      May your studies help me play poker too !
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hi Charmander06!

My name is stevegold87 and I have a SNG blog here as well. I am from Montreal so I can assume we live pretty close.

I am very excited to see a follow quebecker starting to play SNGs since it is my "speciality". Your goals are pretty accurate if you want to improve.

Add me on skype if you want to discuss any hand maybe I can help you steve.gold87 or message me on those forums

I speak french as well. I was a fan of SC2 and WC3 too but never really got too much into WoW.(It sucks your life away!)

Take care!

P.S : Books are fine, but there's nothing better than the videos this website has to offer (Up 2 date..)
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      Hi Charmander06!

My name is stevegold87 and I have a SNG blog here as well. I am from Montreal so I can assume we live pretty close.

I am very excited to see a follow quebecker starting to play SNGs since it is my "speciality". Your goals are pretty accurate if you want to improve.

Add me on skype if you want to discuss any hand maybe I can help you steve.gold87 or message me on those forums

I speak french as well. I was a fan of SC2 and WC3 too but never really got too much into WoW.(It sucks your life away!)

Take care!

P.S : Books are fine, but there's nothing better than the videos this website has to offer (Up 2 date..)

sick! I added you on skype, maybe we could do some sweat sessions together (=
    • VBZg
      VBZg
      Gold
      Originally posted by CHARMANDER06
      Originally posted by VBZg
      Hey

GL

=O, But moshman's book is ok for now right?
      for start, but like stevegold87 told you, use this site as much as you can
      skypme me: vbzgskype
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Things have not been going so well since I have restarted. I have been busting on the bubble a lot in the past few games. So I restarted practicing with ICM trainer. Got a score of 94% for the first 2k hands =D.

I feel like I have been playing better early/mid stage game. Im more often above average chip stack then I was before during the mid stage. Im getting better at stealing. However, I just got HEM and this is the first time I see a graph with an EV line. It bothers me a bit that my EV line is negative. I know it only shows the all in EV, hence there is no way to know that my midgame is improving. I have busted like 7 times out of 20 on the bubble but I do not believe that my Push or Fold stage is as bad as my EV line indicates. I mean most of the time when I bust its in a situation like 77 vs AK and stuff like that where pushing was the only viable option (and the right option according to ICM trainer).

Anyways, Im going to put in some more volume then post a graph! Hopefully I will be able to have my preperation stage done before next week! =D

Current BR : 66 (-14)

EDIT: I almost forgot!! Im going to play a 25$ BI live MT SNG event tonight with my friends :s_biggrin: !! Should be around 30 people. Im pretty excited and cant wait to see how things will work out! :D
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Quick update!

Just came back from the Live MT SnG. Was eliminated 14th out of 40. The tourney was actually an add on tourny. 25$ for 20k chips and 10$ for 15k chips after the first hour. I was at almost 40k when it was time to get ad on and I didnt bring any more then 25$ cash, hence why I didnt take it. (even if it was a very good deal). I played pretty agressive and my Cbets paid off pretty well which allowed me to stay above average chip stack. Overall I felt that I played decently except one hand that I really messed up.

Blinds are 600/1200 im in sb with 42s with 50k

Everyone folds to me.

I raise the old guy with a cap to 4000 (that was playing very tight poker) thinking I would take down the pot about 80% of the time.

he thinks for a while and calls. Flop comes K58 rainbow. I cbet 6k. My plan was to Cbet knowing that he would fold if he didnt hit the flop and be done with the hand if he calls/raises. He takes his time and finally calls. Turn comes 8. we both check. river comes 3. I think for a very long time and finally decide to bet 15k because I felt him weak( very bad move, I started to feel pressure because it was taking a long time lol) he raises all in, I fold and he shows AK.

Yeah so dont fuck with an old guy thats wearing a baseball cap and stick to the plan

This was my first live torunament and man I respect live players so much more!! God its so much harder then online. Constantly keeping track of the pot is annoying and the pressure you feel from the other players when you take your time makes decision making a bit harder.
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Good luck dude. good reading here. When is the $600 deposit gonna happen. I'm keen for epicness.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Laggsy
      Good luck dude. good reading here. When is the $600 deposit gonna happen. I'm keen for epicness.
      Soon! Im thinking like on monday =D.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Added new objective for month of June

• [(6/20) ] Watch at least 1 silver video per day for a total of 20
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I'm going to play a real life MTT as well tonight for 30$ + 5$ bounty hehe.

It's a written general rule too : Old men are super tight so are women, but you can't say that for all of them but most.

SPECIALLY THE ONES WITH BASEBALL CAPS TUN TUN
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      I'm going to play a real life MTT as well tonight for 30$ + 5$ bounty hehe.

It's a written general rule too : Old men are super tight so are women, but you can't say that for all of them but most.

SPECIALLY THE ONES WITH BASEBALL CAPS TUN TUN
      Good luck!! Post how it goes in your blog so I can read it! =D
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Alright guys,

Im going to go and get myself a creditcard tomorrow. I feel ready to deposit and start the grind.
    • Laggsy
      Laggsy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CHARMANDER06
      Alright guys,

Im going to go and get myself a creditcard tomorrow. I feel ready to deposit and start the grind.
      Music to my ears!!! GLGL