Rush poker or ring games?

• darthdeus
      darthdeus
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I've been trying to start learning poker at little higher level than I was playing so far and possibly make a little money from that. So far I've played about 2000 hands, so I'm not very experienced, but I have one big question that keeps popping in my head.

I can't decide whether it's better for me to play rush poker, which allows me to just focus on my hand and play correctly, because I can't really analyse my opponents as they switch every single game. Or if I should start with standard ring games, where I have more time and opportunity to bluff etc.?

For me it looks like that rush poker offers me the ability to play a lot more hands, unless I want to multi-table on ring games of course.
  • 6 replies
    • gonetrolling
      gonetrolling
      Bronze
      Hey i have been playing the rush games, i usually play 2 tables and have been successful in making some money, that said, u have to find out which game you enjoy the most and stick with it. The 2 games play very differently and it takes twice as much practice if you want to be a winning player in both. Best of luck.
    • novelsound
      novelsound
      Bronze
      rush should be better
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      It's really dependent on what you prefer. You can be profitable with either one. You'll have plenty of time to develop your ability to read people later on if you choose to play Rush at this point, have no fear of that. In the meantime, you shall learn to play vs. standard villains, always a good thing.
    • bbosstjan
      bbosstjan
      Bronze
      Rush is great, however if you tend to get angry fast you just might lose your money fast.
      Tilt danger in Rush is bigger than in normal table games. You need to be very disciplined to earn money on rush.

Make a plan at least for your opening hands considering your position and stick to it. If you don't have one yet a BSS starting hand chart from PokerStrategy.com is a great place to start.

Just be sure not to spew money on your postflop game. If you don't hit, don't bluff like crazy. Most players when they call at least have a medium strong hand which can improve.

So tight is right on rush at least for the micros NL5 and NL10.
    • VTomukas
      VTomukas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darthdeus
      Hey guys,

I've been trying to start learning poker at little higher level than I was playing so far and possibly make a little money from that. So far I've played about 2000 hands, so I'm not very experienced, but I have one big question that keeps popping in my head.

I can't decide whether it's better for me to play rush poker, which allows me to just focus on my hand and play correctly, because I can't really analyse my opponents as they switch every single game. Or if I should start with standard ring games, where I have more time and opportunity to bluff etc.?

For me it looks like that rush poker offers me the ability to play a lot more hands, unless I want to multi-table on ring games of course.
      Rush is for grinding. Regular tables are for learning.

So it is You, who needs to decide, what is more important atm :)
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VTomukas

Rush is for grinding. Regular tables are for learning.
      +1

I've played 80k hands in rush poker and I have stats on something like 40k players. A lot of people come to play rush to win fast, lose several buy ins, get mad, lose several more then quit. I guess most of them do that from time to time. If you think you can exploit them and have enough discipline to avoid playing while steaming, then give it a try.

Now, if you ask me, I think 2k hands is clearly too soon for you to start playing rush poker on regular basis. I have played 20/25k hands in RG before I started and it took me several k hands to adjust and catch the dynamic of the game. Rush poker is (at least in micros) tougher than regular micros in my opinion. You have to make difficult decisions more often and, if you begin or have no hud, in more complex situations.

Last thing, rush poker is pretty addictive, so make sure you can play it the way it should before you get hooked. ;)