How shameful is it to lose against sets?

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      How often do you guys lose against sets, I usually lose 2-3 times on average in a 1000 hands session.

Do you ever/always see it coming? For example if the board is 548 and you hold AA, you bet and the opponent check-raises how would you react against a regular/loose semi-passive (I'm talking about 23/7 guys with 2+ af who are passive preflop and like to see many flops but become agressives postflop when needed)

Or the flop is QT4 and you hold AQ, do you always fold it against non-maniacs/superfishes when being raised?

Overall how shameful is for a MSS player to lose against sets?

For a sser it doesn't matter because you are not offering your opponent any implied odds. For a bsser it can be quite bad but they don't tend to play overpairs that agressively because of bigger stacks. A MSS stack is in the middle, theoretically my opponent can call a normal raise hoping he will hit a set, if he succeeds in taking my stack every time. I don't know how often they succeed but to me it seems like a lot of times :)
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      When the effective stack depth is under 50 BB, and you have a strong TPTK or overpair hand in a raised pot, it is normal to stack off. (Pairs are stronger the higher they are, so A7 on a flop of 742 is not as strong as AK on a flop of A98. Pairs are stronger when the board is not as coordinated.) You can sometimes fold an overpair to exploit an opponent who is very rarely aggressive who starts raising, but this is exploitive play which leaves you vulnerable to being pushed around.

When you stack off with a strong second-best hand, you usually should not worry (or be ashamed) about not finding a way to fold a strong hand. You should instead ask yourself if your line got the right amount of value from possible weaker hands, even if that is not what your opponent had this time. You should ask whether you protected your hand appropriately.

Set-mining is fun to many poker players, but is it profitable? It does not take much to make sure set-mining is not profitable on average against you. Don't stack off with AK unimproved. Don't stack off with JJ on an AK5 flop. Make a lot of continuation bets. If set-mining is a losing gamble against you, then the set-miners can get their fun while you get their money. It's ok to pay them off occasionally.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply pzhon!

Later I started playing BSS for the BSS school and I noticed how tough set mining gets paid off. Even when I hit I don't get much so it's probably not that profitable for my opponents. Anyway I'll switch to a 35bb buyin, for even more implied odds killing.