Chris Brown - Best Poker Player in the World

• breezy10101
      breezy10101
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm Chris Brown (no, not the famous one.. yet) a new player from England. I was watching some Athene videos (Chiren80) and looking for a new game to play because WoW was getting very frustrating for me. As he always does somehow, Chiren captured my imagination and I started learning the game on Facebook poker, a few days later I joined FriendlyPoker and heard about 2+2, from there I found PokerStrategy.com.

I've been playing for about a week now and i'm already addicted, it would seem...

I've read the basic articles and tried some $0.1 / 0.2 and I managed about a 1$ gain after one small session so things were looking very promising.

I played my second session this morning and ended up $1.50 down. So I took a break because I was tilting like.. the Titanic or something. Anyway it happened after I lost a $5 pot on a set of Aces to an A high flush, there were only 2 hearts on the table and he got the 5th on the river (there was also no straight available). I consider this a really bad beat!

The plan for the day now is to tighten up my game and go for a few good sessions on the lowest stakes. Once I get my bankroll back to $50 I'll move up again to $0.1/0.2. So far I have made $1 back on the lowest stakes, it was $1.80 but I had some fairly bad luck, probably brought about by not trusting in the starting hand guide */facepalm*. $1 to go and I can move back up, hopefully by tomoro :)

I would be interested to hear any advice on how i should approach my first week or two on real money poker. It's fixed limit so i think its more about improving my statistics then making money really..

Anyway, I'm playing on FullTilt under Ch3ckfold69 if anyone wants to play me ;P
  • 7 replies
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      If you tilt about a fd on the flop that completes on the river, you seriously need to work on your mindset first, about 1 in 3 times that will happen...

Also, and I know this is really difficult for most beginners, it was for me, don't be so result oriented on very short term poker. You should look at your bb/100 (big blinds won per 100 hands) after a significant sample (most say 50k). Then you will kind of have a more realistic number to whether you beat the game or not. And most importantly, keep working on your game! There are hand evaluation forums so you can post hands you're not sure of if you played them correctly or not.

Good luck becoming a good poker player!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Good luck with building up your Bankroll :) As NIVEKii said above, mindset is an important thing to work on. In my opinion mindset is the most important thing at the micro stakes :)
    • breezy10101
      breezy10101
      Bronze
      Yeah I realised that it shouldn't have thrown me but it did so I stopped about 5 hands later and took a break. Probably because it was the first decent pot I've seen and (sad as it may seem) the adrenaline was pumping a bit ^^

I'm always working on my game. I think the one concept I really haven't been able to get to grips with early on is my odds of winning.. I downloaded the PS equilab programme and spent some time going through the scenarios and your chance to win them.. I'm always way off but I think that is probably the element of poker that will take me the longest to get a grasp of.

Anyway thanks for the replys.. I will update the blog in future if anything significant happens :)
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      There are at least 2 aspects in dealing with poker psychology.

1. To not let bad beats get to you.

2. be able to recognize when bat beats do get to you, and then do what it takes to regain your A-game.

Tilting is very hard to completely avoid, so the next best thing is to be able to stand up before u spew a buy-in.

When playing micros on fulltilt, theres quite a bit of value in completing the academy challenges. Also some good play tips and exercises there.

Also play some freerolls. For a micros player they also have some real value. They are particularly good for practicing multitables, as the only cost to play is the time spent.

Probably you should consider switching to no limit. For the simple reason that most games are NL so its likely the best format to master.

Good luck at the tables and welcome to the forums
    • breezy10101
      breezy10101
      Bronze
      thx for the advice :)
      Just started reading Ace on the River and i think i'll take to the academy challenges later or tomoro then. :f_cool:
    • breezy10101
      breezy10101
      Bronze
      So I had a pretty awful session today. A couple of people got the better of me and I don't really like that.

... Anyway I was reading my facebook news feed and saw a status from a person I knew a long time ago who I never really liked. So I blocked and deleted them, now I feel a lot better!

It's as though my day has now evened out :)

I might make this a tradition in future and if I ever meet these specific players again, I will be better and I will play better. So I can still win in the long run. As for now... we're still even :)
    • breezy10101
      breezy10101
      Bronze
      So i've been playing cash games for exactly a week now..

Seen my bankroll slowly fall for the first 5 days or so.
      Start to pick up over day 6/7 and then plummet again because i entered like 4 SnG's an screwed them all up.

.. I said to myself I will only enter more when I have grinded my bankroll back up to $50.. made $6 today 2 tabling 0.1/0.2 FL, pretty sure im ready to move up tbh but still much more to learn anyway.

.. Bought into a SnG as i tipped over $50.. came 9th as I lost AKs to 33 but whatever..

Grinded back up and didn't make the same mistake again.. did the whole ICM trainer programm. And whala.. My first SnG win!

It was always odds against me, being in 3rd position with 3 left they just seemed to gang up on me, but with a combination of luck and slight judement i managed to get back into it, got to 2 left on a 2.5k to 10.5k defosit or something. Luck + judgement + turbo SnG and I came out with a win :D

.. Also thx to all the people that have helped me with my general play.. hand forums / coaching ect. Feeling good about my progress now :)
      .. Here it is!

.. atm > rub it on my tittiesss..