[NL20-NL50] NL25FR 3betted AQs 3ways

• Evante
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, A.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.58, MP2 calls $0.58, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.75, 3 folds, MP2 calls $2.17.

Flop: ($6.43) 5, 3, J (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $3.75, MP2 raises to $8.00, Hero calls $4.25.

Turn: ($22.43) 7 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $19.31, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $22.43.

MP2 is ?reg? 13/8/0.9
      I didnt want to shove because i think he is not going to fold anyways thus me FE is no where to be found as I have a loose image..... I put him on overpairs and maybe sets.
      Any other ways that i can improve?
  • 5 replies
    • pokerhughes
      i dont mind the way you played it here, on the flop you have to call $4.25 into a $17.83 pot which gives you 4.1/1 pot odds so correct odds to call for the flush. then he pot shoves turn and your odds here are 3 to 1 roughly so its a fold.

Your correct in not wanting to shove as your behind to anything but a bluff, or KJ.
      KJ possible combinations is 12. possible set combinations is 9 (3 combinations for each PP) i think its more likely that he has a set in this situation so...

KJ your 55% to win
      set your 26% to win

so lets say 30% of the time your against KJ youll win $50, 55% of the time your EV=$27.5

and 65% of the time your against a set youll win $50 26% of the time, your EV=$13

5% of the time your against a bluff youll win $50 70% of the time your EV=$35

overall your EV=$18.45 if you were to shove using the ranges ive given.

so thats a breakdown of why you played it correctly, (in my opinion).
    • Evante

I been playing poker for quite awhile and i havent been using EV calculation part as my game.

Well, I usually use reads and tells, I dont know but maybe this is the old school ways and I should embrace the new?
    • pokerhughes
      Its whatever you feel comfortable with and what you get results with. I use a mixture of both, i hand read and decide what range of hands i think the villian has then i decide how likely each of his holdings are, then i decide if im ahead of his range or behind and if i am behind how likely am i to improve. but in that how much is it going to cost me to see if i improve compared with how much im going to win. if im ahead what hands are going to pay off a big bet, a pot bet etc. you can turn this on its head and say, if i think hes got a flush draw what do i have to bet to make it not profitable for him to call, i.e make the villian make the mistake.
    • Kaitz20
      Don´t think MP2 is bluffing that spot, but imo you can´t really get away your nut fd+ overcards, since for example KJ you have 55% equity and generally it is around 45-50%
      So just top get all-in on the flop and hope you hit, or sometimes you may also get all-in smt like Ts9s that you´re crushing
    • pokerhughes
      i dont think he calls a 3bet with KJ OOP, i think hes more likely to call with the PP or AJ, and your behind slightly against AJ. the only way this is profitable is if hes got AJ or KJ and you shove on the flop as you have fold equity. and i dont think he has AJ or KJ enough times in that situation, imo.