Advanced SSS

• Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Just reinforcing some plays to improve my SSS play.

1. When you double up, play until the blinds come around but only play AA, KK and call for set value. How many limpers and how high pairs?

2. Complete in SB with how high suited connectors and how many limpers?

Gonna leave Ax suited and steals/resteals until I get these established.

Is there anything else that I can add down the track?
  • 7 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      title rocks ;)

1) Article (BSS bronze http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/270/5/#h1_2):

What does the entry "call 20" mean?
      Basically, you are playing small pairs for the reason to hit a set on the flop. This happens just in 12% of all cases, but you have a strong hand when you hit it and your opponents will pay you off many times. This is important, since you have to compensate all the small losses where you have invested money without hitting a set.

Your doubled up stack is around 40BB, so now you can apply some of BSS concepts based on implied odds.

With PP your goal is to hit a set and stack the opponent.
      With any PP you will hit a set in 12% of the time -> 1 : 7.3 (also implied pot odds we need to play PP), but since we will be outdrawn sometimes or opponents wouldn`t pay off our set, we demand higher implied odds - 20:1.

The following rule applies: You can call with small pairs when you and your opponent have at least 20 times the amount of the raise left in your stack. That is what "call 20" means.

Recently it was call "15" rule, now I found it to be call "20", at least in the bronze section. For you this means that with any lower PP you can limp or call a 2BB minraise when your stack (and the raiser's stack) is bigger then 40BB (2BBx20=40BB;) . I wouldn`t do it from early positions, because after a re-raise you will have to fold.
      Limpers are welcome)

2) Suited Connectors
      10.10% OESD+
      10.13% FD+
      1.65% OESD+ & FD+
      3.49% TwoPair+
      --------------------
      25.38% -> 2.9 : 1

2.9 : 1 means you can complete even without limpers. But playing OESD and FD requires some postflop skills. You will fold a lot of your draws, since you have to play it passively (check/call or fold by odds). For this reason I would add 2-3 limpers. Pot odds now are 6.9-8.9 : 1 and against 3-4 opponents chances to get paid are obviously higher.

I also recommend you studying some of the bronze articles (Odds, Pot odds, implied Odds).
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Thanks Xylere,

That should keep me busy for a while ;)

I have read the bronze articles but will go over again and make notes.

Just checking - suited connectors must be consecutive right? ie 10J not 10Q

Can you play any suited connectors or should I limit it to 78 and above?
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Also with the limping is that only from SB or can it be from late position and the BB as well?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      you are welcome)

Just checking - suited connectors must be consecutive right? ie 10J not 10Q

yep, QTs is called suited one-gaper

Can you play any suited connectors or should I limit it to 78 and above?

Technically any suited, since you fold top pair anyway (because of the low kicker). Just make sure you know how to handle draws oop -> post some hands when it happens.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Watto77
      Also with the limping is that only from SB or can it be from late position and the BB as well?
      Read this article on limping from the late:
      SSS essay week #52 "Late position"

you can limp pockets with 2+ limpers
      and broadway suited with 3+ (JTs, QJs)
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      Ok so I read the article (actually re-read it cause I have read it before). Are these plays intended for only when we have approx. 40BB or can we attempt them when we have more like our starter at 25 BB?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Watto77
      Ok so I read the article (actually re-read it cause I have read it before). Are these plays intended for only when we have approx. 40BB or can we attempt them when we have more like our starter at 25 BB?
      well, to answer this question you have to go back to the implied odds article.
      For instance, when we are talking about PP we should use "call 20 rule". Your stack is 20BB, so we divide it by 20 = 1BB <- the amount we can call (limp) for set value.

The article assumes standard SSS stack