curnow
      Bronze
      very well played , nice cash
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      Originally posted by curnow
      very well played , nice cash
      Thanks, this is my biggest cash yet. The previous big one (over $1k is what I personally consider 'big' ... for now) was an $8k gntd bounty tournament on Cake for about ~$1k with the bounties.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey, nice start)) congrats

do you play MTT only?
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      I love MTTs, but I'm never happy with my game so I try to grind out as much hands as possible on cash just to get in a million different situations and then I convert and adapt them (and comment) to what I would do if this was a tournament.

I don't enjoy cash as much but its easier to grind out bonuses when you 8 table. Cash and sng's are the only thing which you can play robotically, hence the multitabling. There's just always a 'best' decision and usually reads dont really matter as much as they would in a MTT. Thats why I only play 2 or max. 3 MTTs simultaneously and make sure to watch everyone on my table all the way from the lowest blinds up to the final table.

Hope this makes sense. This is what works for me and so far its been working OK :)

oh yeah, another reason I don't like cash as much is because I get tired and play sub-optimally very fast. I don't tilt as much, but at some point 8 blinking screens gets overwhelming. Another reason I hate cash is because of Omaha ... it's like the abusive alcoholic step-father you just can't seem to let go of.
    • MontyMonty
      MontyMonty
      Bronze
      Nice cash congratz, just wanted to know what your bankroll management is like for MTT's and how u can be playing an $11 buy in after a week of getting ur initial $50 from PS. Do you do the conventional 100 BI or lower?
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MontyMonty
      Nice cash congratz, just wanted to know what your bankroll management is like for MTT's and how u can be playing an $11 buy in after a week of getting ur initial $50 from PS. Do you do the conventional 100 BI or lower?
      Actually I had $10 added to my account from Mansion along with the PS $50. From there I gave the SSS a try and run it up to about $100 in no time. From there I signed up for a $1 all-in type of tournament (ultra turbo blind structure, very low stacks) out of boredom and won another $233. I played some BSS on NL10 (not my usual game, I play NL25/50/100, NL10 seems like a waste of time) and then deposited for the Mansion first time deposit bonus on the 31st.

I was sitting on about $600 before I tilted off $300 on Omaha (simultaneously losing my $300 deposit on Full Tilt as mansion was down during that time). I was so occupied with Omaha I didn't really pay attention to the tournament at all, even forgetting to add on during the first break. I don't really remember the first 2 hours of the tournament, but when I got tired of stacking off in Omaha I decided to concentrate on the tournament ...

As for the buyins, I have no BRM skills whatsoever, never have and probably never will build up the discipline required for that + I can afford to lose my roll because I have enough 'offline', so to speak.

100 buyins seems insane to me, if I want to play a $30 tournament I need $3k? I've never had even the slightest concept of BRM. I used my own money to start playing and have been moving around about $500-$1000 from site to site in order to clear bonuses. I usually use the bonus money to play tournaments (lower buyin, $5, $10) and ... sometimes cash :) Everything else gets cashed out for either live poker or buying neat stuff :) .

Basically I'm just a degen who sustains his playing and spending habits by taking full advantage of upswings, tournament cashes, gambling (which is just as fun as it is a bad idea!) and 'investing', so to speak ;)

Again, I really can't help you with the buy-ins question. 100 buy-ins is what I've heard and read online and off, but I believe that if you can sustain a good ROI on the lower buy-in tournaments, you most likely won't need that much.

I play with what I feel comfortable spending in a sitting and always have an offline backup should I run extremely bad in either cash games or a series of no-cashes in larger tournaments. You probably won't be seeing me in $100 buyin tournaments any time soon though, as I'm still not feeling completely comfortable with that level. I'm totally OK with grinding out the smaller buyin tournaments while I'm learning.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      100 buy-ins is what I've heard and read online and off, but I believe that if you can sustain a good ROI on the lower buy-in tournaments, you most likely won't need that much.

Heh, speaking about ROI, I think you need at least 5k sample to start considering it)
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      100 buy-ins is what I've heard and read online and off, but I believe that if you can sustain a good ROI on the lower buy-in tournaments, you most likely won't need that much.

Heh, speaking about ROI, I think you need at least 5k sample to start considering it)
      I might have that much, but I think that's a really high number. I just go by the numbers available for me, which are how much I've invested and how much I've won. So far it's a pretty positive number, so I must be doing something right, even though I have no BRM ;)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Congratulations h8core! Well done!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Congratulations h8core! Well done!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      Thanks and thanks PS for getting me into Mansion.
    • Blashyrkh
      Blashyrkh
      Bronze
      I think the strict Bankroll Managment considerations are aimed at people who cant reload(emotional or financial reasons) out of their own pockets. If someone is comfortable with reloading, i see no problem loosening them up a bit.

Personally i adhere strict BR managment in Cash Games and STTs, but MTTs are a different thing.
      As i dont mainly play them i sometimes just buy in beyond the 100BI Rule because i see it as very good Entertainment and write the BI off as spent money not as Loss.
    • h8core
      h8core
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Blashyrkh
      I think the strict Bankroll Managment considerations are aimed at people who cant reload(emotional or financial reasons) out of their own pockets. If someone is comfortable with reloading, i see no problem loosening them up a bit.

Personally i adhere strict BR managment in Cash Games and STTs, but MTTs are a different thing.
      As i dont mainly play them i sometimes just buy in beyond the 100BI Rule because i see it as very good Entertainment and write the BI off as spent money not as Loss.
      I have no problem reloading coz I have an offline bankroll as well. So its no big deal for me and lately I've been playing online only for the MTTs.

Thats a good point you made about the entertainment and not viewing it as a loss, etc. MTTs' are cool for chilling and because they're usually time-consuming, can be a nice past time if you're not really looking to grind it out in cash or SNGs but still want to play some poker and have a shot at a good payout ;)