[NL20-NL50] NL25 SH Q9 4bet bluff

• purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      villain 18/16/1.7 3bet 19.2, af on river is 0.5
      he 3bets so much i thought i could make him fold by bluff 4betting. he flatcalls me oop.
      flop: easy value bet
      turn: i was going for pot control. i have excellent SD value. besides, what else is he calling me with on the flop? its super duper dry
      river: plan was to check behind, but i cant call a shove here, can i?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($36.58)
      BB ($5.95)
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($21.90)
      CO ($20.15)
      Hero ($30.97)

Dealt to Hero 9:spade: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.65, SB raises to $2.20, fold, Hero raises to $5.50, SB calls $3.30

FLOP ($11.25) 3:heart: Q:spade: 7:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $6, SB calls $6

TURN ($23.25) 3:heart: Q:spade: 7:diamond: 7:club:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($23.25) 3:heart: Q:spade: 7:diamond: 7:club: T:diamond:

SB bets $23.25, Hero folds

SB wins $22.09
  • 5 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      That whole hand screams at me that he has QQ or TT. TT-QQ quite a lot of the time don't like to get it in preflop, even if it is BvB, so they're basically calling because they can't let go of a good hand and don't want to shove it.

Your flop bet is very small so he could have peeled one off with TT, or since the flop is so dry he could've thought slowplaying is a viable option. When you check back the turn the river looks like he's desperate for value, so I think it's an easy fold.

If I was to put him on a single hand I would say QQ :)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hehe really wriggers? the hand screams? i didnt know they cld make sounds. :D

but seriously, QQ is really narrow. ive also got a queen, rmembr? i guess TT is possible, and also 7x willing to peel one on flop with middle pair. or maybe pure air? i guess i basically needed to decide whether that big bet was for value coz it seems bluffy too. or maybe thats what he wanted me to think... hmm overlevelling myself ? in any case, folding isnt the worst thing i guess. thanks for sharing.

smiles,
      wendy
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      flop: easy value bet
      Against what range? What is his range for calling your 4bet? What is your equity if he calls your cBet after you give him a calling range?

Isn't better to vBet the Turn then?

turn: i was going for pot control. i have excellent SD value. besides, what else is he calling me with on the flop? its super duper dry
      Are you going to call a riverbet? Once again what is his range. For me you are WA/WB and this Flopaction you create means you are more WB than WA so I logically wise one doesn't have SD value then

Side-note, I dont see a problem with calling this 3bet and call any flop cbet unless you think on a specific X,Y,Z board you can take it down by raising.
      high frequency 3bet -> wide 3bet range -> probably cBets close to 95% -> wide cBet range -> misses often than hits + combine that with 18/16 makes me think he is just another barrel-once-and-done-clown.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hehe really wriggers? the hand screams? i didnt know they cld make sounds. :D

but seriously, QQ is really narrow. ive also got a queen, rmembr? i guess TT is possible, and also 7x willing to peel one on flop with middle pair. or maybe pure air? i guess i basically needed to decide whether that big bet was for value coz it seems bluffy too. or maybe thats what he wanted me to think... hmm overlevelling myself ? in any case, folding isnt the worst thing i guess. thanks for sharing.

smiles,
      wendy
      You're right, QQ is really narrow but don't forget we are narrowing his range down a LOT when we 4bet preflop and he flat calls. He doesn't do that with 7x, especially not an 18/16 player. In my opinion he does that with TT-QQ, and MAYBE AK/AQ. A slowplayed QQ getting desperate for value on the river makes sense, but as you pointed out, QQ is made a lot less likely due to us having a Q. TT that peeled on the flop and hit the river makes sense. I don't think you can call there tbh, you're ahead of 2 hands in his range, AK and JJ. And the low agg fac. on the river points me towards the value end of his range rather than his river bluff shove end of his range :D
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      4-betting ip should be fine, if you think he is 3-betting a little too much
      But you have to stack off postflop, so if you want to check back turn and call any river bet then it is fine, but I´d likely b/c there smt like 5$ and then consider taking my free showdown or maybe going again thin value on the river