Downswing or downright bad play?

• 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you think that you may have misplayed a hand, post it in the appropriate hand evaluation forum.

Your graph looks up-and-down. Your sample size is so small that this is probably normal.

If you're break-even, at least you aren't losing :)

After each session, use PokerTracker to examine your best 5 and worst 5 hands.
      Did you play them according to the Starting Hands Chart?
      Does your pre- & post-flop play fit with the principles taught here?

If you are winning when you played incorrectly, but just got lucky -- beware! You may be teaching yourself bad habits.
      If you are losing when you played correctly shrug it off.
      If you lost cuz you played badly, suck it up, smack your forehead, and vow never ever to do that again.

If you're unsure, see the opening statement.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Preflop I play a little differently, based on opponents. I steal blinds with a lot more hands against opponents who fold extremely large amounts of the time to a steal, against a very rare opponent I even steal with any two.

Certain opponents I also steal reraise with, for example ive played against opponents who have a 95% fold to 3bet stat, or a slightly lower % but a high fold to flop cbet %, over a period of a few hundred hands played against them. That makes it profitable to 3bet their steal with almost any two cards when playing from the BB. In all other cases I basically follow the starting hands chart and my preflop game feels reasonably solid (I feel im outplaying the competition at this level anyway :P )

I will admit my postflop play needs a lot of work though, I guess il continue working on that for now, since most of the mistakes I personally notice happen post flop, like completely missing an opponents range (feels hard to range people at this level, some 2nl players seem to play literally any two).
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Presuming the light brown line is your EV, based on your comment it's a case of stacking off too light or overplaying in most spots post flop, as suggested post hands and have them evaluated. Don't get creative at 2NL, look for optimal spots to stack off as opposed to barrel 2-3 streets expecting folds, also I think you're getting too FPS pre flop, keep it in your arsenal but don't overuse 3betting light, as mentioned you haven't played enough hands to have sufficient information on your opponents regarding 3bet %'s, carry on with stealing in position.

-Steal often.

-3bet less.

-cbet a ton.

-vbet where appropriate.

-Look at spots where you stacked off light and make a mental note.

-Pot control is super important.

EDIT-- Is this 6max or fullring?

EDIT2-- Apologies, missed your VPIP PFR, 14-11 / 13-11 is good for FR and as mentioned there is too big a gap regarding your vpip/pfr, you can play optimally from EP but I think you should add an extra couple % to your stealing range in LP/MP (but again, don't over do it).
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      First thing that pops into my mind...there is too big of a gap between VPIP and PFR. It should be more like 13/10, even 13/11. That means you limp/cold call too much instead of raising.

If it is FR, 13/10 would be OK, but if you play 6 max that's little too tight probably. ;)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      i think 5k hands is still too few to say :)
      what game do you play? im no expert but 13/6 doesnt sound standard to me.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Yeah that was in full ring play, ive tried small amounts of 6max but got quite owned so gave that up for now. Yeah didnt consider the gap between VPIP and PFR, so il work on that, didnt notice how much I was cold calling rather than raising to steal or for value. Cheers guys!
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      The biggest mistake is to try and fix all your leaks at once, close the gap regarding your stats, then focus on decent flops to cbet, then identify spots to bet for protection, try and build up your arsenal bit by bit, the reason why FR is such a decent learning curve is that you have plenty of time to identify and fill in leaks, if you post more stats we can try and help you fill in some gaps.