Tilting :(

• Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Hello! ?(

Recently I have been on downswing for like 20k hands now, I play NL10 SH, and its rly bad -15bb/100 and its like 90% of hands its standard set vs set on flop or my set on flop vs KK,AA and ofc A or K comes on turn,river, and of course standard KK vs AA, and QQ vs AK, I would love to know whats your worst swing in SH game on same or highest volume of hands, maybe there is some standard -bb swing numbers etc. I am just starting to tilt a bit because after 5BI of lose I would need to drop down to limits and I rly dont want to do this, but what else I can do if this will not stop :)

Will probably watch some videos now and start my session again after. :s_confused:
  • 20 replies
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      dont be a child and stop tilt...
      Downswings is poker players best friends - mostly you improve exactly in downswings, so start thinking. If you get coolered, and you wont do anything else in that spot after good thinking about that, who cares you lose - thats poker. try to burn 100$ bill. thats the thing you are doing on tables all the time when tilting ;)
      My biggest downswing was 30BIs in 20k hands I guess :)
      GL at tables :)
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      If you are tilting on downswing in longrun, take a few days off, clear your head, it really helps and Im sure most pros will agree with this.
      And I must quote sufix here: dont be a child and stop tilt :)
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      trying my best there thx for suggestions :) :f_love:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Top answer from sufix, we learn most when the going is tough. If it was all easy we wouldn't learn much would we? NOt very comforting maybe, but entirely true and the fish will be waiting for you when you get your mojo back. :)
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mopenza
      Hello! ?(

Recently I have been on downswing for like 20k hands now, I play NL10 SH, and its rly bad -15bb/100 and its like 90% of hands its standard set vs set on flop or my set on flop vs KK,AA and ofc A or K comes on turn,river, and of course standard KK vs AA, and QQ vs AK, I would love to know whats your worst swing in SH game on same or highest volume of hands, maybe there is some standard -bb swing numbers etc. I am just starting to tilt a bit because after 5BI of lose I would need to drop down to limits and I rly dont want to do this, but what else I can do if this will not stop :)

Will probably watch some videos now and start my session again after. :s_confused:
      You're too fixated to the big pots. A huge part of your profit comes from winning smaller pots. Review your hands and post them.

I've moved down a limit myself and never regret doing it. It was future +ev.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Originally posted by ragney
      Hello! ?(

You're too fixated to the big pots. A huge part of your profit comes from winning smaller pots. Review your hands and post them.

I've moved down a limit myself and never regret doing it. It was future +ev.
      I am not fixated to big pots lol :) if going broke with AA preflop and set on flop is bad idea then probably I am a noobes poker player ever :) and my small pots profit is fine :) I mean I know I am on downswing, not on my C game or whatever.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      I was in a similar situation as u on NL25 and thought it was a downswing untill I moved down and realize my play was wrong.Just wanted to know what I experienced. A 20k sample isn't that small.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      np man. thx for sharing btw what limit do u play now? and how its going? best regards.

nwm just read your blog :) GL
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hi Mopenza,

The best way I see this is :

Did you get the money with the best hand preflop/on the flop when you got your money in?

If yes, there's no reason to tilt. You did your work as a poker player, which is to put your money when you are ahead.

Try to think that way and remember that in the long term you will win most of the times the hands you mentionned. Volume is the key in poker.

Take care
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Originally posted by stevegold87

Did you get the money with the best hand preflop/on the flop when you got your money in?

Ofc :) problem is I have played rly much of hands because I started my way from NL2 and now I play at NL10 so I have played some time and seen some swing just not so much like this one :) I know I did all right but just thing moving down to NL5 scares me, but whatever I took some time from poker now will be playing only Monday now with fresh start now. thx for suggestions.

btw. starting to think to get a blog rolling, but not sure yet will decide it till Monday :)
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      How many tables do you play and what BRM do you use?
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      I think tilt hurts a lot more if you're a MTT player. I used to play a lot of cash games and when i felt myself tilting i just closed all the tables and quit until i felt better. When i switched to MTTs and take a really bad beat at a crucial time, closing the rest of the tournaments is not really an option.

I remember having a great session when i was a few hours deep into a few tournaments and grinded out 100BB in each. I got it all in pre flop with KK vs TT and the guy sucked out. Just before the money for a huge pot. Obviously felt pretty tilted at that point and managed to donate 100BB and crash out of a second tournament 2 minutes later.

Basically the best advice for a cash player is just to stop playing when you feel tilted. Volume is key to iron out the variance but don't put in that volume without the right mindset.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Originally posted by ragney
      How many tables do you play and what BRM do you use?
      hello again I usually play 8 tables but sometimes up to 12(its at rush hours when there are rly much fishes)

and I use standard 25BI roll atlast till micros is over for low stakes, my BR should be at 35 then I will move up there.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Originally posted by Andyuk18
      I think tilt hurts a lot more if you're a MTT player. I used to play a lot of cash games and when i felt myself tilting i just closed all the tables and quit until i felt better. When i switched to MTTs and take a really bad beat at a crucial time, closing the rest of the tournaments is not really an option.

I remember having a great session when i was a few hours deep into a few tournaments and grinded out 100BB in each. I got it all in pre flop with KK vs TT and the guy sucked out. Just before the money for a huge pot. Obviously felt pretty tilted at that point and managed to donate 100BB and crash out of a second tournament 2 minutes later.

Basically the best advice for a cash player is just to stop playing when you feel tilted. Volume is key to iron out the variance but don't put in that volume without the right mindset.
      I know what u are saying about MTT at my poker career begging I used to play SNG and I was like WTF how can it be... I am playing MTT myself now from time to time, when I know that I got time to finish it if I will get deep, and ofc all MTT I played till now, I usually got busted with so called "suckouts" I mean I am not counting coinflips when its like 60/40 and u cant do noting more cose its push or fold phase. the thing is I am not rly tilting in that spot cose I know what variance mean and this is not a one of theres posts when ppl complain about rigged online poker, just want to know what is the worst swing in the cash game ppl had and how they fell then.

Usually I dont fell tilted I just keep paying and I think my mindset is rly OK, but when u are losing like 10 sessions in a row u just cant start to think is it me or is it still my worst enemy variance, anyway thx for posting there and sharing your minds. GL
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Hello! ?(

I think you maybe didn't quite understand the advice that was given about not caring too much about the big pots. Not much you can do with sets over set and AA,KK, (QQ). They're just variance hands. I would advice you to move down a limit and focus on your game a while.. it will save you a ton of trouble. The moment you become scared if you lose more BI's and have to move down a limit, you start playing with scared money wether you know it or not. That is huge -ev. Also it will ease up the tilt-effect.

Key question: Where/how do you make your money in poker?
    • Gunn56
      Gunn56
      Bronze
      Just keep playing solids poker. Before you know it you will be raking in the cash just keep grinding é WE keep going to work after bad days so keep playing poker after a few bad days ...
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      what the fack is up with these sick bumps,seriously,16th of june,really man,like,REALLY?
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      what the fack is up with these sick bumps,seriously,16th of june,really man,like,REALLY?
      Op could by now become poker prodigy or go broke and working in a coal mine
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      he he lol yea I was on till back then, but now I am fine rolling NL 10 like a shark some BI away from NL 25 :)