[NL2-NL10] i just get so confused with connectors ???

• desikuri
      hi coach

wot i wana know is wot this right to call on flop getting 3 to 1..

had openended st8 draw so i use rule of 4 n 2 which give abt 24%
      to make my draw 6 outs am i right here ???

- $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $5.74
      BTN: $7.63
      SB: $4.66
      Hero (BB): $12.47
      UTG: $5.02
      MP: $5.00

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 9:heart: 8:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.20, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.42, 2 players) 7:heart: A:heart: T:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.82, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.82, 2 players) 3:spade:
      Hero bets $0.75, fold

Hero wins $0.78
  • 2 replies
    • Gerv

You really have to stop playing these crappy hands out of position as they really play trashy. You are OOP, no iniative with a hand that cannot flop well (no flushes no solid toppairs)

On the flop I would check/call as well just for the sake that he cBets 100%. The river I would bet as well as played

Best regards,
    • Elroch
      Wise man once said, a poker player cannot live by straight draws alone. If it was 98s, it would be a more plausible call (but not as good with medium stack).

As an outrageous suggestion, how about donking the flop? The idea is if villain hasn't an ace, what's he going to do? If he has an ace and calls, you will get a lot of his money if you hit the straight. If he has a good ace or better and raises, well, it happens.

A more professional looking alternative is to check-raise the flop with a normal sized raise. Same idea really, but more expensive, showing a lack of respect for the continuation bet that villain may play without much. In this precise hand, my guess is he would say "it's a fair cop" and give you the pot on the flop. A point in favour of this is that it would make you more money here. In fact exactly what you made in the hand as played, but with the advantage that you don't give two free cards to the villain, who could be on a flush draw, have a T, etc.

As for pot odds, I think you're using the wrong calculation. When it is possible there will be more betting on the turn, you only get one card for your money. This means the rule of 2 is appropriate, and that your call is too expensive. Worked out very nicely though, as your opponent had nothing and didn't dare bluff the turn. Oh, and you have 8 outs unless villain has a flush draw (then it is 6 for the straight, but maybe 4 more weak outs (a non-heart 9 or 8) if he has no pair.