callin OOP vs. 3 betting OOP

• Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      so i was wondering what the best route is when playing 6 max and 6 max turbos, with hands like middle pokctes pairs 7-10s and your AQ quite hands, does 3 betting give yu the intitive or does it just inflate the pot, what are your thoughts guys?
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I think many SNG players 3-bet far too tightly in early levels. Instead, they flat-call and play pots out of position, giving too much credit to players with wide stealing ranges. Then they don't steal enough themselves.

Whether to 3-bet or not with a hand like AQo from the blind depends on the positions and the tendencies of the raiser. Usually don't 3-bet against a raise from early position (9-handed). It can be right to 3-bet with AQo against some players UTG 6-handed, but not against some players with nitty opening ranges. If someone is stealing from the button with a wide range, it is hard to do better by flat-calling than by 3-betting.

Some players worry about getting blown off the hand by a 4-bet. This should not be a big concern when the vast majority of the time, your opponent will fold or will flat-call your 3-bet, and few players are 4-betting with weak hands anyway.
    • chrupens
      chrupens
      Bronze
      Yes.. I really dislike 3betting hands like AQo, 99 after MP raiser (even if I know he's not a nit) because I'm afraid that I will have to invest 1/4 - 1/3 of my stack and fold to 3bet and If I get called I will have to make a commiting cbet.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      ahh okay so yu would learn towards the 3 bet then with those type of hand if your playin in a heads up pot, obviously its completely different in a mutiway pot