Further Evidence of Why BRM is Important

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      "Poker players often think they are better than they really are."

I have often read this quote, or a variation of it, in many poker books. Even though I do not think of myself as very good, even little flashes of too much self confidence can be disastrous to your roll.

I have been having LOTS of success recently playing FL 7card stud hi. During this success, I table selected carefully and played more or less within my BRM (FL is a little different as far as that goes). I quit when I doubled etc etc.

I increased my roll quite a bit this way over the last week or so.

Last night, I got overconfident. Long story short...

I went up to a limit I was NOT meant to play because there was no other game going on at the limit I wanted. Instead of walking away, I joined the game, played poorly because I was overconfident, caught a couple of tough hands and got creamed, losing almost everything I had built up over the last week.

It wasn't the site, or the opponents, or the RNG, or variance, or bad luck.

It was totally my fault. In my opinion, I lost all that cash even before I played my first hand at a table I should have never been at in the first place.

Then again, that is what makes a fish, a fish.
  • 2 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hi Hackbinder,

You are right about that first quote. I myself tend to think that I am much better than I am actually, and that makes me review less and stuff, pretty bad hhehe.

We all have our stories where we took shots at higher limits in our lifes when we shouldn't have, sometimes we just gotta learn it the hard way :D . Tell yourself it's better to have lost that money too, because if you won maybe you wouldn't have realized how bad playing over limit was!

A fish wouldn't learn from their mistakes :P

Take care
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Good cautionary tale. Main thing is that you're aware of it I guess.

Worth remembering that whilst over-confidence is obviously bad, as in any sport, being confident is good for your game.