Hello PS folks!

• n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      So I thought as I have pretty much destroyed my starting capital without winning anything much now would be a good time to say "hi" and see how others have been getting on...

I have been playing for a while on PKR and signed up to PartyPoker to get the $50 dollar from PS. I pretty much suck but find the game amazingly interesting and am studying many books etc.

So how does everyone else rate themselves and has anyone here made major bankroll from the capital without depositing?

Good luck!
  • 12 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey n00jbr,

Im sorry to hear you busted the starting capital but dont fret all is not lost. Its great to see you are still interested in the game and are eager to improve you are definately in the right place here.

You should check out the blogs section of the forum some really great inspirational stories there of how far $50 can take you i believe one of our more well known community members TwiceT started with just the starting capital and well just read This link to see the kind of lifestyle he is living now :f_biggrin: There are lots more great stories there in that section too but il let you discover some yourself here is the link to all the blogs:

Your Poker Blogs

As regards to improving your game check out all our strategy articles for whatever game type you play, go to our video section too and of course there are free live coachings running so check out the timetable for those

Most of all get to know the people in the community i believe talking with like minded people is one of the best ways to improve your game.

Good luck with everything let us know how it goes,
      Carl
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      My main problem is tilt. I am such a big angry donkey, lol.
      I am currently reading "Zen and the Art of Poker" and listening to the audio from "The Eight Step Path to Poker Enlightenment" (which is a great series from Deuces Cracked: [edited by Thazar] )
      Both of these aim to create a level of zen-like tiltlessness, or at least tilting less...
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi n00jbr

I edited your last post for the link to another affiliate which is against our against our terms.

Regarding Tilt, i have watch the video series and it is great. I don't know about the book. For reading I can advice you The Mental game of Poker, The Poker Mindset and Peak Performance Poker.

Jared Tendler, the author or The Mental Game of Poker also has a Q&A thread in this forum where he answers loads of questions regarding tilt and mindset in general.

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

TT's Blog as mentioned above by ExternalUseOnly is also a great read and has a lot of mindset tips and insights

Best Regards

Thazar
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      Sorry, didn't realise external linking of that nature was against the rules... guess I really should read those things before clicking the "agree" tick box!

I will check out the material you suggested. I find that dealing with my "tilt" is helping me a great deal and not just when it comes to poker. I guess poker brings out your true personality and makes you realise you need to better yourself in so many ways to win, both at poker and in life itself...

That's some deep shiz for a Monday afternoon, peace out...
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      So I wen't broke last night.

I had the last of my starting capital resting on a tournament. I was doing ok, had a larger than average stack and had a pretty good read on my current table.

I woke up with pocket 9s and a short stack had called all in in front of me. I made the easy call and a bigger stack than mine called aswell. Flop comes down A 9 J rainbow; dream flop!

I check my set figuring slow play is the way and that maybe the bigger stack will want to just check it down to bust the short stack but he shoves meaning I have to put all my chips in to call.
      I think for a minute; I figure he is on a high Ace as he plays tight and the short stack must have an Ace too or he wouldn't have shoved pre-flop.

I call and see the bigger stack has A Jo for two pair and the short stack has A Qo for a pair. I sit back with a massive grin and wait for the chips to come my way.

Next card is another Jack. My trip nines become a hate-filled full house that topples to the better house of the bigger stack. Needless to say my other 9 did not hit the river so the short stack and I handed our chips to the lucky bugger and busted out of the tournament.

You know what though? I took a few deep breaths, closed my laptop, smiled to myself and went to bed. All those Zen lessons must be really paying off.

So thankyou PS for the $50 of fun / pain.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      aw noojbr,

sorry to hear you went bust. have you read the articles on bankroll management? it's saved me many times when luck is not on my side. i can surely say that i would be bust too without it. being successful in poker requires being able to handle the swings both emotionally and financially.

has anyone here made major bankroll from the capital without depositing?

i dont consider myself having a major bankroll but for what it's worth, i never deposited. :D however, you will find that some people here have indeed made a successful career as poker pro starting with their free $50. i dont want to drop names in case i make a mistake but maybe some other members might want to chime in here. :D

So thankyou PS for the $50 of fun / pain.

hehe... fun is good. pain, not so good :D

are you giving up on poker entirely? i certainly hope we still see more of you around.

smiles,
      wendy
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for your comments.

No I am not giving up just gonna deposit and carry on. I think I was being a bit stupid with the free 50 because I couldn't stop thinking of it as "not real money" so I was playing too high stakes / big buy ins and wasting it on Omaha (which I dont really know how to play).

Once my own money is in I will be super strict about buy in / stakes etc because it is my own money.

Its a shame because I would have loved to be one of those "never deposited" guys :)
    • illusionist09
      illusionist09
      Basic
      hey m8... i wouldnt worry to much about going busto =P happens to almost everyone at some point, better to be $50 now rather the a $50k bankroll later lol.... If yu are fairly new to the game and realli want to learn the ins and outs of poker, my advice to yu is start playing small buy-in single tables SnG's.. its gives yu a much better chance of winning then the MMT's... ring games are much more complex.... start easy and build some solid foundations, then when yu can see ur game improving take the nxt step up....
      After all tom"durrrr"dwan started of playing $5 SnG's on titan poker and look where he is now....
      secret to success my friend is hardwork
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      my advice to yu is start playing small buy-in single tables SnG's.. its gives yu a much better chance of winning then the MMT's... ring games are much more complex.... start easy and build some solid foundations, then when yu can see ur game improving take the nxt step up....

Yeah I think I will step back from the MTTs for a bit, at my level its way too many hours of play for (usually) no pay off.
      So much more practice ahead of me before I can claim to be "good" at this game; man it's the complicated simple game I have ever played!

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the advice.

:)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by n00jbr
      Hey, thanks for your comments.

No I am not giving up just gonna deposit and carry on. I think I was being a bit stupid with the free 50 because I couldn't stop thinking of it as "not real money" so I was playing too high stakes / big buy ins and wasting it on Omaha (which I dont really know how to play).

Once my own money is in I will be super strict about buy in / stakes etc because it is my own money.

Its a shame because I would have loved to be one of those "never deposited" guys :)
      weee! glad that you're not leaving us. make sure that you deposit using links from the site so that you will continue upgrading in status and unlocking more valuable content. here's a list of pokerrooms that can be tracked via PokerStrategy.com. make sure you follow the instructions. i know i regret having an account untracked. don't want you to make the same mistake. if we can help you in any more way, just give a shout :D
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      Unfortunately I was way active on PKR before I discovered this site. I mailed PKR asking about retracking but so far they are completely ignoring me :(

Gonna put money on PartyPoker and 888 both of which are tracked here so its all good. Wish I could track my PKR tho, especially now they are bringing out the 2D client...

This site is pretty awesome in terms of what it offer, as you say I am kicking myself for not finding it sooner and playing so much untracked poker!
    • n00jbr
      n00jbr
      Bronze
      Accidental double post, can't figure out how to delete... ignore this message... lol.