Diary of an Amateur Plumber

• supergaijin
      supergaijin
      Bronze
      Greeting PS'ers!

I have decided to take a step back and reduce my volume (already very low) and focus more on finding my leaks and improving my game. So this is going to be my blog primarily about my journey through analyzing my game and plugging some of my many leaks.

Here is a bit about me... I am a happily married father of 1; hopefully 2 in the next year or so. Between my family and work Poker generally has to take a back seat and I can usually only play about 4-6 shortish 1-3 hour sessions a week. Irony is if I was making money I could justify more time but I can't make money without first putting in the time so it is a bit of a catch 22. I started playing poker casually back in 2005 @ poker stars playing micro limit Holdem and gave SNG a try then moved over to FTP where I played most of my time. Then when I discovered PS.com I worked through my $50 starting capital on WH playing SnG and built it up to $250. At my peak I got my total BR up to about $400 after some solid $5 Sit n Go results and moved up to $10's... then came the downswing and I am now sitting here with current BR of $120.

I have decided to take a bit of a break from the SnG's for a while (play the odd session here and there to build up my Strategy points) and focus on improving my BSS game on both FR and SH. So my plan over the next few months is as follows:

[] review results by position & Starting hand to identify which positions and subsequently starting hands I am losing money on to see where I need to adjust my starting hand range.

[] Conduct full session review of my at least my 10 worst sessions at FR & SH tables respectively and post minimum of 5 hands from each for evaluation feedback.

[] Make notes on trends within losing sessions of lines / actions that are tending to lose money eg. calling down to often or not often enough C-Bet success frequency etc and start to conduct trending on where these lines are working and not working to improve

[] Do a review of 1 BSS pS.com articles / week and post in blog on what I have taken from it and how I can apply it to improve my game.

[] cut down to max 2 tables at a time of NL5 to focus better on forming reads and developing notes for at least 2K+ hands and review Win rate before moving up in stake or adding additional tables

[] Do a review after every new session to see if I have applied lessons learned above and post at least 3 hands / session to evaluation forums for review and discussion.

I am hoping some other BSS players out there who are struggling with their game will follow along with me and participate together on what they are finding in their games so that we can motivate and help each other!

In my next post I will provide graphs and info on my overall lifetime results in NL as well as discuss my overall stats to date.
  • 7 replies
    • supergaijin
      supergaijin
      Bronze
      So time to get started below are some links to my graphs:

Lifetime NL Cash Game Graph

Player Details chart PT3 for NL

NL Rush all limits

I have decided to start by looking at my SH stats and improving my SH game first:

Hands Played: 1893
      BB / 100: 1.75
      VPiP: 19.18%
      PFR: 13.21%
      Flop C-Bet: 69%

graph:

Going to start reviewing stats based on position and reviewing worst hands...
    • supergaijin
      supergaijin
      Bronze
      Hi anyone who is maybe lurking and reading this!

Been a busy start to the week and have played very little... bad run on SH sit n go's at WH has continued and I have annihilated my BR on that site :(

I have found some time to start reviewing my Wins / Losses by position and identified (not surprisingly) that my biggest losses are coming from the BB. Although I am ahead of the forced bet (losing .33 BB / hand not a full 1 on avg) how does that compare to other people?

Was able to spend some time analyzing what kinds of hands I am experiencing the biggest losses and try and see if I can make adjustments:

1) Connectors (suited and unsuited) are resulting in my biggest losses. Resolve to get involved in less pots with them as they end up costing to chase down draws. Will now only defend with them in multiway pots where the pot and implied odds are right and even then only suited really and let the unsuited connectors go.

2) Unsuited Ax type hands. Why am I playing them (PFR of 13%???) so regularly for re-steals. I think these are an example of my desire to try and get too tricky in low limit games with 3 and even 4 bets as re-steals against unknown players that just result in me spewing chips.

Here are a couple of examples:

What was I thinking??

Everest - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $4.26
      BTN: $11.79
      SB: $9.75
      Hero (BB): $11.88
      UTG: $9.65
      MP: $5.78

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:club: 7:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.30, fold, Hero raises to $0.90, BTN calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) A:spade: K:club: 8:spade:
      Hero bets $1.20, BTN raises to $2.40, Hero raises to $10.98 and is all-in, BTN calls $8.49 and is all-in

Turn: ($23.63, 2 players) 5:club:

River: ($23.63, 2 players) 4:spade:

and a couple of connector hands where I got myself in trouble not really knowing where I was going with the hand against unknown players:

NL5 SH - Suited Connectors BB

NL5 SH - A7o from the blid

So, overall I am pretty happy with my BB play but need to tighten up my play a little against unknown players with marginal hands but generally speaking the solid hands I am defending with are turning out to be profitable.

So if anyone out there is finding this interesting post and let me know what you think; or just troll me and tell me what a fish I am ;)

cheers!!
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      Welcome to the forum, and a nice start to your blog =)
      i tryed that once but didnt fallow up on it, however thinking about maybe starting again,
      It cought my eye that you are a father, congrats on that (i will become one in september) =) =)
      maybe why i started fallowing your blog =)
      are you just playing SH?
      about your blind ''problem'' i think almost evrybody is loosing from the blinds, and yours is well within what i'd call resonable, however there is allways ways for improvement, in my last full reveiw i noticed that actually SB was my biggest loosing position, kynda wierd, it was at -46. and i realized that i was overadjusting to moving up limits, and fighting back way too much from there, and two even three barreling unknown opponents and never giving credit to a BTN raise, this can become bloody especially against unknown opponents, i however got my act together from there and am down to about 20''ish'' wich for the moment is good,

just something to consider, dont know if it applys to you.

About the suited connectors, i think you shouldnt give them up entierly, not the 9T types, but be more positionally aware when playing them, maybe more only BTN and CO, for steal, and some equity and playability if called, and as you said when implyed odds are too much to resist... =) =) =)

keep on improving, and writing, and feel welcome to add me as friend in community (think i only have one and he doesent seem to be around anymore) am up for discussing poker any time, maybe exchange some poker advice and fathering advice would be well appriciated lol =)

Enjoy and use the material on this site, it's priceless...
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hi, nice read so far keep up the good work! I'm losing about the same amount from the big blind as you are. -0.23 big blinds per hand if my maths is correct. In recent sessions I've actually been winning from the big blind and I think the change has come from managing my resteals properly (and maybe getting dealt good cards :f_p: )

The first thing to bear in mind is that we should 3bet from the blinds only for value against fish. But we can open up our value range to include hands like JJ, TT and AQs because they'll call us with much much worse hands. Obviously you do have to be careful when you're doing this because you will still be out of position on the flop so you need hands that have easy playability. So make sure they're suited if they aren't paired in general.

Against regs we should have the opposite approach. We should 3bet hands like QQ and AK for value still but also 3bet a polarised range made up of hands that aren't good enough to call but are too good to fold. I like to 3bet with suited aces and suited connectors here. Suitedness is very important because alot of regs will call from the button a percentage of the time so we need the extra equity in 3bet pots.

Against both opponents you should be calling with cards that can flop strong one pair type hands. Broadways. These are the easiest kind of hands to play out of position against a wide range as it's often hard to get value with things like suited connectors out of position when they flop a strong hand or draw.

Hope that helps and good luck at the tables!
    • supergaijin
      supergaijin
      Bronze
      Thanks for reading and the support! really appreciate it. I am going to try and do a meaningful post at least once or twice a week. Good to know some people are enjoying it so far.

Originally posted by mongomob
      It cought my eye that you are a father, congrats on that (i will become one in september) =) =)
      maybe why i started fallowing your blog =)
      are you just playing SH?
      Congratulations!! Being a dad is great but it does make playing poker as a part time pursuit kind of challenging :)

I have actually played more FR before now but I think I want to focus on SH as 1) I have had slightly more success (but no sample size) and 2) I like the speed of it; more hands / hour 3) with only 5 opponents and more action from each I find it is a little easier to get a bead on the table vibe than FR in much less time

about your blind ''problem'' i think almost evrybody is loosing from the blinds, and yours is well within what i'd call resonable, however there is allways ways for improvement, in my last full reveiw i noticed that actually SB was my biggest loosing position, kynda wierd, it was at -46. and i realized that i was overadjusting to moving up limits, and fighting back way too much from there, and two even three barreling unknown opponents and never giving credit to a BTN raise, this can become bloody especially against unknown opponents, i however got my act together from there and am down to about 20''ish'' wich for the moment is good,
      I know I shouldn't be too disappointed with this level of losses from BB but wanted to start looking for trends and holes somewhere. I am actually just above break even from the SB (although not by much) as the tables have been fairly passive and have seen quite a number of opportunities to see a flop very cheap in multi-way pots allowing me to capitalize when I flop big hands or big draws.

About the suited connectors, i think you shouldnt give them up entierly, not the 9T types, but be more positionally aware when playing them, maybe more only BTN and CO, for steal, and some equity and playability if called, and as you said when implyed odds are too much to resist... =) =) =)

Agreed! I have just been overplaying them... like that T9s hand where I can't play them tricky at these limits. Where the odds are good play them and then continue based on board texture and post flop action

keep on improving, and writing, and feel welcome to add me as friend in community (think i only have one and he doesent seem to be around anymore) am up for discussing poker any time, maybe exchange some poker advice and fathering advice would be well appriciated lol =)
      Added you!

Hi, nice read so far keep up the good work! I'm losing about the same amount from the big blind as you are. -0.23 big blinds per hand if my maths is correct. In recent sessions I've actually been winning from the big blind and I think the change has come from managing my resteals properly (and maybe getting dealt good cards fish p )
      Where you re-stealing to regularly or too few before? What limits you play and ball park re-steal? (if you don't mind me asking)

The first thing to bear in mind is that we should 3bet from the blinds only for value against fish. But we can open up our value range to include hands like JJ, TT and AQs because they'll call us with much much worse hands. Obviously you do have to be careful when you're doing this because you will still be out of position on the flop so you need hands that have easy playability. So make sure they're suited if they aren't paired in general.

Against regs we should have the opposite approach. We should 3bet hands like QQ and AK for value still but also 3bet a polarised range made up of hands that aren't good enough to call but are too good to fold. I like to 3bet with suited aces and suited connectors here. Suitedness is very important because alot of regs will call from the button a percentage of the time so we need the extra equity in 3bet pots.
      No more spewy 3 bet / call lines with A7o :s_mad: but yeh; definitely see your point. Not getting big enough sample to fully recognize the regs yet.

thanks again and will post again in a few days!
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supergaijin
      Hi, nice read so far keep up the good work! I'm losing about the same amount from the big blind as you are. -0.23 big blinds per hand if my maths is correct. In recent sessions I've actually been winning from the big blind and I think the change has come from managing my resteals properly (and maybe getting dealt good cards fish p )
      Where you re-stealing to regularly or too few before? What limits you play and ball park re-steal? (if you don't mind me asking)
      I'm playing NL10 at the moment. I think my 3bet from the blinds frequency in recent sessions has increased against the regs but decreased and become more for value against fish. Overall my 3bet from the blinds was about 6% but is now about 12%.
    • Bendafatman
      Bendafatman
      Bronze

Everest - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $4.26
      BTN: $11.79
      SB: $9.75
      Hero (BB): $11.88
      UTG: $9.65
      MP: $5.78

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:club: 7:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.30, fold, Hero raises to $0.90, BTN calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) A:spade: K:club: 8:spade:
      Hero bets $1.20, BTN raises to $2.40, Hero raises to $10.98 and is all-in, BTN calls $8.49 and is all-in

Turn: ($23.63, 2 players) 5:club:

River: ($23.63, 2 players) 4:spade:

I would have folded pre! Btw, what was the outcome?

NL5 SH - Suited Connectors BB
      Yeah i would check the river. He didnt raise by much preflop and a weak bet on flop, although he called so raise and turn bet so Id put him on AA-KK. What did he have?

NL5 SH - A7o from the blid

His min raises suggest weakness so Id probably try and raise him out of it. But otherwise id fold turn! You know what he had?